Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:38:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Bitcoin still Decentralized Currency?  (Read 1481 times)
lg15x (OP)

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 03:27:00 AM

I read this report on coindesk. http://www.coindesk.com/private-china-meeting-bitcoin-mining-industry-leaders/

This is the question: Is Bitcoin still Decentralized? Or just like some people represent Federal Reserve of Bitcoin? So why merchant accepts Bitcoin and put their money in risk of New Federal Reserve?

PoS, Proof of Stake, has been brought to the world by Peercoin(PPC) almost 2 years. How many people think about this?

What's your opinion?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 03:29:06 AM

Of course it is. No one controls it and it can't be destroyed. The concentration of hash rate in one country is something that might need to be addressed in the future but the currency functions just fine. 

PHP.guru

Activity: 154
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 03:52:15 AM

The mining pools are pretty centralized so I wouldn't really say it's decentralized.

twistyfy

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 03:57:02 AM

I read this report on coindesk. http://www.coindesk.com/private-china-meeting-bitcoin-mining-industry-leaders/

This is the question: Is Bitcoin still Decentralized? Or just like some people represent Federal Reserve of Bitcoin? So why merchant accepts Bitcoin and put their money in risk of New Federal Reserve?

PoS, Proof of Stake, has been brought to the world by Peercoin(PPC) almost 2 years. How many people think about this?

What's your opinion?

It absolutely is
lg15x (OP)

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 03:57:21 AM

Of course it is. No one controls it and it can't be destroyed. The concentration of hash rate in one country is something that might need to be addressed in the future but the currency functions just fine. 

I cannot agree. This time "People in that room represented over 50% of the world’s bitcoin miner production". How about next time? 75%?

If "People in that room" make a decision to do short for bitcoin, and they may hold short on exchanges, what can we do?
Ron~Popeil

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 04:04:25 AM

I cannot agree. This time "People in that room represented over 50% of the world’s bitcoin miner production". How about next time? 75%?

If "People in that room" make a decision to do short for bitcoin, and they may hold short on exchanges, what can we do?

Like I said the concentration of hashing power in one country might be something that needs to be addressed but mining is only half the game. Also they can't really do much with it other than mine coins. It would take a huge effort to coordinate them to do something nefarious.

Chinese exchanges have been effecting price for a while now. If they all decide to short the price would adjust. To damage bit coin runs counter to their interests. 

lg15x (OP)

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 04:14:19 AM

Like I said the concentration of hashing power in one country might be something that needs to be addressed but mining is only half the game. Also they can't really do much with it other than mine coins. It would take a huge effort to coordinate them to do something nefarious.

Chinese exchanges have been effecting price for a while now. If they all decide to short the price would adjust. To damage bit coin runs counter to their interests. 

Do you know the margin trading on Bitfinex? Do you know the future trading of bitcoin? And if some big players have just sold out in high price?

I have to say, there's many ways to benefit from shorting the price.
luffy

Activity: 607

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 05:01:05 AM

gathering mining power in "one" place is really a problem. BTC needs to implement PoS to avoid this risk.
truly decentralized coin is the coin that their users can mine it also Wink
Ron~Popeil

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 05:08:47 AM

gathering mining power in "one" place is really a problem. BTC needs to implement PoS to avoid this risk.
truly decentralized coin is the coin that their users can mine it also Wink

PoS is an intriguing idea but would have to be very limited to avoid inflating the currency. Maybe it could be tied to the average number of confirmed lost coins per year.  

harveyweizhao

Activity: 110

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 05:11:03 AM

In short terms it should be fine with some centralized mining power in POW coin.
But if we look forward after 5 years, it could be a disaster for the whole community.

最新资讯 请follow微博:Harvey老狼 http://weibo.com/u/1290487752
lg15x (OP)

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 03:24:06 AM

And read this: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/279sex/ghashio_double_spending/

I am confused.
jc01480

Activity: 854

Nope..

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 03:30:35 AM

Does it matter?  If the Federal Reserve wants to get in on the game, they'll create their own crypto.  Backed by fiat, that has more appeal to the masses, creditors, governments, etc.  That is what we are facing.  We are in competition, people.
beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 03:38:49 AM

Does it matter?  If the Federal Reserve wants to get in on the game, they'll create their own crypto.  Backed by fiat, that has more appeal to the masses, creditors, governments, etc.  That is what we are facing.  We are in competition, people.

so where are you getting this information? part of the reason that bitcoin became so popular was because it is untethered to government.
twiifm

Activity: 784

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 03:44:36 AM

By definition it is "decentralized".

But it can be "monopolized" by a dominant group
Marlo Stanfield

Activity: 490
Merit: 280

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 03:57:17 AM

I'm pretty sure if someone asked Satoshi 4-5 years ago if it would be ok to have meetings of over half the hash power of the network he would say that he never intended such things and that it's a problem that should be solved.

Hell, he didn't even foresee mining pools from what I remember. His original intention was everyone using their CPU and having the client running to generate coins.
jc01480

Activity: 854

Nope..

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 04:05:57 AM

so where are you getting this information? part of the reason that bitcoin became so popular was because it is untethered to government.

Low level person.  He queried about it.  Seems his knowledge about it is developed so far along that the rig has been built just no politician pulling the tdis
Ron~Popeil

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 06:55:09 AM

I'm pretty sure if someone asked Satoshi 4-5 years ago if it would be ok to have meetings of over half the hash power of the network he would say that he never intended such things and that it's a problem that should be solved.

Hell, he didn't even foresee mining pools from what I remember. His original intention was everyone using their CPU and having the client running to generate coins.

I am not sure Satoshi ever thought his experiment would get so big in the first place.

If someone did manage to organize all of that hashing power into some sort of attack the block chain can always be forked and previous transactions would still be valid.

Marlo Stanfield

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 03:51:39 PM

I am not sure Satoshi ever thought his experiment would get so big in the first place.

If someone did manage to organize all of that hashing power into some sort of attack the block chain can always be forked and previous transactions would still be valid.

I don't know. I think he knew that there was a possibility for it to become this big. With how much care he took in hiding his identity and leaving bitcoin when he did. I think he thought there was a chance it would take off and he really didn't want to be the leader and the one responsible for bitcoin.
Ron~Popeil

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 04:11:03 PM

I don't know. I think he knew that there was a possibility for it to become this big. With how much care he took in hiding his identity and leaving bitcoin when he did. I think he thought there was a chance it would take off and he really didn't want to be the leader and the one responsible for bitcoin.

It is an interesting question. He is the one person in the history of the world I would choose to have a beer with if I had a genie to make it happen. It would be fascinating to know what he thought this would become and whether or not it is anything like his original vision.  

Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2014, 05:20:27 PM

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Operatr

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

www.DonateMedia.org

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2014, 05:33:03 PM

Bitcoin is anything but decentralized, as it runs on top of:

Centralized ISPs

Centralized energy

Now mining is becoming centralized more and more by big players

Most Bitcoin services and exchanges are private, centralized entities.

We have a long way to go to say the least. We must decentralize it all, though I think Bitcoin itself is the catalyst for this to actually happen.

lg15x (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 03:13:48 AM

I am very, very, very much shocked when I read this: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/279sex/ghashio_double_spending/

I really need to think about that, to sell my Bitcoin for Peercoin. I've bought some Peercoin when I found out the problems of PoW. PoS is innovation of Peercoin, and Peercoin really did a good job in last 2 years.

I still will hold some bitcoins, because I believe bitcoin can fix this by using PoS sometime in the future. And Peercoin community will help.
Marlo Stanfield

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 02:08:35 PM

Centralized ISPs

Centralized energy

We have a long way to go to say the least. We must decentralize it all, though I think Bitcoin itself is the catalyst for this to actually happen.

How are ISPs centralised? Or energy for that matter. Especially energy. Isn't there a mining operation that uses geothermal energy? That's anything but centralised.
Beyonce

Activity: 86

Surfbort.

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 02:12:08 PM

Centralized ISPs

Centralized energy

I don't think any of that makes it centralised at all.

Bow down, bitches.
Ron~Popeil

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 03:11:45 PM

I am very, very, very much shocked when I read this: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/279sex/ghashio_double_spending/

I really need to think about that, to sell my Bitcoin for Peercoin. I've bought some Peercoin when I found out the problems of PoW. PoS is innovation of Peercoin, and Peercoin really did a good job in last 2 years.

I still will hold some bitcoins, because I believe bitcoin can fix this by using PoS sometime in the future. And Peercoin community will help.
[/quote

I like peercoin. It is innovative and will probably have a future along side bit coin. There seems to be not a lot of support for it right now from outside a core group of holders though. If they would promote it and update it more often I would hold some.   

Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: