Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:59:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 【Truth or FUD???】DarkCoin – The Next Big Thing, or Just Another Pump and Dump?  (Read 15446 times)
benthach
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2014, 08:11:29 AM

I don't care about DRK one way or the other, but this thread is quickly leaving me with the impression gmaxwell is just another coin developer who feels his particular coin is the One True Coin, and so he slams all others.  
we have to talk to satoshi nakamoto about this.

reddit btcwriter1 - twitter kingpininvestor
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
eltito

Activity: 322
Merit: 105

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 08:11:36 AM

It's interesting that you lash out at others for making claims about closed source (for now) code, then turn around and do the exact same thing, just with a different slant.
I can't figure out what you're saying here. Is the idea that I can't say anything at all about something thats closed?

Thats not my position at all. My position is that that a closed source cryptographic currency is inherently centralized (via control of the source), and that experience suggests that most such systems are snake oil (they don't deliver the things they claim to) if not being outright trojans.  Indeed, you can't tell— maybe it's actually great, but great things usually don't need to hide in the shadows. The safe assumption is that they're not great at all.

Well now that's not what I said at all, is it? Smiley  You stated that indications were pointing more and more to the fact that Darksend is "substance-less vaporware", which I found odd in that the status of its code availability hasn't changed from the beginning.  Which indications, exactly?  Has it somehow become "more" closed source since the beginning?

You said yourself that alt-coin land is a hive of scum and villainy (or something like that).  What, exactly, do you think would have happened if Darksend had ben open source since day 1?  Also, why must everything good (in your estimation, it would seem) come through Bitcoin?

The safe assumption...sure, I'll buy that.  But there is such a thing as a totality of the circumstances.
benthach
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2014, 08:13:57 AM

I would also trust gmaxwell, because he has pointed out the clear scam. Please don/t try to hide anymore.
Things can be unfair or a bad deal, or simply a failed offering without being a scam.  I too might too easily lapse into the language of "scam" around here, — and there is no shortage of actual ill motivation in the altcoin space— but I do think more of it is really people getting in over their heads.  Cryptosystem work is very difficult, and Bitcoin seems to have resulted in people thinking that creating this stuff is no big deal since they can just copy the code... but in a cryptosystem the details matter, greatly... a single line changed can have subtle effects that ruin the security properties completely.

I don't care about DRK one way or the other, but this thread is quickly leaving me with the impression gmaxwell is just another coin developer who feels his particular coin is the One True Coin, and so he slams all others.  
Hm?  Thats pretty weird, considering that I've said nothing positive about Bitcoin here, and only positive things about cryptocoins (and proposed cryptocoins) that I have had basically nothing to do with. Smiley

is the anonymous transaction ever possible? and when do you think Bitcoin would have this implement or addon?

Taurenchief

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 08:17:15 AM

Looking at your previous post, I think you are lying by saying "you dont care about DRK one way or the other".
You are a DRK holder, arent you?

The whole crypto coin world should think seriously about the current situation of DRK, it has too much negative effects in the shadows, and now it is being revealed by the community.

Those who defend DRK here have a lot postings in DRK community, you know what that means.

To ozziecoin, make sure your points stand when you try to argue, otherwise people do not trust you.

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 08:18:41 AM

How could you justify this. There is 1.7 million coins premined, at an average price of 0.001 btc, that would be 1700 btc. If he sells half of it, it will be 850 btc.
You are just talking bare lies that 1700 btc or 850 btc is bare zero money.

1.7mn DRKs had a cost of 42.5 BTC in january.

You are applying retroactive logic (current valuation to the circumstances of the past) of the kind "oh those idiots who bought the 10.000 BTC pizza, now would be millionaires". Yeah, well, nobody knew. Same with DRK... 100k DRKs = 2.5 BTC. In some cases even 2 BTC.

Also, you are talking the PoW/PoS coins such as Cinni have very short PoW time as "instantmined", however, do you understand what is instantmined? Instantmine is defined as at the early stage of PoW stage of a coin, the mined coins accounts for a large amount of the total PoW stage. DO NOT LINK your instantmined DRK with us, ok?

All pow/pos coins are instamined since future miners cannot mine them at all. Contrast this to DRK where 2 were instamined and another 20 could be mined later. Which is fairer to late miners? The one where you have to buy it from the bagholders (no mining possible), or the one that you can actually mine it too? It's hypocritical to argue about fairness to late miners when you are supporting any pow/pos 100% instamined hybrid.

Now it is very clear, DRK is instantmined by a single person before others could use the qt and miner. Because the developer hold 40% of coins, he is trying to do whatever he want.

Most miners use linux.

During the first 15 hours, between

block 1  http://chainz.cryptoid.info/drk/block.dws?000007d91d1254d60e2dd1ae580383070a4ddffa4c64c2eeb4a2f9ecc0414343.htm and

block 4000 http://chainz.cryptoid.info/drk/block.dws?00000000fc0ee07e47609bae8d5fe5d774193c71d518c56dfe8faaf7d780a03f.htm  

approximately 1.75m darkcoins were generated.
The result? Darkcoin is currently at 80,000 blocks, but there’s only 4.3m DRK out there. Five months later, the 1.75m generated during those first 4200 blocks still represents 40% of all DRK in existence.

dotnetmin

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 08:23:02 AM

First they lough at you, then they fight against and finally you'll win!

Each time a new "anon" coin pops up there is new fud against DRK from "investors" of shitcoins
who missed the DRK train.

What they still don't know, they have only missed the first x10 .. x15 of DRK.
If they would do some research about dark instead of spending time and money in shit like XC
and Veri they could be part of the next step of DRK.

Fundamentals could be seen over weeks on a price around 0.00125 ... 0.00145.
DRK is one of the best distributet coins ever. You could read over weeks and again again DRK is only
a pump and dump and people were acting like a pump and dump and a lot of coins changed from hand to hand. as the past has shown it isn't pump and dump, it is DRK and DRK will change the still small crypto world!

People start thinking whats going on here.

BTC core dev is fighting against a shitcoin. Why is he spending time on shit DRK ?

Belive me, he knows why and you should also. He maybe has more DRK than we alltogether.

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 08:23:44 AM

Looking at your previous post, I think you are lying by saying "you dont care about DRK one way or the other".

The whole crypto coin world should think seriously about the current situation of DRK, it has too much negative effects in the shadows, and now it is being revealed by the community.

Those who defend DRK here have a lot postings in DRK community, you know what that means.

To ozziecoin, make sure your points stand when you try to argue, otherwise people do not trust you.

also a big dark holder for some profit?
and develop a shit coin named  Ozziecoin???

http://img03.taobaocdn.com/imgextra/i3/888367355/TB22vw3XFXXXXbvXpXXXXXXXXXX_!!888367355.png
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=578881.0
[ANN] [0.9.1] Ozziecoin - Australia's first widely distributed digital coin
benthach
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2014, 08:25:24 AM
Last edit: June 06, 2014, 01:30:29 PM by benthach

Each time a new "anon" coin pops up there is new fud against DRK from "investors" of shitcoins

If they would do some research about dark instead of spending time and money in shit like XC

DRK is one of the best distributet coins ever. You could read over weeks and again again DRK is only
a pump and dump and people were acting like a pump and dump and a lot of coins changed from hand to hand. as the past has shown it isn't pump and dump, it is DRK and DRK will change the still small crypto world!

BTC core dev is fighting against a shitcoin. Why is he spending time on shit DRK ?

Belive me, he knows why and you should also. He maybe has more DRK than we alltogether.

Evan Duffield is rich! 1,700,000 DRK at today price is around 30,000 BTC or $20,000,000.

Bitcycle

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 08:26:52 AM

I have what, 2 previous post in a DRK thread, both of which indicate I think the price is going to go down and continue to do so.

How you get from that to me being a DRK holder must require some interesting gymnastics.

I don't think DRK is a scam, but I do think it's been overhyped.  I also think the dev is likely in over his head, knows it, and that's why he won't open the source yet.

In the end, I don't much care if DRK lives or dies. If it fails, some later iteration won't.

I like to see diversity in altcoins. I think it's a good thing to have a lot of chaos on the fringes. Some of that will bubble up to be good ideas.  It doesn't matter if 99% of them are copycoins or poorly implemented. New ideas are good for the ecosystem.  Even hype of previous ideas is a good thing, it promotes the concepts to wider audiences.

Gmaxwell has made it very plain he does not like altcoins. He's stated it directly.  I disagree with him on this point, and in fact I think it's quite dangerous to centralize on one coin with one set of developers.

Taurenchief

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 08:30:03 AM

How could you justify this. There is 1.7 million coins premined, at an average price of 0.001 btc, that would be 1700 btc. If he sells half of it, it will be 850 btc.

You are applying retroactive logic (current valuation to the circumstances of the past) of the kind "oh those idiots who bought the 10.000 BTC pizza, now would be millionaires". Yeah, well, nobody knew. Same with DRK... 100k DRKs = 2.5 BTC. In some cases even 2 BTC.

Also, you are talking the PoW/PoS coins such as Cinni have very short PoW time as "instantmined", however, do you understand what is instantmined? Instantmine is defined as at the early stage of PoW stage of a coin, the mined coins accounts for a large amount of the total PoW stage. DO NOT LINK your instantmined DRK with us, ok?

All pow/pos coins are instamined since future miners cannot mine them at all. Contrast this to DRK where 2 were instamined and another 20 could be mined later. Which is fairer to late miners? The one where you have to buy it from the bagholders (no mining possible), or the one that you can actually mine it too? It's hypocritical to argue about fairness to late miners when you are supporting any pow/pos 100% instamined hybrid.

Now it is very clear, DRK is instantmined by a single person before others could use the qt and miner. Because the developer hold 40% of coins, he is trying to do whatever he want.

Most miners use linux.

1.Now I can see you are trying to argue without standing point. Did you see 1.75 million DRK sold in January?
Only a idiot will believe he sold all in january.
Suppose even if he sold all in january, is 42 btc bare no money? In January BTC worth more than 700 usd.

2. Instantmine is that one or few person mine a ton of coin in the beginning of release, mostly because of low difficulty. Do you see in BC, Cinni or other POS coins case, one or few person mine a 40% of PoW coins?
In PoS coins, the developer make a ANN that everyone can mine from beginning, do you call this instantmine?

3. I cannot agree with you that most miners use linux, because according to what I know, majority of miners use windows.
Look at the discussion of cgminer, sgminer, etc, you will see most forum members are discussing how to use windows based miners.

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 08:30:27 AM

I have what, 2 previous post in a DRK thread, both of which indicate I think the price is going to go down and continue to do so.

How you get from that to me being a DRK holder must require some interesting gymnastics.

I don't think DRK is a scam, but I do think it's been overhyped.  I also think the dev is likely in over his head, knows it, and that's why he won't open the source yet.

In the end, I don't much care if DRK lives or dies. If it fails, some later iteration won't.

I like to see diversity in altcoins. I think it's a good thing to have a lot of chaos on the fringes. Some of that will bubble up to be good ideas.  It doesn't matter if 99% of them are copycoins or poorly implemented. New ideas are good for the ecosystem.  Even hype of previous ideas is a good thing, it promotes the concepts to wider audiences.

Gmaxwell has made it very plain he does not like altcoins. He's stated it directly.  I disagree with him on this point, and in fact I think it's quite dangerous to centralize on one coin with one set of developers.

that's make sense. Wink

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 08:33:01 AM

Most miners use linux.

1.Now I can see you are trying to argue without standing point. Did you see 1.75 million DRK sold in January?
Suppose even if he sold all in january, is 42 btc bare no money? In January BTC worth more than 700 usd.

2. Instantmine is that one or few person mine a ton of coin in the beginning of release, mostly because of low difficulty. Do you see in BC, Cinni or other POS coins case, one or few person mine a 40% of PoW coins?
In PoS coins, the developer make a ANN that everyone can mine from beginning, do you call this instantmine?

3. I cannot agree with you that most miners use linux, because according to what I know, majority of miners use windows.
Look at the discussion of cgminer, sgminer, etc, you will see most forum members are discussing how to use windows based miners.

i use windows, and i do believe dark dev team may also buy more cheap dark coin when dark coin hit a market, because they know they will pump it later.??

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 08:34:52 AM

Evan Duffield is rich! 1,700,000 DRK at today price is around 30,000 BTC or $20,000,000.
I heard XC and VRC(VeriCoin) is the next big THANG.

are you kidding???
benthach
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2014, 08:35:46 AM
Last edit: June 06, 2014, 01:32:06 PM by benthach

are you kidding???

Get on the boat guys!

stealth923
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 08:39:36 AM

but rather your attitude because the altcoin space is the boiler room for tech improvements that the bitcoin team are unwilling or unable to develop.
There is very little technology development in the altcoin space... but there sure is a lot of deceptive hype from people eager to separate people from their money, no surprise when many of the people creating altcoins hardly know how to work a compiler. Most of the time when there are non-strings changes at all, it's just another worthless ill-considered proof of work variant that hasn't seen a drop of peer review (and which is compromised, e.g. failing to meet its "cpu only" promises, the moment someone does review it). In the rare event that there is interesting technological development that I'm aware of— I credit it— which is why I brought up the bytecoin&forks in the context of privacy technology, even though I think creating an altcoin for it is not a good idea and I'm not involved with its development.

When Darkcoin is completed, it will be vetted by a respected Developer and if no issues are found open sourced.
You created coinjoin. Darkcoin is created from coinjoin. Would you be interested in vetting the code?
I review many interesting looking things as I have time available, but only if they are open source. I am uninterested in handling anyone's private code, however.

It's getting a little late. This system was created month and months ago, but there is still nothing for me to look at... and now aggressive promoters are spilling into other threads and degrading other efforts that are already delivering or are at least out in the open.  I hope you can understand how this creates a very negative impression from my position.

gmaxwell, I think it would be great if you could spare some of your time to review Darkcoin's code once Evan has completed it.

I have no doubt that you would be able to provide valuable constructive feedback to Evan. Collaboration I see is the key to evolution and advancing ourselves in the crypto technology space - I am sure with both of your minds together something great could happen!

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 08:40:06 AM

I heard XC and VRC(VeriCoin) is the next big THANG.

are you kidding???

Get on the boat guys!

will dark be pumped higher???
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2014, 08:40:48 AM

Well now that's not what I said at all, is it? Smiley
I couldn't figure out what you were saying, thats why I asked. Smiley
You stated that indications were pointing more and more to the fact that Darksend is "substance-less vaporware", which I found odd in that the status of its code availability hasn't changed from the beginning.  Which indications, exactly?  Has it somehow become "more" closed source since the beginning?
Because not being open on (or even before, at least in the form of a clear technical whitepaper) day one is bad, but it only gets worse the longer it goes on.

You said yourself that alt-coin land is a hive of scum and villainy (or something like that).  What, exactly, do you think would have happened if Darksend had ben open source since day 1?
If it were open source and usable then presumably it would have been adopted. Even as an altcoin, if it were something good I'd speak positively of it... even if the system itself weren't open a clear description of the techniques it was using (like zerocash has) in a whitepaper would allow peer review and analysis of the techniques without the crappy competitive landscape of the altcoin ecosystem coming to play. Keep in mind though, 99% of the design of these things in 99% of the cases is straight up copied from Bitcoin. Before anyone is too territorial about their own precious inventions, they should keep in mind that they're just variations of a tune created by giants whos shoulders they're standing on— something only possible because those people released their code and their designs instead of keeping them secret.

Also, why must everything good (in your estimation, it would seem) come through Bitcoin?
Must wouldn't be the right word— should would be more correct.  In systems of money Metcalf's law applies much more strongly than in other things because the value of a money is derived exclusively from its liquidity and from people being willing to accept it. If our hope is that trustless cryptocurrencies are broadly successful, we undermine that effort if we disrupt their network effect over and over again by starting a brand new currency for this feature or that. It's like having to build a separate internet per program, madness. There is no technical justification for it... and it endangers the success of the entire field, at least to some extent.  Some starry eyed folks think this is a revolution which cannot fail, I am more cynical than that. Doubly so when the frequent outright scams and failures discourage people from investing in infrastructure in the space.

If there are actual good things developed outside of Bitcoin, I'm happy to see them.

As an aside— the "so and so has XYZ foocoin" assumptions might be pretty spurious, its completely reasonable for people to sell off large amounts of coins they have while they're nearly valueless— if you have a lot and who knows what the future holds. I know this is true for most people who were involved in Bitcoin early on, it may well be true for other things. Or not.

Bitcoin does not have only one set of developers. There are several complete re-implementations, some with active development bases— something you can't say about (AFAIK) any of the altcoins. Moreover, the permissive licensing of Bitcoin means that you aren't, and shouldn't be, dependent on any particular developers... you can freely fork the code at any point for any reason, and many people have. For similar reasons, people working on Bitcoin generally don't make incompatible changes in the software (with a protocol gateway, Bitcoin is compatible with the very first release, and without a gateway, 0.2.10 from 2010 will still happily synchronize with the network, though old versions are not very reliable anymore).

If you're depending on developers to take an active role in the real operation of you decentralized cryptocurrency then it's not really all that decentralized, it's still controlled by the politics of men instead of math. Having a choice of one master out of many is not really freedom.

I'm not sure whether you are just completely ignorant right now or intentionally overlooking major projects such as NXT which are clearly full of innovation.
Another coin heavy with closedness, its hard to analyze and so you won't see much if any serious review. The initial snippits of code they published had a clear and obvious nothing-at-stake vulnerability, and so far I've not seen any explanation as to how its actually viable at all. Perhaps none of the people who actually understand it speak english, but the people who've recently posted about it in the tech subforum didn't give a positive impression at all to others who are clueful about distributed consensus systems.... but this is totally offtopic here.

is the anonymous transaction ever possible? and when do you think Bitcoin would have this implement or addon?
Anonymity isn't a binary state, there are degrees. Really strong anonymity is very hard to achieve, and needs more than just some features— it's a lifestyle, even a state of mind. I think perfect anonymity is generally beyond human capability except in very limited circumstances.  _Better_ anonymity, or— perhaps more correctly stated as "better privacy"— is possible... and things like the darkwallet and the other tools that implement coinjoin in Bitcoin let people get better privacy today.  Even stronger privacy is possible, but it comes with tradeoffs, which is why it might not be desirable to implement the stronger systems in Bitcoin even though we know how to create them.

Because some darkcoin pumpers showed up in an entirely unrelated thread and started crapping on other people's efforts in order to promote DarkCoin. I certantly wasn't interested in seeking out this discussion, but since it came to me I don't have any problem in responding to it. Smiley
AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 08:44:13 AM

Let's say I know at least 7 people who bought batches of ~50k coins each totaling 350.000 coins from early miners and exchanges (early feb). And these are those I know of.

Who is "he"? There wasn't one guy mining. Go to the DRK thread and see the WTS 10.000 DRK messages by individuals.

If you have a coin with, say, 16 mn coins, and by day 7 you have distributed them all, you are instamining something like 2mn coins per day. The difference being, that after the 7 days no new coin will ever be mined - so late arrivals will have to buy from the bagholders.

All the large farms and at least half the miners (as individuals) run on linux. The aggregate hashpower is enormously in favor of linux. Remember that DRK did not launch as a GPU coin, but as a CPU coin. X11 didn't have a GPU miner until mid february.

Also remember that Windows QT wallet launches of CPU coins are criticized heavily due to being botnet raped.

If the dev launches with Windows QT one would say "ohhh that's a botnet coin, fu"... if he didn't "ohhh that's only for linux miners". Damn if you do, damned if you don't. If someone wants to find something bad to say, they will say it.
illodin

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 08:46:24 AM

Only an idiot will believe he was only one who mined. Oh, that's you.  Roll Eyes

One or few persons did not mine 40% of DRK. There was an ANN, and there were HUGE number of people ready to mine the second it was released.

Windows wallet was available 4 hours after the launch. And, a HUGE number of MINERS run Linux on their Windows computers via vmware or virtualbox anyway. So yea, cryptohunter and you were probably the only ones dumb enough not to.
benthach
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2014, 08:47:28 AM
Last edit: June 06, 2014, 01:31:26 PM by benthach

are you kidding???

Get on the boat guys!

will dark be pumped higher???

Isn't Darkcoin already high?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: