Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 05:42:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: WTS 1880-1921 Morgan Silver Dollars  (Read 1621 times)
vampire (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 12, 2012, 04:27:38 PM
Last edit: February 28, 2012, 04:46:20 PM by vampire

Selling Morgan Silver Dollars

Large photo: https://i.imgur.com/1Xa2i.jpg

1880-P
1880-P
1882-P

1882-P
1883-O
1891-O
1921-S

Value: 1 United States dollar
Weight: 26.73 g
Silver weight: 24.057 (0.77oz)
Diameter: 38.1 mm
Composition: 90.0% Silver 10.0% Copper

Payment: USD or Bitcoins via MT Gox Redeemable Code
Shipping : USPS with Delivery Confirmation Number in a padded envelope, Continental USA only
Price: 6.5BTC

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
dmcurser

Activity: 502

View Profile
February 12, 2012, 04:53:49 PM

what conditions are they in if junk silver why are you selling for about 4 dollars more then the silver value ?

1Q7TPBHHVmGCvqffYHpXCCBgbcBQ4NwXdW
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2012, 05:10:51 PM

what conditions are they in if junk silver why are you selling for about 4 dollars more then the silver value ?

I am no expert but the values are no where near $4.  $30 does not seem out of range.

http://values.hobbizine.com/morgan-dollars.html

dmcurser

Activity: 502

View Profile
February 12, 2012, 05:22:30 PM

i said are they junk silver coins which as of time of posting was 25.96 http://www.coinflation.com/silver_coin_values.html

1Q7TPBHHVmGCvqffYHpXCCBgbcBQ4NwXdW
Littleshop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2012, 06:44:06 PM

i said are they junk silver coins which as of time of posting was 25.96 http://www.coinflation.com/silver_coin_values.html

Of the 7 coins, only one appears anywhere near poor condition.  And by coin collecting standards it still probably makes good condition.

(from my earlier link)
Some notes about grading:

G - Good: Major design elements are outlined but details are gone; the date may not be sharp (but should be readable) and the rim may not be complete.
    VG - Very Good: Major design elements, letters and numerals are worn but clear.
    F - Fine: Major elements are still clear but details are worn away.
    VF - Very fine: Light even wear on high points, all lettering and design details are sharp.
    XF - Extremely Fine: All design details are sharp; some mint luster remains.
    UNC – Uncirculated: No wear at all; there may be some contact marks and there may be some dulling of the luster.
    BU – Brilliant Uncirculated: a perfect coin with bright consistent luster and no scratches or contact marks.
    MS-65 - Mint State: These are prices for coins that have been certified a "65" by a third party grading company.

JBDive

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 13, 2012, 05:55:34 AM

They appear to have all been cleaned pushing them into the "cull" category unless there is something special about any one of them and the 1880's don't appear to be double strikes. That puts them at spot plus a bit. Current value as of this posting is $26.13 based on silver at $33.87. I see people paying more than spot plus a touch and I just don't get it. Silver would have to go over $42 to be even at the posted $30 plus shipping and I see people buying Morgans at prices which to break even would mean silver would have to cross $60.

Not saying silver won't go that high nor making any comments on the seller. I just wonder who is buying at these markups? At least with BTC I can justify some premium over a local cash sale so something more along $28 might be doable.
Littleshop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2012, 04:01:42 PM

They appear to have all been cleaned pushing them into the "cull" category unless there is something special about any one of them and the 1880's don't appear to be double strikes. That puts them at spot plus a bit.

I am sorry, I am not the seller but just find it funny what some people will post.  You are calling these coins culls?  You really just must want them cheaper.

http://www.acoin.com/answerwizard/answerwizardcull.html

Coins that technically grade above Good by wear, but have a big problem can also be considered cull coins. Big problem is somewhat subjective, but might include the following:

very large scratches
        holes
        a bend (the entire coin being bent)
        extremely dark toning (to the point that the coin can't be read),
        pitting,
        corrosion,
        severe fake color in some more common coins,
        severe retooling,
        repairs
        severe verdigris in copper
        severe marks (like when a car drives over a coin on the road)
        being a common coin in combination with other factors
        other major issues

vampire (OP)

Activity: 574

View Profile
February 13, 2012, 06:53:58 PM

Thanks for the all feedback guys. It's my first time to sell some older coins here. I am still researching what they worth, I will update my OT as needed.
zerokwel

Activity: 464
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 13, 2012, 07:23:39 PM

Hey the more sellers the better... Pity not many people ship international ie U.K.

JBDive

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 13, 2012, 09:50:56 PM

They appear to have all been cleaned pushing them into the "cull" category unless there is something special about any one of them and the 1880's don't appear to be double strikes. That puts them at spot plus a bit.

I am sorry, I am not the seller but just find it funny what some people will post.  You are calling these coins culls?  You really just must want them cheaper.

http://www.acoin.com/answerwizard/answerwizardcull.html

Coins that technically grade above Good by wear, but have a big problem can also be considered cull coins. Big problem is somewhat subjective, but might include the following:

No I said it pushes toward culls or basically melt value for most of these. Per the Big Red Book on Coins

"Slightly worn coins ("sliders) that have been cleaned and conditioned ("whizzed") to simulate Uncirculated luster are worth considerably less than perfect pieces."

For these coins and the 2010 book the prices are (sorry on formatting, tried to put in table and it looked worse):

Coin       VF-20      EF-40      AU-50
1880      22           25           30
1882      22           25           30
1883-O   33           25           30
1891-O   25           30           50
1921-S   20           21           22

So we need to take each coin down one grade more or less based on what looks like coins that have been cleaned. Only the 1921 IMHO could be AU, one of the 1880's is probably EF, the other 1880, 1882, 1883, 1891 probably in the VF range and the 1882 not rated. That said and I am not a professional grader and can't see the reverse you have no coins that meet AU grade due to the cleaning and the EF's get downgraded as well. There are times cleaning does not take away that much value but thats when you have to have a coin professionally graded. So IMHO not one of these counts are worth more than their melt, melt today is $26.04

I'm not complaining about the coins or the seller. I'd buy these at melt plus some for trouble but not at $30 plus shipping of $2, that's roughly 30% over spot at my door. Again I think I mentioned buying with BTC should add some to the cost as well probably since it's not a cash in hand exchange.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: