Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 01:37:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: [THEORY] Reverse exploiting Bitcoin  (Read 2417 times)
AGD (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2069
Merit: 1164

Keeper of the Private Key

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 07:55:56 AM
Last edit: September 22, 2018, 01:14:57 PM by AGD

I had this idea. Dunno if it is realistic, maybe its BS, but need to let it go Cheesy

When the Heartbleed bug was found, the Bitcoin core was quickly updated to version 0.9.0 (then shortly after updated to 0.9.1)

Since it was a "major security issue" I assume, that alot of people already updated their client and the new version is more ore less accepted by the majority of the network. Noone wants to get hacked ...

Now, what if some expert hacker invents an exploit that targets an issue, which is still not implemented in Bitcoin core, but - with a good reason - COULD be implemented in future versions, because of another big security issue, that will convince the majority of the community to update to the new version.

If this expert hacker has a possibility to convince the key persons behind the BitcoinFoundation Bitcoin Development to update the source code with the reasonable security update (like it was done with the Heartbleed bug), he would be the only person with an exploit to the new implementation.

This sounds like a quite realistic cenario to me. What do you think?

Bitcoin is not a bubble, it's the pin!
+++ GPG Public key FFBD756C24B54962E6A772EA1C680D74DB714D40 +++ http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1C680D74DB714D40

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4481

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 08:00:58 AM

I had this idea. Dunno if it is realistic, maybe its BS, but need to let it go Cheesy

When the Heartbleed bug was found, the Bitcoin core was quickly updated to version 0.9.0 (then shortly after updated to 0.9.1)

Since it was a "major security issue" I assume, that alot of people already updated their client and the new version is more ore less accepted by the majority of the network. Noone wants to get hacked ...

Now, what if some expert hacker invents an exploit that targets an issue, which is still not implemented in Bitcoin core, but - with a good reason - COULD be implemented in future versions, because of another big security issue, that will convince the majority of the community to update to the new version.

If this expert hacker has a possibility to convince the key persons behind the BitcoinFoundation to update the source code with the reasonable security update (like it was done with the Heartbleed bug), he would be the only person with an exploit to the new implementation.

This sounds like a quite realistic cenario to me. What do you think?

people dont simply dump compiled exe's into the bitcoin dev project area. they put in lins of code, which get reviewed by the other dev's before its then added into the main code area, and then tested to ensure it does not cause other things to fall apart or become exploitable.

so its not 'theoretically' possible to hide a trojan horse in the main bitcoin-core

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
shwackd

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 08:01:47 AM

To be perfectly honest:

If the sun was blocked out of the sky for JUST long enough to cause the surface temperature of hydrated driving surface to drop below the freezing point of deionized water we could possibly cause an an automobile accident that would delay an important bitcoin foundation meeting JUST long enough to postpone the next update until our super virus elite hacker skills technician can compromise the mainframe.
AGD (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 08:34:27 AM

people dont simply dump compiled exe's into the bitcoin dev project area. they put in lins of code, which get reviewed by the other dev's before its then added into the main code area, and then tested to ensure it does not cause other things to fall apart or become exploitable.

so its not 'theoretically' possible to hide a trojan horse in the main bitcoin-core

I agree, that new implementations are reviewed over and over by expert coders until they are released, but this is not the relevant part of it.
SSL had a flaw that was indeed exploitable until the core devs were convinced, that they had to change the code and release v 0.9.0.
Before that, the guys either didn't know about the Heartbleed bug or they thought it was not necessary to update.  This means, that a code - even after multiple reviews by good programmers - can contain bugs/flaws/exploitable parts, which either still has to be found or - in my example - was already found, but kept secret.

+++ GPG Public key FFBD756C24B54962E6A772EA1C680D74DB714D40 +++ http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1C680D74DB714D40
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 12:56:30 PM

Haven't you ever heard of this NSA crowdsourcing program?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underhanded_C_Contest

The Underhanded C Contest is a programming contest to turn out code that is malicious, but passes a rigorous inspection, and looks like an honest mistake. The contest rules define a task, and a malicious component. Entries must perform the task in a malicious manner as defined by the contest, and hide the malice. Contestants are allowed to use C-like compiled languages to make their programs.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 04:08:52 PM

The most critical part of bitcoin is arguably the implementation of ECDSA, which would probably be the most scrutinized and heavily reviewed code.  Thus, it would seem unlikely that a serious exploit could be introduced.

Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 07:25:36 PM

The Underhanded C Contest is a programming contest to turn out code that is malicious, but passes a rigorous inspection, and looks like an honest mistake. The contest rules define a task, and a malicious component. Entries must perform the task in a malicious manner as defined by the contest, and hide the malice. Contestants are allowed to use C-like compiled languages to make their programs.

That is pretty wild. I had never heard of this. I wonder how many people have been caught trying to pull something like this on open source projects? I also wonder how many people(if any) have gotten away with inserting such code(intentionally of course) in to any major open source projects.
freedombit

Activity: 274
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 04:08:43 AM

That is pretty wild. I had never heard of this. I wonder how many people have been caught trying to pull something like this on open source projects? I also wonder how many people(if any) have gotten away with inserting such code(intentionally of course) in to any major open source projects.

Is there a contest like this for Bitcoin or crypto? If not, then there should be. And then just hope that there are more white hats than black hats. If there are more black hats, then we are doomed as a race. ;-)
AGD (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 07:03:48 AM

Did this guy win the contest?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2602277/Heartbleed-accident-Developer-confesses-coding-error-admits-effect-clearly-severe.html

Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 07:34:39 AM

I used to work for a financial institution and we had custom static code analysis modules developed for our build systems for the purpose of detecting malicious code checked in by programmers. There are common techniques as well as counter-measures so this is not a new thing. Disallowing uninitialized variables would probably neutralize half of the attacks.
turvarya

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 07:39:35 AM

Maybe I am wrong, but wasn't the Version 0.9 the one with the Heartbleed-Bug(0.8.6 didn't have it) and 0.9.1 the fixed Version?

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4481

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 12:18:56 PM

Maybe I am wrong, but wasn't the Version 0.9 the one with the Heartbleed-Bug(0.8.6 didn't have it) and 0.9.1 the fixed Version?

version 0.1-0.9 were all vulnerable. the version 0.9 was not released due to heartbleed, it was a standard scheduled release. no one in the world knew about heartbleed at this point... but it just happened to be around the time that the separate matter of heartbleed became public, and as such the dev's released a 0.9.1 update pretty quickly

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
turvarya

Activity: 714

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 12:46:57 PM

version 0.1-0.9 were all vulnerable. the version 0.9 was not released due to heartbleed, it was a standard scheduled release. no one in the world knew about heartbleed at this point... but it just happened to be around the time that the separate matter of heartbleed became public, and as such the dev's released a 0.9.1 update pretty quickly
That can't be true:
The vulnerable code was adopted into widespread use with the release of OpenSSL version 1.0.1 on March 14, 2012
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heartbleed

2012-03-16 - Bitcoin-Qt version 0.5.3.1 released
• 2012-03-14 - Bitcoin-Qt version 0.5.3 released
• 2012-01-09 - Bitcoin-Qt version 0.5.2 released

https://bitcoin.org/en/version-history

So, which Bitcoin-Qt vesion was first affected, depends on which first used OpenSSL 1.0.1.

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
AGD (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 06:49:00 PM

I still have version 0.9.0 in my Download folder.

sickpig
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 07:30:53 PM

I still have version 0.9.0 in my Download folder.

on linux bitcoin-qt/bitcoind are dynamically linked to the openssl library bundle with your distro of choice, hence you could have been vulnerable to heartbleed even with 0.9.0 or higher if your libssl package wasn't up to date

Code:
$ ldd `which bitcoin{-qt,d}` | grep ssl 
libssl.so.1.0.0 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libssl.so.1.0.0 (0xb5c8b000)
libssl.so.1.0.0 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libssl.so.1.0.0 (0xb70b0000)

I don't think the same applies for ms win and/or osx

Bitcoin is a participatory system which ought to respect the right of self determinism of all of its users - Gregory Maxwell.
mymenace
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1061

Smile

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 07:41:19 PM

if it is about choosing a secure currency and your underlying fear is why trust the bitcoin code

its simple

banks, other currency, shares, investments are subject to hackers, scams and thieves etc etc etc

it is just a matter of choosing which one you believe to be the most foolproof

for me a network and code monitored by the whole community rather than a company or other is far more trustworthy e.g. linux

Grin
AGD (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 09:17:29 AM

I guess, most people here in this forum are pro Bitcoin

pozmu

Activity: 770
Merit: 504

(っ◔◡◔)っ🍪

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 06:56:31 PM

I'm 90% sure this will happen.

AGD (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 07:13:00 AM

I'm 90% sure this will happen.

Is it possible that it already happened? I mean, there were several events in the past, in which bitcoins simply "disappeared" from trading sites and owners seemed to be clueless on how it was done.

TheTruth4

Activity: 108
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 06:11:00 PM

Is it possible the bug was introduced into OpenSSL intentionally?
AGD (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 08:06:38 PM

You're kidding right
One person can't just go into the code and edit it as they place or dump malicious content
it is reviewed, cleaned, edited by other devs before it is completely published

From my posting #4
I agree, that new implementations are reviewed over and over by expert coders until they are released, but this is not the relevant part of it.
SSL had a flaw that was indeed exploitable until the core devs were convinced, that they had to change the code and release v 0.9.0.
Before that, the guys either didn't know about the Heartbleed bug or they thought it was not necessary to update.  This means, that a code - even after multiple reviews by good programmers - can contain bugs/flaws/exploitable parts, which either still has to be found or - in my example - was already found, but kept secret.

AGD (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 08:52:53 AM

My idea of a scenario - Swedish military version here: http://cryptome.org/2014/11/heartbleed-cyber-op.pdf

After I read this, I am pretty convinced now, that there are countless possibilities to implement an exploitable code - even into open source software.

AGD (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 01:54:16 PM

+1 because thanks to Gavn, we have a scenario, where exacty this reverse exploit could be implemented. Please core devs: Don't let it happen!

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/2014/02/04/challenge-vulnerable-code.aspx
http://www.underhanded-c.org/_p_26.html

AGD (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 07, 2018, 10:42:02 AM

+1
Not as weird as it sounded years ago.... Tongue

jdbtracker

Activity: 727

Minimum Effort/Maximum effect

View Profile
January 07, 2018, 10:50:41 AM

It is completely possible, I have worked in countless industries and I can tell you no one really cares enough to check... it's sad, but it's true.

A lot of the code has insane amounts of bugs and glitches, the best method practices have to be applied by a strict supervisor... an overworked supervisor trying to keep all the shit being submitted to them straight.
there are so many points of vulnerability that can be introduced by an exhausted team eager to perform, look at Intel, they knew about that processor flaw and they kept making them for 25 years... what does that tell you?

The best we can do is resolve the problems we can see now. patch every exploit we find as fast as possible.

If you think my efforts are worth something; I'll keep on keeping on.
I don't believe in IQ, only in Determination.
AGD (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 07, 2018, 11:52:38 AM

It is completely possible, I have worked in countless industries and I can tell you no one really cares enough to check... it's sad, but it's true.

A lot of the code has insane amounts of bugs and glitches, the best method practices have to be applied by a strict supervisor... an overworked supervisor trying to keep all the shit being submitted to them straight.
there are so many points of vulnerability that can be introduced by an exhausted team eager to perform, look at Intel, they knew about that processor flaw and they kept making them for 25 years... what does that tell you?

The best we can do is resolve the problems we can see now. patch every exploit we find as fast as possible.

I bet they have developed a lot more of these gimmicks meanwhile.

AGD (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 22, 2018, 01:10:26 PM

Just want to bring my old idea up, due to CVE-2018–17144 and a comment I read
https://medium.com/@awemany/600-microseconds-b70f87b0b2a6
I always feared that someone from the bankster circles, someone injected into the Bitcoin development circles with the sole goal of wreaking unsalvageable havoc, would do exactly what happened. Injecting a silent inflation bug. Because that is what would destroy one of the very core advantages that Bitcoin has over the current status quo.

Still pretty much possible to me to intentionally infiltrate obviously harmless code, that is in reality exploitable.

As a footnote I reapeat this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underhanded_C_Contest

Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: