Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 05:34:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What if Bitcoin was a currency?  (Read 2477 times)
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 05:27:23 PM

Very little would change as far as taxes.

There are a few somewhat complicated tax laws regarding what rates you
pay on foreign exchange (forex) profits or losses, that would be then applied
To bitcoin profits or losses would it have been declared currency. (For example, the 60/40
rule which blends long term and short term capital gains rates.)

I'm guessing the main reason why bitcoin is declared as a property is simply that
the powers that be do not want to legitimize bitcoin
To the extent of officially calling it currency.

Also, had it been declared currency, it may have fallen under more stringent regulations
as far as who can set up an exchange or brokerage, so it is probably a good thing.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 06:50:21 PM

Lets all pitch in and buy a sovereign Island, declare its official currency as bitcoin.

Setup our own exchange there and a data center to host pools.

Think of the press that would get  Cheesy

Just need to find an Island now  Huh

Edit : Forget the Island, Bitcoin to the Moon ^^

It would be complete chaos without a proper government. The island's population would probably die off within a few months.... Tongue

Excuse me, but these days 'chaos' comes from the existence of "proper government". Free markets with very little Gov't (more libertarian than any current country) can do much better than what we see in the world today.

2double0
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1105

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 08:27:04 PM

Lets all pitch in and buy a sovereign Island, declare its official currency as bitcoin.

Setup our own exchange there and a data center to host pools.

Think of the press that would get  Cheesy

Just need to find an Island now  Huh

Edit : Forget the Island, Bitcoin to the Moon ^^

It would be complete chaos without a proper government. The island's population would probably die off within a few months.... Tongue

Excuse me, but these days 'chaos' comes from the existence of "proper government". Free markets with very little Gov't (more libertarian than any current country) can do much better than what we see in the world today.

And that would attract criminals to the island, no thank you from me to live there.
dub
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 09:09:44 PM

What would be the difference?  Tax laws?

No DEBT.
No INFLATION.
jc01480

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

Nope..

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 09:26:37 PM

What would be the difference?  Tax laws?

No DEBT.
No INFLATION.

Got your own sewage treatment, water supply, food sources, electricity, road paver?  C'mon, get real.
StevenS

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 10:31:23 PM

Can someone explain to me HOW Bitcoin is property?

"Property" is treated as follows under US tax law:

When you buy it, you don't pay tax;
When you use it, you don't pay tax;
When you lose it, you don't pay tax;
When you sell (or exchange) it, you pay a tax based on its capital gain, which is defined as its value (in USD) when you sold it, minus its value (again, in USD) when you obtained it.

For tax purposes, BTC is pretty much like stock in a public company.

It's not like physical property, because it doesn't depreciate, and isn't used in business (like furniture or paper, for example).

Please correct me if I'm be wrong, but I don't think Bitcoin is subject to property tax.

I think the big difference between property and currency is when you use it to buy something. Since by US law it's property, you have to record its value (in USD) when you use it to purchase something, in order to correctly calculate capital gain. If it were currency, you wouldn't have to do this, but would wait until the end of your tax year and then figure out how much you have left and how much it's worth.

It seems to me that it's complicated either way, but there are many systems in place that can calculate your taxes when you deal with foreign currencies, so it would be much easier if BTC was in the same class. Usually, when tax entities (e.g. you) sell property such as inventory, real property, tangible property, or securities (e.g. stock), it is exchanged for USD, which makes the accounting fairly simply. If BTC is exchanged for something such as lunch, there isn't an easy way to put that in your books.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 10:39:06 PM

Can someone explain to me HOW Bitcoin is property?

Please correct me if I'm be wrong, but I don't think Bitcoin is subject to property tax.

That would make sense since property tax is generally assessed locally.

Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 10:39:32 PM

What would be the difference?  Tax laws?

No DEBT.
No INFLATION.

Got your own sewage treatment, water supply, food sources, electricity, road paver?  C'mon, get real.

Government is not the only entity capable of providing services. This idea that we somehow only became a civilization because of governments is truly a sad statement on how comfortable we have gotten under their ever growing boot.

jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 11:05:04 PM

Government is not the only entity capable of providing services. This idea that we somehow only became a civilization because of governments is truly a sad statement on how comfortable we have gotten under their ever growing boot.

Indeed. The 'food sources' is especially funny. Or it would be, would it not be for the worry that this is indeed where we're headed.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: