Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:32:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why doesn't the LTC/BTC increase when BTC drops like SC/BTC does?  (Read 2155 times)
Mousepotato (OP)

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
February 14, 2012, 04:00:36 PM

This is frustrating.  I'm dumping all my available resources into mining and buying LTC and when BTC drops the LTC/BTC exchange rate stats exactly the same. On the other hand the SC/BTC rate seems to increase commensurate with the drop in BTC.  At this rate it feels like I'd be better off just accumulating SC as a hedge against BTC fluctuations.  I feel like I'm taking crazy pills! Sad

Mousepotato

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Matoking

Activity: 352
Merit: 250

Firstbits: 1m8xa

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2012, 08:06:23 PM

Coinhunter has manipulated the block subsidy in order to "increase" the value of Solidcoins.

In the beginning it was 32SC, then it was decreased to 5SC and at the moment it is 0.05SC.

BTC : 1CcpmVDLvR7DgA5deFGScoNhiEtiJnh6H4 - LTC : LYTnoXAHNsemMB2jhCSi1znQqnfupdRkSy
Bitcoin-otc
BitBin - earn bitcoins with your pastes!
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
February 14, 2012, 08:49:18 PM

I assume Litecoin is tied to Bitcoin entirely, so people are reluctant to value it based on fiat. SolidCoin, on the other hand, has a decent-sized SC/USD exchange, probably big enough to allow arbitrators the ability to move the price/BTC up.
rini17

Activity: 340

GO http://bitcointa.lk !!! My new nick: jurov

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2012, 09:14:28 PM

Yes, Litecoin has no own economy outside btc realm. For me this isn't surprising.

CoinBr.com: First online MPEx brokerage launched beta! Easy to use interface and reasonable fees. Charts for MPEx stocks: live.coinbr.com * My Blog *
Mousepotato (OP)

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
February 14, 2012, 09:27:59 PM

Can the attempted FUD slinging get any more lame or blatant by the Coinhunter sockies?

~BCX~

Huh

Mousepotato
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
February 14, 2012, 10:02:08 PM

Can the attempted FUD slinging get any more lame or blatant by the Coinhunter sockies?

~BCX~
I haven't seen any FUD slinging in here.
late443

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 15, 2012, 12:04:49 AM

Once LTC starts to develop (more than it already is) and more people look to exchanging it for USD Etc the prices will fluctuate accordingly.
Also the volume of LTC being sold is still pretty low.
please fell free to correct me I am a little confused myself.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
February 15, 2012, 01:17:26 PM

Ignore SC

About LTC, it's related to BTC, if BTC price drops why LTC/BTC should increase? Sure, LTC isn't BTC, but they are totally related, they have the same economy etc... so there can be differences between ltc and btc, but if btc price in dollars change, it of course means the same for ltc.

markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2012, 01:25:53 PM

I don't think this is happening only to LiTeCoin, but generally to most alt-chain coins, it least on Vircurex exchange.

I thought one might be able to shelter in altcoins from the recent drop in prices of bitcoin, then move back into bitcoin later. But the altcoin markets seem to be so stagnant that they are not adapting. The price of altcoins seems cheaper and cheaper as bitcoin drops, thanks to Vircurex seeming to only have coinpairs in which BTC is the first item of the pair, but if the prices are not adapting there seems no reason to expect to be able to move back to bitcoin later at a gain.

As was already indicated earlier, the coins do not seem to have found their market yet, none of them except devcoin seem to have any particular purpose, they are basically micropenny-stocks in pointless corps that have no real functions assets or markets. In a way this section of these forums is like a very abstract version of the Galactic Milieu, with a larger number of "nations" and/or "corps" issuing their own "national" or "corporate" currencies, but without the actual backdrop of planets owned, colonies mining resources, fleets of starships ready to transport resources or attack or defend holdings and so on.

Maybe it would actually be helpful to create a Freeciv nation per each altcoin and get it into the Freeciv distribution so that it can be a civilisation in the Galactic Milieu and maybe thus convince other entities in the milieu to make it part of their "reserves" with which they "back" their own currencies. Smiley

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
CoinHunter

Activity: 252

View Profile
February 15, 2012, 01:43:36 PM

Part of the reason SolidCoin price cannot drop that much is because the coin inflation right now is only about 40SC per day. When you have investors and pools actively buying up the rest of the SolidCoins that were "mined cheap" there is only one way the price can go.

http://solidcoin.info/economy.html

SolidCoin can no longer be dumped or mined by people with little energy investment. It costs more to produce 1 SolidCoin than it does a Bitcoin, by a factor of 2-4x, and due to the algorithm in place (which factors in electricity price increases and moores law), it should remain this way for quite some time.

To put it in perspective, it costs a bitcoin miner on a FPGA about $0.04 to make a single Bitcoin, and a GPU about $0.75 right now. On the other hand it costs a CPU or GPU anywhere from $1 to $20 to make a SolidCoin, regardless of the difficulty. As SolidCoin's price increases and mining becomes profitable again we will get more miners and the amount of inflation will increase to handle it. It's a type of automatic inflation/deflation control. You can read more on it here :-

http://solidcoin.info/myths.html#SolidCoin_can.27t_work_because_there_is_no_way_to_control_inflation

Try SolidCoin or talk with other SolidCoin supporters here SolidCoin Forums
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2012, 01:47:10 PM

Is there an exchange that, like Vircurex, features most altcoins, but which has Solidcoin as the backbone currency against which all others are paired?

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
CoinHunter

View Profile
February 15, 2012, 01:54:00 PM

Is there an exchange that, like Vircurex, features most altcoins, but which has Solidcoin as the backbone currency against which all others are paired?

-MarkM-

Not that I'm aware of , but people talk about such a thing time to time in the #solidcoin IRC channel. I'm not quite sure if the other altcoins have that much "Market" that they can be split up into so many exchanges without the volume being hard to trade under.

Even SolidCoin has some difficulties with 2 exchanges split pretty evenly. For some reason the mtgox owning 95+% of the market trade model seems to work best, and I think bitcoin would struggle somewhat if it didn't have that massively centralized exchange. That being said, having other exchanges around is quite useful as when one exchange closes people can quickly move to another.

CoinHunter

View Profile
February 15, 2012, 02:07:33 PM

-MarkM-

SLC24.com

That only has NMC, so wouldn't qualify for his "most altcoins". Would be interesting to see SLC24 offer the others though.

markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2012, 02:13:04 PM

Splitting the market is actually quite extreme in my Open Transactions server, because not only is each pair a market, and each pair able to appear both ways round without the two acting as one market, there is also the scale factor that separates each permutation into scales. The available scales have been limited to integer powers of ten but still this makes for a heck of a lot of completely distinct markets. I hope that this will simply lead to the deployment of smart bots that will in effect become the "missing" connections between the scales and the mirrored pairs.

-MarkM-

CoinHunter

View Profile
February 15, 2012, 02:17:40 PM

Splitting the market is actually quite extreme in my Open Transactions server, because not only is each pair a market, and each pair able to appear both ways round without the two acting as one market, there is also the scale factor that separates each permutation into scales. The available scales have been limited to integer powers of ten but still this makes for a heck of a lot of completely distinct markets. I hope that this will simply lead to the deployment of smart bots that will in effect become the "missing" connections between the scales and the mirrored pairs.

-MarkM-

Yeah that is interesting. I think the way you do it is the most "correct" way but when it comes to how people like to trade they certainly seem to like "one main source". All of the cryptocoins are minnows in the world market so who knows what will eventually end up as the dominant form of trading if any of them go big.

Mousepotato (OP)

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
February 15, 2012, 04:15:52 PM

~BCX~

Huh

Maybe I was a little harsh... I mean anyone that's a Seal Cub Clubbing Memeber can't be that bad !

No worries Smiley  I'm just frustrated, that's all.  I bought a few thousand at .0027XX and thought I got a good deal (I actually still do), but then the BTC took a downturn over the weekend and instead of LTCs increasing in value to compensate, they stayed in parity with BTC.  But SC seemed to have increased in value as a response to the drop.  Normally I wouldn't even care but now I have skin in the game, so to speak (or however that chicken & pig analogy goes anyway), I'm paying more attention to the fluctuations.  Maybe that's my problem to begin with.  I think I should just not look at the charts for a few weeks Smiley

Mousepotato
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2012, 11:23:09 PM

Like it or not Solidcoin has a few businesses that accept solidcoins.

That's called an economy.

BTC & SLC r the only cryptocurrencies with economies.

All the other alt coins are just experiments @ this point...

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
illpoet

Activity: 341

View Profile
February 16, 2012, 04:26:07 AM

i've bought a few things with litecoins. nothing serious just a shirt and some semi precious stones. but more and more ppl are accepting ltc for stuff.

Tym's Get Rich Slow scheme: plse send .00001 to
btc: 1DKRaNUnMQkeby6Dk1d8e6fRczSrTEhd8p ltc: LV4Udu7x9aLs28MoMCzsvVGKJbSmrHESnt
thank you.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: