Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 08:34:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Real Story | What is considered manipulation?  (Read 2995 times)
pirateat40 (OP)
Avast Ye!

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

"Yes I am a pirate, 200 years too late."

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2012, 11:44:39 PM

To be perfectly honest, it's funny to watch the Speculation board after I run transactions on Mt. Gox.  Everyone thinks they know what happened and come up with these crazy ideas as to who is manipulating the market.  I guess that's why it's here.

The truth is, it's nothing more than trading.  We all try to get the best price for our USD/BTC trades.  Why it's called manipulation when I trade thousands at a time vs hundreds I don't know.  Maybe it's the fact that the market really isn't that big and feels like it's being "controlled" by these large transactions.  Should I not trade anymore? If you played with the same volume I do, you'd see that building a "wall" to add support allows you to pick up or sell more coins at a better price.  It's really that simple.

So tell me, is it REALLY manipulation?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
imsaguy
General failure and former
VIP

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2012, 11:46:33 PM

Coming Soon!™ © imsaguy 2011-2013, All rights reserved.

EIEIO:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60117.0

Shades Minoco Collection Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65989
Payment Address: http://btc.to/5r6
vragnaroda

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 14, 2012, 11:47:57 PM

When you do it telling me (and only me) in advance, yes.
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
February 14, 2012, 11:50:53 PM

To be perfectly honest, it's funny to watch the Speculation board after I run transactions on Mt. Gox.  Everyone thinks they know what happened and come up with these crazy ideas as to who is manipulating the market.  I guess that's why it's here.

The truth is, it's nothing more than trading.  We all try to get the best price for our USD/BTC trades.  Why it's called manipulation when I trade thousands at a time vs hundreds I don't know.  Maybe it's the fact that the market really isn't that big and feels like it's being "controlled" by these large transactions.  Should I not trade anymore? If you played with the same volume I do, you'd see that building a "wall" to add support allows you to pick up or sell more coins at a better price.  It's really that simple.

It's called making a "profit".

It might be a new concept to the ones crying about a manipulator.

I guess it is easier to blame some mysterious "manipulator" when you lose in the market than to look inward and learn from your mistakes.
Edward50

Activity: 602

View Profile
February 15, 2012, 12:10:00 AM

When the price is falling and someone puts in 50K bitcoin bidwall to stop the price from falling that is manipulation to me.

If they wanted to buy bitcoins why the 50K bidwall right bellow the falling price, why not let it fall further and buy bitcoins cheaper?

Its all manipulation.

Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.
pirateat40 (OP)
Avast Ye!

Activity: 378

"Yes I am a pirate, 200 years too late."

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2012, 12:13:42 AM

When the price is falling and someone puts in 50K bitcoin bidwall to stop the price from falling that is manipulation to me.

If they wanted to buy bitcoins why the 50K bidwall right bellow the falling price, why not let it fall further and buy bitcoins cheaper?

Its all manipulation.

Price is falling and i need to sell coins... Why not?  Again, its called support.

stochastic

Activity: 532

View Profile
February 15, 2012, 12:21:42 AM

One strategy is where a trader buys some shares then put a limit buy order for a lot more shares a little above the market price.  Let the algo wars begin.

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
imsaguy
General failure and former
VIP

Activity: 574

Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2012, 12:38:40 AM

ppl are mad because they try to go against the market, join the market and enjoy the ride
Slip, slide, have a good ride?

Coming Soon!™ © imsaguy 2011-2013, All rights reserved.

EIEIO:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60117.0

Shades Minoco Collection Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65989
Payment Address: http://btc.to/5r6
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2012, 12:47:08 AM

ppl are mad because they try to go against the market, join the market and enjoy the ride
Slip, slide, have a good ride?

+1 go with the flow, i really feel like an early adopter with the price offer we have  Smiley

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
NamelessOne
Legendary

Activity: 840

View Profile
February 15, 2012, 04:51:54 AM

Its all manipulation.

Price is falling and i need to sell coins... Why not?  Again, its called support.

So are you fabled 'the manipulator' or one of the big players that so clearly exists? Throwing up 10k - 20k - 30k btc walls for one purpose or another like those in the past few days during the drops?
M4v3R

Activity: 607

View Profile
February 15, 2012, 10:10:54 AM

If I sell thousands of BTC high and buy them back low am I considered a manipulator too?
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
February 15, 2012, 10:50:21 AM

any trading action manipulates the price, by definition.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
February 15, 2012, 11:08:51 AM

Manipulator = someone who trades far more than me, for larger amounts, in large transactions, moving the price against my position and not warning me in advance.
WhatsHappening

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 15, 2012, 11:50:24 AM

Manipulator = someone who trades far more than me, for larger amounts, in large transactions, moving the price against my position and not warning me in advance.

I'd say, Manipulator = someone who owns as many assets as > 20% of total market value. He don't have to catch the knife. He's not the market consumer as we are. He creates the market. He is the market.

Of course as long as the bigger guy comes.
legitnick

Activity: 532

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2012, 11:55:24 AM

I don't know about you guys but I like to buy high and sell low  Grin Grin

5 BITCOIN RAFFLE GIVEAWAY
"I dont lift" - Lord Furrycoat
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 15, 2012, 12:09:41 PM

I don't know about you guys but I like to buy high and sell low  Grin Grin

I like to buy high and sell high, too bad I can only do it for 2 days after the Silk road package arrives Tongue

j/k Cheesy
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
February 15, 2012, 06:15:46 PM

I like to buy high and sell low

To a certain extent, it's doing exactly this that gets you the experience you need to be a successful trader. Just don't keep doing it.
Otoh
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1105

View Profile
February 15, 2012, 08:42:40 PM

Feb15:   Venus square Pluto - passionate, jealous, manipulative  Wink

BTC = $c²     My BTC addie = 1otohotohMoQoxHuxLBveQiZcV3Pji3Tc 
Bitstamp Exchange: Referal Code
CHARITY | MY REP | PREDICTION 1 | PREDICTION 2 | PREDICTION 3
Hunterbunter

Activity: 994

View Profile
February 15, 2012, 11:57:25 PM

Yeah I think manipulation is the wrong word to use here.

Market manipulation has more to do with what a person says on the boards or chat than it does with what they do with their coins.

Anyone who lies about their position, or encourages others to buy/sell deceitfully (e.g. It's the end of bitcoins!!! They're going to the moon!!) with the intention of misleading others into panic buying/selling for personal gain, is a manipulator.

Someone putting up a bidwall (either way) is, by action, an actor, and not a manipulator in the market. Even false walls can be bought out before they can be removed.

Someone sweeping the market left and right with massive buys or sells is no more a manipulator than anyone else with real money or coins on the market. They just have a hell of a lot more than others.

The truth is that when a person is speculating, they're only competing with other speculators for the same money/coin, so I don't know why anyone should think it was fair. This is what the free-ish market is all about...and probably why it's so regulated.
gewure

Activity: 364

[#][#][#]

View Profile
February 15, 2012, 11:59:34 PM

pirateat is the manipulator, i knew it.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: