Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 02:02:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 [112] 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 ... 318 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] AEON: Scalable, private, mobile-friendly cryptocurrency  (Read 625085 times)
myagui
Legendary

Activity: 1154
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 13, 2015, 04:00:35 PM

Probably yes. But mining the coin is also important in order to decentralize the hash rate and improve security. The current situation with low concentrated hash rate is a negative that probably weights on the value and makes the future uncertain.

So if you are investing or otherwise supporting the coin please consider mining to a lower-hash rate pool (not minergate) and/or solo mining.
^ Emphasis mine.

This is right on point Smooth. I just peeked at the Minergate stats for their AEON pool, and it shows about 6400 workers right now... I dare speculate this is some botnet's new home (Minergate, that is). Adding that they run a closed source pool, could/should we remove it from the OP's pool list?

I'm back running a light-node since the latest release, but not mining right now. I'll be back solo-mining as soon as I can dedicate the CPU time again, and I encourage everyone else to do the same. Any reasonable/recent CPU will earn you a block every two or three days, while a high end one should get almost a daily hit.  Smiley

"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BoscoMurray

Activity: 450
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 13, 2015, 08:45:44 PM

Anyone else have an issue with the new AMD miner in that it does start hashing, confirmed by hashrate on the pool, but after a while seems to stop finding/submitting shares?

The miner appear to be hashing, but the pool hashrate drops to zero. Is there some way to turn on logging?

Cheers
Bosco
skidog
Legendary

Activity: 1393

View Profile
October 14, 2015, 05:22:13 PM
Last edit: October 14, 2015, 05:37:09 PM by skidog

Well started mining. I dont have much just an extra cpu. An older xeon i7. I will let it run for a while. What kind of speed should i get with xeon x3 1231 v3 ? Looks like im getting 160 H/s with 4 cores running. temps around 55c to 58c on all cores. Pulling about 80 watts. from the wall. Runs at 55 watts without mining so power is pretty low.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
October 14, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Well started mining. I dont have much just an extra cpu. An older xeon i7. I will let it run for a while. What kind of speed should i get with xeon x3 1231 v3 ? Looks like im getting 160 H/s with 4 cores running. temps around 55c to 58c on all cores. Pulling about 80 watts. from the wall. Runs at 55 watts without mining so power is pretty low.

That hash rate seems low to me. I don't know why though. You should be able to run 8 threads on that CPU, but even with 4 threads I would expect quite a bit more than 160.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
October 14, 2015, 06:06:28 PM

Probably yes. But mining the coin is also important in order to decentralize the hash rate and improve security. The current situation with low concentrated hash rate is a negative that probably weights on the value and makes the future uncertain.

So if you are investing or otherwise supporting the coin please consider mining to a lower-hash rate pool (not minergate) and/or solo mining.
^ Emphasis mine.

This is right on point Smooth. I just peeked at the Minergate stats for their AEON pool, and it shows about 6400 workers right now... I dare speculate this is some botnet's new home (Minergate, that is). Adding that they run a closed source pool, could/should we remove it from the OP's pool list?

Yes I think it is reasonable to remove it from the list as long as has such a high hash rate share. Good suggestion.

myagui
Legendary

Activity: 1154

View Profile
October 14, 2015, 06:40:20 PM

@skidog,

That is really low hashrate, is that for the Xeon i7, or the Xeon x3 1231 v3? This latter one has AES-NI, so it should run much faster. Perhaps that older Xeon i7 does not have AES-NI? That's really the key factor that most influences hashrate, other than cache, which sets the optimal number of threads.

skidog
Legendary

View Profile
October 14, 2015, 11:35:56 PM

@skidog,

That is really low hashrate, is that for the Xeon i7, or the Xeon x3 1231 v3? This latter one has AES-NI, so it should run much faster. Perhaps that older Xeon i7 does not have AES-NI? That's really the key factor that most influences hashrate, other than cache, which sets the optimal number of threads.
XEON X3 1231 V3 I am mining using minergate. Maybe that is the problem. I can change. Using windows 7 pro 64bit. Any suggestions on a miner?
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 01:38:08 AM

@skidog,

I'm not sure what a Xeon X3 is but if that is a typo for E3 then this is the model:

http://ark.intel.com/products/80910/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E3-1231-v3-8M-Cache-3_40-GHz

which does have AES-NI and a pretty high clock rate.
Nik4691

Activity: 352

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 01:58:10 AM

@skidog,

XEON X3 1231 V3 I am mining using minergate. Maybe that is the problem. I can change. Using windows 7 pro 64bit. Any suggestions on a miner?
You use their application for mining, right? Do you set the number of cores more than the default 1 or 2?
funnyman21

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 03:58:33 AM

Development update

The pruning testing has gone well with no major problems reported. I will wait for testing to continue for several more days while looking into the idea of explicitly blocking older wallets from trying to restore from a pruned node.

The next major item is to be the GUI integration, which I spent some time on a while back, but put on hold to finish up pruning. I'm resuming that now.

In addition I have an additional anonymity improvement to release, which will probably come with the official pruning version. Already my opinion is that obscure little AEON has the soundest implementation of anonymity of all cryptocurrencies, with the new improvement it will be even better.

I'm also taking steps to address the mining decentralization, which I will be announcing soon.

As always feedback, suggestions, offers of assistance, donations (especially via donation mining which also helps decentralize the network), criticism, and encouragement are welcome.

Pruning and GUI will both be nice but I am most curious about your anonymity comments.

Are you willing to elaborate about how the implementation you have in mind will be the soundest of current alternatives?

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 04:39:21 AM

Are you willing to elaborate about how the implementation you have in mind will be the soundest of current alternatives?

It already is, if people used the coin a bit more.

The biggest outstanding anonymity issue with cryptonote are the chain reaction effects described in MRL-0001, especially with mix 0. But people do seem to want to use mix 0 because it solves some problems they have with dust and also because the transactions are smaller, so cheaper when per-KB fees are implemented. BBR has a fix for that but it requires that people voluntarily tag their outputs. It isn't clear what the incentive is to do that, and there are some other issues with it, nor does it address the issue of people wanting to use low mixes because they are cheaper. XMR proposes to fix it with a minimum mix factor, but that won't happen until it is hard forked sometime next year.

In AEON the solution that is already implemented is to limit transactions with a mixin (fake outputs) of less than 2 to a maximum of one per block. Since we have four minute blocks that is only 360 per day (though not every block will necessarily have one so the actual number will be lower). As long as there are a few other transactions per block (with higher mix factors), the chain reaction can't occur and everyone's anonymity is protected. You can see for yourself in a chain explorer that when mix 1 or mix 2 transactions occur, they are always in the very first position (after coinbase). Any other transactions in a block will be higher mix.

Because of how this works, it also means that mix 0 or mix 1 transactions can still be used by people who really want a small cheaper transaction, but they will have to complete with their fee for that one slot in each block. That still should end up being somewhat cheaper, without jeopardizing the anonymity of the chain overall.

At the moment this doesn't quite work since the amount of usage is still too low. But at least we have the solution in place that if usage were to pick up the problem would fix itself.

I have some incremental anonymity improvements in my development version that will go out with normal releases (not including the security releases where I don't introduce anything new) but addressing the chain reactions is the biggest one and that is already implemented right now.

XMRpromotions

Activity: 336

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 05:12:09 AM

It already is, if people used the coin a bit more.

The biggest outstanding anonymity issue with cryptonote are the chain reaction effects described in MRL-0001, especially with mix 0. But people do seem to want to use mix 0 because it solves some problems they have with dust and also because the transactions are smaller, so cheaper when per-KB fees are implemented. BBR has a fix for that but it requires that people voluntarily tag their outputs. It isn't clear what the incentive is to do that, and there are some other issues with it, nor does it address the issue of people wanting to use low mixes because they are cheaper. XMR proposes to fix it with a minimum mix factor, but that won't happen until it is hard forked sometime next year.

In AEON the solution that is already implemented is to limit transactions with a mixin (fake outputs) of less than 2 to a maximum of one per block. Since we have four minute blocks that is only 360 per day (though not every block will necessarily have one so the actual number will be lower). As long as there are a few other transactions per block (with higher mix factors), the chain reaction can't occur and everyone's anonymity is protected. You can see for yourself in a chain explorer that when mix 1 or mix 2 transactions occur, they are always in the very first position (after coinbase). Any other transactions in a block will be higher mix.

Because of how this works, it also means that mix 0 or mix 1 transactions can still be used by people who really want a small cheaper transaction, but they will have to complete with their fee for that one slot in each block. That still should end up being somewhat cheaper, without jeopardizing the anonymity of the chain overall.

At the moment this doesn't quite work since the amount of usage is still too low. But at least we have the solution in place that if usage were to pick up the problem would fix itself.

I have some incremental anonymity improvements in my development version that will go out with normal releases (not including the security releases where I don't introduce anything new) but addressing the chain reactions is the biggest one and that is already implemented right now.

Creative solution!

The people that want to use a mixin of 0 (to avoid dust and have the lowest fees) may end up waiting for multiple blocks if volume picks up substantially.  I suspect this would be a welcome problem to have as it means more people are using AEON and it would encourage mixin use to avoid delays.

Have there been any efforts on getting a Poloniex listing? I just retweeted a request to add AEON and BBR on Cryptsy but can't recall much mentioned about Poloniex yet. Poloniex has by far the most CryptoNote coins so it seems like a logical exchange to focus on.

Don't buy Monero: https://twitter.com/MoneroPromotion/status/746006420508729344

XMR: 43hPTYyKarCTWyh4ZnMVn8AtFeEmtzTXo3Y6TGGMV26BWonJ4tpR7eP9RkUDYQbvg6LbrnMXWfghddE NGtvKxr7B5oML4qd
skidog
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 09:54:23 AM

@skidog,

You use their application for mining, right? Do you set the number of cores more than the default 1 or 2?
My bad e3 is correct. A while back I switched out the cpu but kept the old operating system. Maybe that is causing the problem. I had a dual core Pentium cpu. It seems to lock up my computer when I try to switch to wolfs miner. I'm not sure why. Maybe I need to reinstall my operating system to take advantage of AES-NI. I can reinstall with linux. Any suggestion on which linux would work best with the wallet. I usually run MInt.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 10:00:13 AM

@skidog,

My bad e3 is correct. A while back I switched out the cpu but kept the old operating system. Maybe that is causing the problem. I had a dual core Pentium cpu. It seems to lock up my computer when I try to switch to wolfs miner. I'm not sure why. Maybe I need to reinstall my operating system to take advantage of AES-NI. I can reinstall with linux. Any suggestion on which linux would work best with the wallet. I usually run MInt.

Mint should be fine, so use whatever you are comfortable with. I mostly use Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 10:02:55 AM

Have there been any efforts on getting a Poloniex listing? I just retweeted a request to add AEON and BBR on Cryptsy but can't recall much mentioned about Poloniex yet. Poloniex has by far the most CryptoNote coins so it seems like a logical exchange to focus on.

We have a better chance when either: The database merge happens and turns into a release, or AEON volume and value increases a lot. The memory footprint is a lot less than XMR, but both are still much larger than other wallets, and when you consider the number of wallets Poloniex has to run, you can understand why they wouldn't want to devote a huge amount of server RAM to one small coin.

I'm pretty confident it will happen, but we'll have to wait a while longer. Meanwhile, don't forget OTC is another option in addition to Bittrex. I'm aware of some pretty significant OTC trades that have happened recently.
Arux

Activity: 500
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 10:26:56 PM

I built the win64 version of the AMD gpu miner.
done, i built mine with mingw-w64 linux but i needed to add ws2_32 lib else it fails
test on win7 x64, latest 15.7.1 catalyst

On start there are some errors :

Code:
".\groestl256.cl", line xxx : warning: integer conversion resulted in a change
          of sign
        C64e(0x2a86ef4343692aef), C64e(0xf193a6c4c435f1a6),
        ^

Where xxx could be up to 303 and down to at least 225 (I can get the full output if needed).
idem

Also, this :
Code:
"C:\Users\Richard\AppData\Local\Temp\OCL5F33.tmp.cl", line 228: warning: argument of
          type "uchar *" is incompatible with parameter of type "uint *"
        AESExpandKey256(ExpandedKey1);
not seen but not sure, i perhaps miss it

And finally the results with the following config are 410H/s for a 7950 :

Code:
{
"Algorithms":
[
{
"name": "AEON",
"devices":
[
{
"index": 0,
"corefreq": 925,
"memfreq": 1250,
"fanspeed": 65,
"powertune": 20,
"threads": 1,
"rawintensity": 1024,
"worksize": 16
}
],
}
]
}
Same conf, 475H/s

It seems going above 1024 makes the system unstable. Also I don't know what is the worksize param.
Anyone willing to share results ?

EDIT: It also crashes after some time with those parameters. The AMD driver crashes and miner stops.
on the first attempt, one minute of accepted then no crash but all rejected and ban...
second attempt, shares accepted but a few minutes later, shares found aren't sent to the pool. no new job received (job id didn't change) no crash but no communication between miner and pool. like BoscoMurray complain

Anyone else have an issue with the new AMD miner in that it does start hashing, confirmed by hashrate on the pool, but after a while seems to stop finding/submitting shares?

The miner appear to be hashing, but the pool hashrate drops to zero. Is there some way to turn on logging?

Cheers
Bosco

proof of concept is ok but not usable for now

GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2015, 11:02:24 PM

Wolf said that he'll be back to work on the 20th on the xmr miner, so i'm sure whatever improvements he makes will port right over.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 12:25:14 AM

I am now running a Monero node using the 0.9 beta version which is using almost no resources.  Can I run an Aeon node at the same time?  My comp is not very powerful but it does not have much problem running Aeon.  My internet connection is 30 Mbs down and 5 Mbs up and is hardwired if it makes a difference.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 02:08:27 AM

I am now running a Monero node using the 0.9 beta version which is using almost no resources.  Can I run an Aeon node at the same time?  My comp is not very powerful but it does not have much problem running Aeon.  My internet connection is 30 Mbs down and 5 Mbs up and is hardwired if it makes a difference.

If you can run AEON by itself then yes you can very likely run AEON along with Monero 0.9.
BoscoMurray

Activity: 450

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 09:39:47 AM

For reference, running the AMD GPU on Linux Mint 17.2, 7950 gives me 700H/s with the following config:

Code:
				{
"index": 0,
"corefreq": 1000,
"memfreq": 1250,
"fanspeed": 65,
"powertune": 20,
"threads": 1,
"rawintensity": 2048,
"worksize": 32
}

It crashes eventually in all circumstances, but as stated it's a work in progress.
Pages: « 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 [112] 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 ... 318 »
  Print  

Jump to: