Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 06:31:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin big earners?  (Read 3571 times)
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2012, 05:06:34 AM

I'll bet Casascius is doing alright for himself.  Maybe he's made 5-10k?

We can approximate the money that MTGOX makes and it is pretty big.  16 million dollars volume in the past 30 days.  So they made about $160,000 gross in that time period. 

Tradehill did $600,000 so about $6000 gross.  Not shabby but with the costs of running a business and some big losses and you can see the outcome. 

A big pool is doing about 600 BTC a month gross if it does 2% of 30000 BTC in blocks found, so at $6 a BTC that is a paltry $3600 a month compared to gox but still not bad.  You can tell in the past, at BTC peaks, a pool could have done pretty well. 

kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 17, 2012, 05:37:49 AM

We can approximate the money that MTGOX makes and it is pretty big.  16 million dollars volume in the past 30 days.  So they made about $160,000 gross in that time period. 

And he even sold hosting & domain name for bitcoin.

phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1020

View Profile
February 17, 2012, 08:38:57 AM

Well, I'm sure there are enthusiasts like me who see the price go up and conclude they should mine more or see the price crumble and send money to Gox. I would only take my money out if I really needed it but I fear a bit that by the time I have to take it out, I will be in for a great loss.
But there are sure also people that know how to trade and recognize a bubble when they see one. These guys are not emotionally connected to the idea of BTC but see this as gambling. If all the BTC were owned by enthusiastic supporters of the project, I wouldn't loose faith that easily Wink

+1

"I find [some people's] lack of faith disturbing."

I find [some people's] blind faith disturbing.

Actually, that is not exactly true.  I'm glad to see it because these people may help me end up in the green, but I suspect that Bitcoin will ultimately survive, if it survives at all, on the back of people who have a more coldly pragmatic view of the world around us and who are innately aware of both the virtues and the warts of the solution...and of alternate solutions (i.e., gold, or even the USD for that matter as everything has it's strengths and weaknesses.)

thanks for passing back that ball: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI8GEidaMMI  Tongue

to be serious:

of course blind faith is always bad, that's not what I meant. lately I have been reading a magazine about the biggest inventions. some genius ideas took decades to take off. time was running slower a couple hundred years ago, but still. the concept of cryptocurrency is huge and I am quite sure it will prevail.

the question is, will it be bitcoin? network effects help a lot, so if there are no big mistakes it could be.

Boussac
Legendary

Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2012, 02:57:08 PM

I heard that Facebook has applied for a Money Transmitter Licence for their facebook credits.
If its become perfectly legal to trade in FB credits I wonder on what ground ANY government will forbid its citizen from trading in bitcoins ..refusing them what they granted to FB (I can run my own free software social network, including bitcoins)

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: