Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:31:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoinica charges for open positions, pays you for storing funds on them  (Read 3020 times)
eldentyrell
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

felonious vagrancy, personified

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2012, 05:56:04 AM

Can someone explain this to me like I'm 5?

Dear little legitnick,

Since you are five years old, you should not be using Bitcoinica.

Happy?

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
stochastic

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 14, 2012, 06:07:58 AM

Can someone explain this to me like I'm 5?

From here

When you open a trade, you sell one currency and buy another. Since the currencies charge different interest rates, you can either collect interest (positive swap) or pay interest (negative swap).

If you borrow a low-rate currency to buy a high rate currency, you should earn interest. If you do the opposite, you pay.

Let's say you are trading USD/JPY. If you want to long USD/JPY what you are in fact doing is buying USD with your JPY. However, since you don't actually have any JPY, you need to borrow it first and use a part of your margin as collateral for that loan. Once you have borrowed the necessary amount of JPY, you can use it to buy USD and there is your trade. Now, since you actually borrowed the JPY, you have to pay interest on that loan at the prevailing rate until you have paid back the loan (closed your trade), and since you are holding USD, you are being paid interest on that sum for as long as you are holding it. The difference between what you are paying and what you are collecting in interest is what your swap will come out to be.

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: