Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 11:08:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Question. Are paper wallets reloadable?  (Read 924 times)
commandrix (OP)

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 06:05:08 PM

Just curious, because I'd like to be able to explain to a friend who is a Bitcoin noob about paper wallets.
cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 06:07:53 PM

They're just a normal bitcoin address.  The point of a paper wallet is that it's secret.  If you spend it then it's not a secret anymore so reloading it would defeat the purpose.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
commandrix (OP)

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 06:09:28 PM

That's true, but my friend is asking me, "Can they be used like a debit card, or maybe my Starbucks card that I can add more money to when it gets low?"
joshraban76

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 06:11:17 PM

That's true, but my friend is asking me, "Can they be used like a debit card, or maybe my Starbucks card that I can add more money to when it gets low?"

Since they are normal bitcoin address, then it reloadable.

I can't find why it can't be used like this at any place which accept BTC.

\   \  \ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\◥◣◢◤//////////////// /  /   /
Win88.me ❖ Fair, Trusted Online BTC Gambling ❖
/   /  / ////////////////◢◤◥◣\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \  \   \
powerbitcoin

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 06:12:02 PM

They are, but you'd have to know the private key as well to reload it.

If you want to to have something that you're gonna be spending a lot, consider opening an account at coinbase.com - its like a checking account for bitcoins! Paper wallets are more of like a savings account, not something you would spend all the time. You could just put a little money into your coinbase account, and put your savings into a paper wallet.
RichG

Activity: 434

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 06:13:50 PM

It is a Bitcoin address. But, there is a trust factor involved with paper wallets. Once the private key has been imported to a client, this trust is gone.

In short: Yes, you can reload them, but no one would accept it, since the key has been added to a client.
RichG

Activity: 434

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 06:14:41 PM

If you want to to have something that you're gonna be spending a lot, consider opening an account at coinbase.com - its like a checking account for bitcoins! Paper wallets are more of like a savings account, not something you would spend all the time. You could just put a little money into your coinbase account, and put your savings into a paper wallet.

No. You only need the public key (address) to reload the wallet.
newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1049

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 06:17:51 PM

No. You only need the public key (address) to reload the wallet.

Depends what he mean by reload. If reload means adding btc then only the address is required. If reload mean loading the address to some bitcoin client to spend it partially, then private key is required.

Gianluca95
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1196

Reputation first.

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 06:17:54 PM

Paper wallet is a normal bitcoin address, like normal bitcoin address Smiley

Only difference is that Paper wallet is offline, therefore is much safe Smiley

█████████████████████████████
███▀█████████████████████▀███
███  ▀▀███████████████▀▀  ███
███     ████▀▀ ▀▀████     ███
███     ██▀       ▀██     ███
███     ██         ██     ███
███     ██▄       ▄██     ███
███     ████▄▄ ▄▄████     ███
███  ▄▄███████████████▄▄  ███
███▄█████████████████████▄███
.Mixin Safe.

▄███████▄     
██▀   ▀██
             ▄███████▄
██▄   ▄██             ██▀   ▀██
▀███████▀             ██▄   ▄██
   ███     ▄███████▄  ▀███████▀
   ███▀▀   ██▀   ▀██     ███
   █████   ██▄   ▄██     ███▀▀
   ▀▀▀     ▀███████▀     █████
              ███        ▀▀▀
              ███▀▀
              █████
              ▀▀▀
2/3 Multisig Decentralized
Bitcoin Custody Solutions
💎
💪
🔓
CONFIDENT
RELIABLE
RECOVERABLE
..GET STARTED..
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4489

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 06:20:53 PM

think of a paper wallet like a paypal account. the public key is the username(email) the private key is the password.

tell all your friends the public key (paypal username) so that they can send you funds, as much as they like and as many times as they like. but never tell anyone the private key (paypal password), or you'll soon find out those you have told would move funds out.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3231

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 11:15:34 PM

Yes, you can do that, but it seems inconvenient. The purpose of a paper wallet is to make it difficult for anyone (including you) to spend the coins. In order to spend the coins in a paper wallet you have to import it into a regular wallet first. It is better to think of a paper wallet as a savings account.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: