Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 06:02:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fantastic Magic Wallet Creator 0.1 GRANDMA PROOF!! [OSX-standalone] PIXXXXX!!!!!  (Read 3508 times)
oOoOo (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 10:58:36 PM
Last edit: February 13, 2012, 09:39:50 PM by oOoOo

EDIT: Due to time constraints, the current version of the satoshi client is no longer supported!

Finally!

No more "Grandma, you just need to download this weird userspace runtime script and change the network settings to enable key import..." No more "Grandma, you just have to run weird, cryptic Python scripts to access bitcoin rpc calls...", no more "Grandma, you just need to compile your client with while applying xyz patch for 64bit mode!" No more "Grandma, you must download the correct version of python, no not that one, the OTHER one!" No more "Grandma, you must copy your libraries to the user folder to prevent your computer from crashing." No more "Grandma! This is the Console, you must type your commands here, NOOO not like that! You must enter: ./crypticcommandlinetoolinterface.py -a -b -c -d -e 12345 -]¢¶|[|¶¢[]¢¶] See, it's that easy..." - Those times are finally over because

I present:

The Fantastic Magic Wallet Creator v0.1

-

This simple tool creates a wallet.dat from a Bitcoin private key without the hassle to download and run weird and/or non-functioning command-line scripts with cryptic syntax. Just put your private key in the box on the left, click "Add key to wallet", and then save your wallet to your disk.
This tool supports all standard private keys and thereby allows you to import keys as they are found in

- Vanitygen
- bitbills
- casascius paper wallet
- bitcointools
- etc.

How to use?
Simply add your private key to the textbox (be careful, your key must by typed exactly, additional symbols or spaces will generate a wrong wallet entry), click "add to wallet" and then finally save to your bitcoin folder. It can be found under "~/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin"
Once you are finished, you must run Bitcoin with the "-rescan" option. The easiest way to do this is to start the terminal.app and copy/paste "/Applications/Bitcoin.app/Contents/MacOS/bitcoin -rescan". Unfortunately there is nothing I can do here, but this will be the only place where you will have to use the command line, at least until the client has improved enough to support this by default.
It will take a while to start, but your Bitcoin address and the associated funds should appear eventually.

-> IMPORTANT!! If you don't read anything else, at least read this!! <-
As of version 0.1 (current) the Magic Wallet Creator only adds a single address to the wallet. Although this will be improved in the future, right now you will have to spend ALL Bitcoins contained in the address at once, if you don't do this, the remainder WILL BE LOST!
The best way to approach this is to write down an address of your original wallet and then send all the coins from the imported address to your real wallet.

Backing up your data
I think this should be obvious, but seeing how recent recklessness has lead to the loss of many a bitcoin, I feel obliged to point this out: ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR WALLET!
Since this tool will necessarily overwrite the wallet you find in the library folder, you should temporarily move that wallet out, and then, once your transactions is complete and you have enough confirmations, you quit the client, move back your original wallet.dat, and your transaction should appear there soon.
Yes, this is a hassle, the ability to add keys directly to your wallet might be added in the future.

Security concerns
As with all 3rd party programs, you need to be extra careful when using tools that access your wallet. You are dealing with real money here and should act accordingly. Although the source is included in the tarball, I do not expect everyone on this forum to be able to read or compile it, and even if they could, there is no guarantee the binaries you are running have not been compromised, particularly when downloading from 3rd party sites.
The best way of action is to physically disconnect your mac while using this (or any non-client) tool. To do this simply click on the AirPort icon on top, and deactivate. After you're finished, you can just reactivate again. Or pull the plug if you are on LAN. That way a compromised app cannot access the network and broadcast potentially stolen keys.

Additional Features
Depending on the reactions here, I might or might not expand the capabilities of this little tool to include functionalities such as
-auto wallet backup
-transaction import/export
-passphrase encryption
-deterministic wallet
-wallet management
-linux version
-windows version
-label editing
-individual key import/export
-multiple wallet support
-general encryption
-and many more...

However, I am a hard working man working in a mind grinding 9-5 job, while I also have to support a family. Writing features takes a lot of time and I will need a lot of support!

Download
The file can be found here: http://www.realhatred.flimex.hu/mwc.tar.gz ≈1.398.031 Byte
The sauce is also in the included file. This is an xcode project with two dependencies, openssl and BerkeleyDB. You will have to install those libraries before you can compile this.

How you can help
Unfortunately I am very time constrained. Besides my day job, I also have a wife and two little kids (girl and boy Smiley ) so this means that future development will be highly dependent on your support. If you like this program, please consider donating: 1DuPPqzbQY6Rosj5nk7Vmo7CHoArhdBB6U Every Bit is very appreciated!
Besides this, you can also help by testing, if you have any problems, the best way to reach me is a pm on this forum.
Also, if somebody could provide a mirror for this^, I will be a very happy man!

Final words
First of all, I'd like to thank everyone here for showing interest, besides this, my

Special Thanks go to:
- casascius
- etotheipi
- Matt Giuca

Very Special Thanks go to:
My wife and family for all their patience!

Disclaimer
As usual, the Magic Wallet Creator comes with no warranties or guarantees. By using this, you agree that I, the author, cannot be made responsible in case of a financial, or any other kind of loss.

If you like this program please donate:

1DuPPqzbQY6Rosj5nk7Vmo7CHoArhdBB6U
Much appreciated!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
oOoOo (OP)

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 10:59:59 PM

[This post is intentionally left blank]
aq

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 11:40:11 PM

I have no OSX, so I cannot test (or even compile) it. I fully agree with you that such an import dialog for private keys is one of those long missing features.
Briefly looking at the source, I can see it doesn't take tons of code to implement this import dialog. Now imaging if the developers of the official client would have your attitude, we would have such a handy import dialog for ages!
BTW, have you considered writing a patch for the official client, or even better for bitcoin-qt, which hopefully will be the next official client?
ctoon6

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 11:52:50 PM

really, windows and osx and linux as is are really to complicated for most people.

we need a linux distro with a simple touch interface.

it would include a program called "money" or "bitcoin"

it would be simple, you boot the computer directly into a screen that has labeled icons for each program. "email" "browse the web" "pictures" "videos"

there would be no automatic prompt for any passwords or anything, it would only cause more problems, since it would be a desktop, theft of the device is unlikely. because of the extreme simplicity, you can lock the machine down to a point where the user will never even notice, creating a very secure machine.

including an online help button, where you push it, and sombody that is paid, can hear them, and see the screen too and control it. each program would have censored parts of the program that the remote desktop can be touched.

DownloadCoin.com

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2011, 12:03:56 AM

really, windows and osx and linux as is are really to complicated for most people.

it would be simple, you boot the computer directly into a screen that has labeled icons for each program. "email" "browse the web" "pictures" "videos"

there would be no automatic prompt for any passwords or anything, it would only cause more problems, since it would be a desktop, theft of the device is unlikely. because of the extreme simplicity, you can lock the machine down to a point where the user will never even notice, creating a very secure machine.

including an online help button, where you push it, and sombody that is paid, can hear them, and see the screen too and control it. each program would have censored parts of the program that the remote desktop can be touched.

It's called Chrome OS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ57xzo287U
forexmasterja

Activity: 130

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2011, 12:11:53 AM

This is great, we need a Windows version of this.

Keep up the good work.

--** First Jamaican Bitcoin User **--
1JamaicaYQvsBkvm5JcurQBA9Kz969nsqe
Revolutionary Money Making Cloud Miner - https://cex.io/r/0/forexmasterja/0/
geek-trader

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 12:18:30 AM

This is pretty cool.  I'm a old unix guy, so I'm actually more comfortable using the command line than a GUI, but I can see how many people would like this.

For me, I'd rather
$ python2.7 pywallet.py --importprivkey=xxxxxx

Grin

Make 1 deposit and earn BTC for life! http://bitcoinpyramid.com/r/345
Play my FREE HTML5 games at: http://magigames.org  BTC donations accepted.
NF6X

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2011, 12:22:08 AM

This looks neat, and I plan to take a look at it later this evening.

I have a feature suggestion: Add a way to scan the private key from a QR code using the webcam that's built in to many Macs. One could always plug in a USB 2D barcode scanner or read the code with another app and then paste it into the wallet creator through the clipboard, but those approaches aren't too Grandma-friendly.
ctoon6

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 12:41:20 AM

It's called Chrome OS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ57xzo287U
im thinking even easier
http://www.eldy.eu/
this is what it really takes.

oOoOo (OP)

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 01:07:28 AM

This is great, we need a Windows version of this.

Keep up the good work.
Thanks!

A windows version would be cool, but difficult to write with all those security concerns. Windows is far more vulnerable to malware than any other os.

This is pretty cool.  I'm a old unix guy, so I'm actually more comfortable using the command line than a GUI, but I can see how many people would like this.

For me, I'd rather

Grin

Adding command line capabilities, or rewriting this as an osx terminal app, would be trivial. Unfortunately I'm very time constrained. But if you'd like to do something like this, feel free to have a go! The sauce is right there for d/l.
Just give me a little credit!
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
December 03, 2011, 11:33:17 PM

Who is working on windows or smartphone version of this?

[edit] an xbox/kinect version would rock.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
December 05, 2011, 02:08:51 AM

It would be amazing if Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo each made bitcoin compatible hardware.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
idev

Activity: 859
Merit: 1004

BTC OG and designer of the BitcoinMarket.com logo

View Profile
February 13, 2012, 01:44:42 PM

This still available somewhere ?
oOoOo (OP)

View Profile
February 13, 2012, 09:38:33 PM

Unfortunately it doesn't work with the current version of the client. I have yet to find the time to continue the development. However, if I ever get sufficient time/funding/donations, I might release a new version!

For the time being, the current release candidate of the satoshi client which you can download in the dev forum does support private key import.

Pieter Wuille
Legendary

Activity: 1072
Merit: 1174

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2012, 09:49:02 PM

This is pretty cool.  I'm a old unix guy, so I'm actually more comfortable using the command line than a GUI, but I can see how many people would like this.

For me, I'd rather

Grin

What about
$ ./bitcoind importprivkey xxxxx
? (bitcoin v0.6)

I do Bitcoin stuff.
finway

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 14, 2012, 11:46:31 PM