It's generic because there are so many different ways to go about it... Dwolla's by far the cheapest for US users (should only be charged $.25 total for the transfers between your bank and Gox).
[First 6 steps optional. If you already have a Paypal account, some people may
be willing to sell you Bitcoins at a premium for USD in Paypal. Check out the Currency Exchange subforum @ https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=53.0
-- it's quite possible nobody will be willing to sell to you because PayPal is ill-suited for such a transaction.]
1) Open a Dwolla account. Gox doesn't handle bank->GoxAccount except for expensive wire transfers. https://www.dwolla.com
2) Tether bank account to Dwolla (very similar to Paypal) @ https://www.dwolla.com/in/accounts.aspx?a=add
3) Initiate ACH transfer from bank to Dwolla @ https://www.dwolla.com/deposit
4) Wait ~3-5 business days for transfer to clear.
5) Goto MtGox, transfer funds from Dwolla to Gox account @ https://mtgox.com/trade/funding-options
(FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS!)
6) Buy bitcoins. I'll assume you're ignorant, not retarded, and can figure this out yourself.
7) If you're buying on a Tor site, deposit funds into your Tor site Bitcoin wallet by using https://mtgox.com/trade/funding-options
-- use the BTC address assigned to you by the Tor site.