Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 11:46:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: US Government Bans Professor for Mining Bitcoin with A Supercomputer  (Read 3649 times)
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 07:42:46 AM

We now have proof that US Gov't computers are mining Bitcoin.
Let's make sure the Federal Reserve doesn't influence the Bitcoin Foundation to change the block rewards.  Shocked

Miners and the community as a whole would never allow it. That is why I believe bit coin has a long and bright future.

lihuajkl
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 07:56:14 AM

It is wasting resource. CPU mining is not efficient as ASIC miner, I am sure he is able to afford some mining rig.
Honeypot

Activity: 420

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 02:39:38 PM

No one is pointing out the obvious fact that he was fooling around with workplace equipment for his own personal benefit? That super computer wasn't his. No one would have cared if you were mining coins with your own rig, but this fool was misusing workplace equipment.

Another dumbass who gives crypto a bad name. Who needs ebil US government to shut it down when crypto population is doing such a fine job of ruining their own prospects?
Justin00
Legendary

Activity: 910

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 02:59:56 PM

exactly!
He was stealing power and resources from the school. I have no patiences for people like this.

I guess his job did not mean alot to him!

TopherB

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 03:00:41 PM

It is wasting resource.
and the government fired him because that is their job. Smiley
Justin00
Legendary

Activity: 910

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 03:02:42 PM

and now you american tax payers can pay him to sit around and do nothing Smiley

jjc326

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 03:04:58 PM

The researcher misused over $150,000 in NSF-supported computer usage at two universities to generate bitcoins valued between $8,000 and $10,000.

I'm skeptical both that they claim it used $150k in electricity and that it was able to mine that much bitcoin.  Most supercomputers are just a lot of standard CPUs.  Even if it had GPUs in there (like Nvidia Tesla which is used in some supercomputers) I would think the hashrate would still be significantly lower than a couple ASIC miners (and well below the quoted $8-$10k over 6 days.

Wow he did it for only 6 days and got caught?  You'd think being one of the brightest supposedly he would come up with a better plan wouldn't you?  to avoid being caught I mean.
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 03:22:09 PM

The researcher misused over $150,000 in NSF-supported computer usage at two universities to generate bitcoins valued between $8,000 and $10,000.

I'm skeptical both that they claim it used $150k in electricity and that it was able to mine that much bitcoin.  Most supercomputers are just a lot of standard CPUs.  Even if it had GPUs in there (like Nvidia Tesla which is used in some supercomputers) I would think the hashrate would still be significantly lower than a couple ASIC miners (and well below the quoted $8-$10k over 6 days.

Wow he did it for only 6 days and got caught?  You'd think being one of the brightest supposedly he would come up with a better plan wouldn't you?  to avoid being caught I mean.

One would think so. Maybe that is why he was working for the government instead of in the private sector.

JJB

Activity: 131
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 03:36:23 PM

One would think so. Maybe that is why he was working for the government instead of in the private sector.

I'm sure the geeks responsible for tech support noticed the bandwidth. They don't miss much those guys.
bitsmichel

Activity: 518

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 03:50:03 PM

I'm sure the geeks responsible for tech support noticed the bandwidth. They don't miss much those guys.

I think he didn't expect to be caught on the super computer, or, perhaps it was an experiment  Smiley

ebliever
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 04:04:25 PM

Do you mean CPU usage? Bandwidth use for mining is absolutely minimal in my experience. When I first started mining I was worried because I'm out in the boonies with only a Verizon hotspot for a connection and was limited to 4 GB/month. But it turns out that was no problem. Spending too much time in the Poloniex trollbox, however....

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
CoolBliss

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 08:00:51 PM

"The researcher misused over $150,000 in NSF-supported computer usage at two universities to generate bitcoins valued between $8,000 and $10,000."

Hah! That's it?! That's like 15 btc, or $10,000 per btc mined.
LostDutchman

Activity: 476

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2014, 05:09:56 AM

Because the government owns so many their self.  Wouldn't be surprised if they create it.  Either way bitcoin is run by greedy tyrants who do not value free speech.

Horseshit.

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
mkc

Activity: 517
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 05:51:27 AM

haha this make me laugh. I like it.
Harley997

Activity: 266

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 03:20:23 AM

This is a good thing.

This person essentially cheated and used someone else's equipment for his own benefit.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 04:26:38 AM

This is the first guy in the gov't to be publicly caught, but you can bet your ass that there are plenty more still flying under the radar...
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 08:31:23 AM

If he was smart he would have stolen from the government like other employees and used the proceeds to fund his ill gotten BTC.  Unfortunately this professor in stuck on Gilligan's Island.
ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 11:22:31 PM

This is the first guy in the gov't to be publicly caught, but you can bet your ass that there are plenty more still flying under the radar...

There was an article, I believe in 2012 that said some guy who was in charge of IT at a middle school was using like 50+ computers to CPU mine bitcoins. This was back when CPU mining was still viable.
row5_seat47 (OP)

Activity: 226
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 11:46:27 PM

There was an article, I believe in 2012 that said some guy who was in charge of IT at a middle school was using like 50+ computers to CPU mine bitcoins. This was back when CPU mining was still viable.

I tried to find the article you referenced.

Perhaps you meant the Australian Broadcasting Company?

http://www.crikey.com.au/2011/06/22/tips-and-rumours-481/

http://delimiter.com.au/2012/05/21/the-abc-didnt-sack-bitcoin-miner/

ljudotina
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1029

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 11:50:23 PM

Using supercomputer to mine Bitcoin and get ban? Really? How unfair from government. Why wouldnt he user computer tht tax payers payed for his personal gain....

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: