Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:21:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How do we make Bitcoin work as a global micro-payment system?  (Read 2783 times)
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
March 19, 2012, 01:55:17 AM

I would add that even if my aunt had an easy way of getting come bitcoins (which she does - from me), and the exchange rate were stable (which it isn't), she would still have a hard time finding a place to spend those coins directly. Sure, there are several gift-card options, and a list of merchants accepting btc, but realistically it's all very limited.

The bitcoin network is here, and it works. I actually use it in real life on regular basis, for international money transfers - not because I simply want to, but because it works better than any other option. Other than that, there is not much going on (except for lots of wishful thinking) - no offense. What is needed now are several things going on in unison:

- we need developers to keep improving and diversifying clients, light clients, secure storage, and Web solutions
- we need people offering services and goods in exchange for btc
- we need to face the fact that 2012 is the year in which first taxation and legal decisions regarding Bitcoin will be made, following the 2011 breakthrough. BTC businesses and people with lots of vested interest should act prudently and cautiously now more than ever before: hiring good attorneys where needed, and consulting and coordinating with peers.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Boussac
Legendary

Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2012, 11:42:28 AM

I would add that even if my aunt had an easy way of getting come bitcoins (which she does - from me), and the exchange rate were stable (which it isn't), she would still have a hard time finding a place to spend those coins directly. Sure, there are several gift-card options, and a list of merchants accepting btc, but realistically it's all very limited.

The bitcoin network is here, and it works. I actually use it in real life on regular basis, for international money transfers - not because I simply want to, but because it works better than any other option. Other than that, there is not much going on (except for lots of wishful thinking) - no offense. What is needed now are several things going on in unison:

- we need developers to keep improving and diversifying clients, light clients, secure storage, and Web solutions
- we need people offering services and goods in exchange for btc
- we need to face the fact that 2012 is the year in which first taxation and legal decisions regarding Bitcoin will be made, following the 2011 breakthrough. BTC businesses and people with lots of vested interest should act prudently and cautiously now more than ever before: hiring good attorneys where needed, and consulting and coordinating with peers.

+1 You summed it up!
In 2011 we worked on getting funded (done), in 2012 we will deliver usability and legal/fiscal framework (or at least we will start filling the void) for merchants.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: