Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 10:00:20 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A Stonewall Example of Market Manipulation/Engineering?  (Read 3036 times)
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 03:40:41 PM

But it isn't due to 'the free market' as Adam Smith intended it. This is whale ramping and chart formation engineering in a cornered market.

It's a zero-sum game. For you to win someone else has to loose.

It isn't and they don't. I sell BTC to you because you want BTC and I want to buy a car. You get the BTC you want. I get the car I want. We both win.

good point; zero-sum only if you consider btc itself as having no value.

i am satoshi
btc6000

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 03:42:28 PM

But it isn't due to 'the free market' as Adam Smith intended it. This is whale ramping and chart formation engineering in a cornered market.

It isn't and they don't. I sell BTC to you because you want BTC and I want to buy a car. You get the BTC you want. I get the car I want. We both win.

I was talking purely in the sense of trading against a counterparty. You're alluding to overcoming the 'double coincidence of wants'.

Cheers

We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated, governments in the civilized world—no longer a government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and the duress of small groups of dominant men.
MatTheCat (OP)

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 03:47:49 PM

BTC is worth what I can get for it. What I can get for it is directly related to it's USD value. It is a zero sum game. Someone has to pay.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
btc6000

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 04:08:47 PM

BTC is worth what I can get for it. What I can get for it is directly related to it's USD value. It is a zero sum game. Someone has to pay.

In a FOREX sense; trading BTC/USD currency pair against a counterparty, yes.

Lower volatility will come with market depth.

Organic price appreciation will come with adoption (transactions)

We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated, governments in the civilized world—no longer a government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and the duress of small groups of dominant men.
BTCtrader71

Activity: 784
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 04:29:47 PM

For the reasons I describe in my opening post, this bullish cup n handle formation has come about in a very strange and inorganic fashion. Even permabulls who were watching the action and were aware of the temporary swap rate hike on Bitfinex are smelling fish.

You may be referring to me as one of the permabills (which I am). I did initially speculate something fishy with the swaps, ie that someone scooped up all the USD swap offers on bitfinex and held them briefly, the purpose being to prevent the price from rebounding after a flash crash (high 600s to low 600s, two days ago). But as I thought about it more, it seems unlikely that it would be a very effective strategy. There is simply too much volume on other markets; I think soaking up the swaps would not be strong enough to control the market, even for a short period of time.

The reason I thought of it in the first place was that I needed an explanation of why the USD swap offers would be disappearing during a flash crash, which means that people are selling BTC rather than buying it. But then I thought of what I think is a more plausible and less nefarious explanation: the flash crash triggered a great big slew of limit buy orders, and THOSE are what soaked up the USD swaps. Duhhh! Makes perfect sense, and I don't know why I didn't think of it the first time around ...  Roll Eyes

BTC: 14oTcy1DNEXbcYjzPBpRWV11ZafWxNP8EU
rjp55

Activity: 798
Merit: 250

CurioInvest [IEO Live]

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2014, 04:35:23 PM

Everyone else is affected by whatever circumstance a single trader cries about. Adapt or die.

░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░                                         
              ░░▒▓▓███▓▓░░████████████████▓░                                   
          ░▓▓▓▒██████████░ ███████████████████▒                                 
       ░▓██▒░  ███████████▓ ▒███████████████████▓▓▓▓▓████▓▓                     
  ▒▓▓▓██▒     ████████   ▒██░ ██████████▓▒░      █████████████████▓▓▒░         
 ▓█▒░░        ▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓  ░▒███░ ▓▓▓▒░░   ░░▒▒▓▓███▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒       ░▒▓███████▓▒░   
 █                                               ░▒▒▓▓██████████▓▒░░░▒▓██████▓█
 █▒  ▒▓▓▒░▒▓█▓▓▓▒▒▒▒░░                                    ░▒▓▓████████▓▓▒░   ▒█
 ░█ ▒████▓  ▒▒░▒▒▓▓▓▓██████████▓▓▓▒▒▒░                            ░▒      ░▓██ 
  ▒███▒▓▓██  ░              ▒░░█████▓▓▓▓██▓▓▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▒▒░░          ░░ ▓██████▓▓▒
    ▓█▓▓▒▓█▓ ▒              ▒▒▓███  ███████████▓▓█▓░░▒▒░░░  ▓███████▓████████ ▓█
     ░█  ▓██▓▒░░▒▓▓▓▓▓████████▓░   ████▒▒▓▓▓▓██████      ░ ████████▒█████▓▒  ▒█
      ▓▓▓▓████▓▒░░                ▒███ ░███▓█▓▓████░    ▓ ████████▓▓█▓▒    ▓▓▓ 
      ░▓█████▓▒▓██████▓▒░         ▒██▓ ██▒  ██▓▓████    ▒  ░            ▒██▒   
        ░▒         ░▒▓█████████▓▒  ██▒ █▓    ██▒█████    ▒▒▒░░░▒░░░█▓▒▓██▓     
                          ░▒▓█████████ ██    ▓█▒█████▓             ░▓██▓       
                                  ░▒▓█▓ ██ ░▒██░██████▓  ▒▒▒░   ▒▓███▒         
                                      █▓▒▓████░▓████▓ ▓▓▓██████████░           
                                       ▓█▓▓▓▓▓█████▓          ░▒▒               
                                         ▒▓▓██▓▒░                               

|
|

█████████████████████████
██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
██ ███████████▀     ██ ██
██ ██████████▌   ▄▄▄██ ██
██ ██████████   ██████ ██
██ ███████          ██ ██
██ ███████▄▄▄   ▄▄▄▄██ ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

██ █████████████▀█████ ██
██ ███ ▀█████▀      ▀█ ██
██ ███     ▀▀      ▐██ ██
██ ███▌            ███ ██
██ ████▌          ▄███ ██
██ ██████       ▄█████ ██
██ ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████ ██
██ ███████████████████ ██

██ ████████████▀▀▀████ ██
██ ████████▀▀     ████ ██
██ █████▀    ▄▀  ▐████ ██
██ ██▀     ▄▀    ▐████ ██
██ ████▄▄ █▀     █████ ██
██ ██████ ▄▄█   ▐█████ ██
██ ████████████ ██████ ██
██ ███████████████████ ██
|
Whitepaper
Ann Thread
Bounty Thread
T.Stuart

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

One Token to Move Anything Anywhere

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 06:50:53 PM

...positive buy signal after positive buy signal, which eventually ignites the market into action...

Mat a new bull market is now building.

In a bull market the most sudden, unexpected movements are often upwards.

It's just the natural unfolding of the market. No underlying plan being implemented by a couple of whales to see here.

███████████████▄▄▄                     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄                     ▄█████▀
████████████████████▄                ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄                 ▄█████▀
              ▀▀█████▄             ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄             ▄█████▀
                 █████▌          ▄█████▀ ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄         ▄█████▀
                 ▐█████        ▄█████▀     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▄█████▀
                 █████▌      ▄█████▀         ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄ ▄█████▀
              ▄▄█████▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████████▀
████████████████████▀    ▄█████▀     ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▀
███████████████▀▀▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█▀
                                    ▀███████▀
                                      ▀███▀
                                        ▀
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
.◆ ◆ ◆ ONE TOKEN TO MOVE ANYTHING ANYWHERE ◆ ◆ ◆.
▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 07:08:35 PM

No it's not. It's a technical innovation with the potential to unleash massive efficiency gains for humanity. Tech advances are what drive civilization forward, and are not zero-sum.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 07:17:08 PM

All trading is about figuring out what the big players are doing, or trying to do, and exploiting them. Since they deal in large positions they are hamstrung by liquidity issues and their actions move the markets; this allows the smart smaller players to extract value from them. It's like being a sucker-fish on a whale or shark.

maker88

Activity: 336

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 12:46:00 AM

I was talking purely in the sense of trading against a counterparty. You're alluding to overcoming the 'double coincidence of wants'.

Cheers

he actually still loses. you got bitcoin, likely to appreciate greatly. he got a car. it will depreciate to nearly nothing in ten years.
Raystonn

Activity: 364

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 01:43:32 AM

I am convinced that we are going up

Mat, you are the best contrarian indicator ever.
MatTheCat (OP)

Activity: 840

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 02:11:34 AM

I am convinced that we are going up

Mat, you are the best contrarian indicator ever.

Don't worry. I folded my hand at $658. $10 loss per BTC.

But this is just a correction, of that I am sure. A much needed and much overdue correction.

$700-$800 still coming around the mountain.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
MOB

Activity: 493
Merit: 504

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 02:15:06 AM

Time to fortify the 580 bulwark?  Boo..it retreats.
amencon

Activity: 410

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 03:01:26 AM

Am I the only person who finds this endless "whale" stuff both boring and paranoid?
No.

There are rich people who invest out there.  Their moves will affect the market more than those investing less.  It's entirely common and predictable.
davidgdg

Activity: 551
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 12:09:30 PM

Cheers

he actually still loses. you got bitcoin, likely to appreciate greatly. he got a car. it will depreciate to nearly nothing in ten years.

He gets to drive babes around in a sports car for ten years. You get to stay at home watching charts on a screen.

"There is only one thing that is seriously morally wrong with the world, and that is politics. By 'politics' I mean all that, and only what, involves the State." Jan Lester "Escape from Leviathan"
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 06:16:19 PM

He gets to drive babes around in a sports car for ten years.

Bah tried that. You get bored in a month. Ten years? He'll blow his brains out in a year most.

Watching the charts, on the other hand, is never boring, because unlikes stupid babes it does tickle your imagination Smiley

i am satoshi
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 01:03:08 AM

the more I watch the shenanigans and utter bullshit trading on the Bitcoin exchanges, the more I am convinced that we are going up, because some whale entity has decided that we are going up and he/they have the clout to ensure that we do.

Mat you converted me to this viewpoint last week, and I posted literally 5 minutes before the $680-ish crash because ... well .. it took an IQ of twelve to figure out that's right about where they dumped last time.   

Obviously being pumped and dumped.  They don't have Gox to ride the $100 differences anymore, so they have to create their own.

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: