Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 11:57:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 [122] 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 ... 318 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] AEON: Scalable, private, mobile-friendly cryptocurrency  (Read 625085 times)
muchoman

Activity: 465
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 04:47:19 AM

Link is not working.

That's what I get for typing them manually. Fixed.

Thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
muchoman

Activity: 465
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 01:25:12 PM

Miner seems to be working well, only problem is high cpu usage.
dnaleor
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1000

Want privacy? Use Monero!

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 03:30:50 PM

Passing along a messsage from moneromoo:

Due to hardware issues, the pool just went down and it might be quite a while before I can get it back online, so people should move elsewhere.
The BCT account stuff was on that other stuff. I have backups, but not easy to get to atm.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 03:44:33 PM

Passing along a messsage from moneromoo:

Due to hardware issues, the pool just went down and it might be quite a while before I can get it back online, so people should move elsewhere.
The BCT account stuff was on that other stuff. I have backups, but not easy to get to atm.

Thank you for passing along. I have updated the OP
Arux

Activity: 500
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 04:27:33 PM

@moneromoo: good luck to reboot.

if someone want to setup a pool (to solo gpu mine for example), i have updated xdn-project's pool to be compatible with aeon here: https://github.com/Arux-BTT/cryptonote-universal-pool.git

don't forget to use the aeon branch:
Code:
git clone https://github.com/Arux-BTT/cryptonote-universal-pool.git your_pool_folder
cd your_pool_folder
git checkout -b aeon
git pull origin aeon
then instructions from exciter0 are correct https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=641696.msg12293931#msg12293931
don't hesitate to ask for support.

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 06:17:14 PM

git checkout -b aeon

If you remove the -b there, you won't create a new branch and don't need to pull into it. Less confusing. So just

Code:
git clone https://github.com/Arux-BTT/cryptonote-universal-pool.git your_pool_folder
cd your_pool_folder
git checkout aeon

However, if you want to make local changes the original method is fine, or even better create your own new branch with a different name forked from the aeon branch:

Code:
cd your_pool_folder
git checkout aeon
git checkout -b my_new_branch
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
November 10, 2015, 01:41:16 AM

We received a nice 1000 donation in addition to regular mining blocks and small donations of 5-10. All are appreciated!

balance: 457887.934933436883, unlocked balance: 456887.934933436883
dNote

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2015, 03:46:04 AM

i am sorry for not following the development of aeon,

Is it light? Do you have mobile wallet?

Just curious.

DigitalNote XDN website http://digitalnote.org
XDN 1st blockchain deposits with interest & instant untraceable crypto messages GUI https://github.com/xdn-project/digitalnotewallet/releases
Bitcointalk topic https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1082745.new#new
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
November 10, 2015, 04:39:03 AM

i am sorry for not following the development of aeon,

Is it light? Do you have mobile wallet?

Just curious.

Not sure what you mean by "light". We have a pruning branch which drops most blockchain data but still functions as a full node, and a design for an SPV-like wallet.

Mobile wallets are planned but not under immediate development. Third parties may take that on once the libraries for SPV-like wallet functions are released, or if the project grows we might do it ourselves. Hard to say at this point.

americanpegasus

Activity: 770

View Profile
November 10, 2015, 05:06:34 AM

Not sure what you mean by "light". We have a pruning branch which drops most blockchain data but still functions as a full node, and a design for an SPV-like wallet.

Mobile wallets are planned but not under immediate development. Third parties may take that on once the libraries for SPV-like wallet functions are released, or if the project grows we might do it ourselves. Hard to say at this point.

Will there ever be an ELI5 version of how a cryptographic ring based blockchain can implement pruning?  The whole concept fucks me up.  If any input can at any time become an output at any point in the future when needed, how can you safely prune *any* of it?  Of course I am still learning about how it all works under the hood, so perhaps it's my understanding that is to blame.

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
November 10, 2015, 05:41:00 PM

Will there ever be an ELI5 version of how a cryptographic ring based blockchain can implement pruning?  The whole concept fucks me up.  If any input can at any time become an output at any point in the future when needed, how can you safely prune *any* of it?  Of course I am still learning about how it all works under the hood, so perhaps it's my understanding that is to blame.

There is a FAQ up in the thread that explains how it works, advantages, disadvantages, etc. Summary is that only the outputs and spent key image set are retained. The rest of the transaction (which is the vast majority of its size) is dropped
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
November 10, 2015, 06:52:08 PM

@smooth & americanpegasus:

Pruning FAQ

Q: What is pruning?

A: Pruning refers to removing unnecessary information from the blockchain once it is no longer needed.

Q: What are the advantages?

A: Pruning reduces the amount of storage needed for the blockchain. If the blockchain is loaded into RAM (which is the case in the current implementation), then it also reduces RAM usage. Finally, it also reduces the rate that these resources are consumed over time as the blockchain grows. In the current implementation, each time one new block is accepted, one old block is pruned, on average freeing up a large portion of the resources needed for the new block.

Q: How does pruning affect functionality?

A: The only inherent functional limitation of AEON's pruning is the inability to restore (also known as rescan) a wallet which was used for spending transactions. All other functionality including sending and receiving coins, mining, updating a wallet after any period of inactivity, cold storage, mining, etc. remain fully supported. There is a current limitation that after extended period of disconnection (>28 days) a node may have trouble resynchronizing with the network, and would need to be reset. This is not inherent and should be addressed later.

Q: Does pruning reduce the effectiveness of ring signatures for transaction privacy?

A: No, ring signatures and privacy are unaffected.

Q: How is pruning enabled and disabled?

A: Using the --pruning option on the daemon command line. With this option the daemon will prune the blockchain and will also switch from using the blockchain.bin file for storage to blockchain-pruned.bin. To switch an existing node into pruned mode, copy blockchain.bin to blockchain-pruned.bin before starting the daemon with --pruning. To switch pruning off, remove the --pruning option. Do not, however, copy blockchain-pruned.bin to blockchain.bin. This will not work. You will need to have an unpruned blockchain.bin file or resync unpruned from the network.

Q: How does AEON's pruning compare with Boolberry's pruning?

A: AEON prunes slightly more information from the blockchain, so the required storage is slightly smaller (given equivalent usage), though the difference is likely not particularly significant. BBR prunes the blockchain on the entire network while AEON prunes on each node individually (and only if pruning is enabled). This means that new nodes can come online faster with BBR, but those new nodes are unable to independently verify the entire blockchain. It is possible to download an unpruned BBR blockchain from a web site to independently verify it, but in that case the amount of data downloaded would be the same as AEON. It also means that every BBR node is able to serve the chain to new users but in AEON this function falls to nodes that are unpruned, also known as "archive nodes" (or alternately via a trusted bootstrap file).

Q: How does AEON's pruning compare with Bitcoin's pruning?

A: In Bitcoin 0.11, the same model of pruning is implemented as in AEON. That is, nodes prune blocks locally, after syncing from an unpruned chain and verifying the chain independently. Like AEON, Bitcoin pruned nodes can't rescan or reindex wallets. Bitcoin 0.11 does not support wallets on pruned nodes at all, so it currently has more limitations that AEON. Old Bitcoin blocks must be retrieved from unpruned archive nodes, as with AEON.

Q: What other coins implement pruning?

A: Other than Boolberry, Bitcoin, and possibly some coins which have inherited their implementation by being Bitcoin forks, no other coins implement pruning at this time.

Q: What's this about "archive nodes"? How can I run one?

A: When nodes connect to the network, they retrieve blocks from other nodes. If only blocks within the most recent 10 000 (approx.  28 days) are needed for syncing, even pruned nodes can provide them. However, in the case of nodes which are brand new (syncing from the genesis block) or which have been offline for >28 days, pruned nodes will be unable to supply the older blocks. Instead this task falls to unpruned nodes, also known as archive nodes. For the time being the project-run seed nodes will always run in unpruned mode, and others with sufficient RAM and storage space who wish to support the network are also encouraged to do so. To run an archive node, simply start the daemon in the normal manner, without the --pruning option.

Q: What are the numbers? How much does pruning reduce the amount of memory and storage needed?

A: The exact numbers will vary according to OS, compiler, etc. and also depend on the usage of the blockchain in the future. One early report from BoscoMurray stated, "RAM usage down from 4.8GB to 2.4GB and blockchain file size down from 3.2GB to 1.7GB"

Q: That doesn't seem like a big reduction. Why is the benefit not greater?

A: To explain why the reduction is not larger and understand what this means for the future, let's first review some basics of how a blockchain works.

Every time a coin is spent, a digital signature accompanies the transaction in order to show that the owner of that coin authorized spending it. Once this signature is checked, it is no longer needed. This is the largest portion of what is being pruned. In the cryptonote signature scheme (used by AEON), ring signatures used for anonymity, which means while a signature shows the coin owner authorized the transaction, unlike conventional signatures, it does not identify the specific coins being spent, and therefore does not allow tracing and analyzing the blockchain. As a side effect of this functionality, these signatures are much larger than ordinary digital signatures (a fact sometimes described as "cryptonote bloat"). Thus in AEON, pruning offers great benefit and eliminates the "cryptonote bloat".

So why is the savings not larger? Because in the early history of AEON, there was a very large number of very large transactions and many of those transactions did not using ring signatures. This happened for several reasons, including a major flaw in the early versions of cryptonote mining pool software. Thus, while the chain is relatively large, a relatively small amount of storage is saved by pruning the early transactions.

The newer transactions are a different story. The pool software flaw was fixed long ago, and most transactions now do use ring signatures. So the savings from pruning going forward should be much higher (perhaps 75-80%). Of course, since ring signatures are now being routinely used, it means that that actual anonymity of the coin in practice is greatly improved, and with pruning there is no long term storage cost (i.e. no "cryptonote bloat") for most nodes (other than archive nodes). We get the best of both worlds!

Q: What about a database or disk-based block storage? Doesn't that also reduce memory usage?

A: Storing the blockchain out-of-memory in a database or in cache files reduces memory usage but does not reduce storage usage nor reduce the rate of growth of storage usage over time. In AEON, the plan is to later support out-of-memory storage of the blockchain along with pruning, so memory usage will be further reduced, and storage usage will remain low and grow very slowly over time.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 03:11:32 AM

Pruning FAQ

A: The only inherent functional limitation of AEON's pruning is the inability to restore (also known as rescan) a wallet which was used for spending transactions. All other functionality including sending and receiving coins, mining, updating a wallet after any period of inactivity, cold storage, mining, etc. remain fully supported.

I think this part may no longer be correct. I implemented a work-around for the issue, meaning that even old wallets should sync correctly even against a pruned node. Has anyone tested this and can report either way?

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 05:25:30 PM

Pruning FAQ

A: The only inherent functional limitation of AEON's pruning is the inability to restore (also known as rescan) a wallet which was used for spending transactions. All other functionality including sending and receiving coins, mining, updating a wallet after any period of inactivity, cold storage, mining, etc. remain fully supported.

I think this part may no longer be correct. I implemented a work-around for the issue, meaning that even old wallets should sync correctly even against a pruned node. Has anyone tested this and can report either way?

Arux tested this and confirmed that the limitation is still there. I had implemented a partial workaround (for cold storage or inactive wallets) but it does not apply if the wallet was actively used for spending.

myagui
Legendary

Activity: 1154
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 12, 2015, 07:16:18 PM

Okay let's consider this an official proposal then, open for comments:

Once the base reward declines below 0.3/minute, then reward will switch to inflationary at a target rate of 0.8888888....%/year (actual rate may deviate slightly in practice due to variations in block rate, block reward penalty, rounding, etc.)

I suppose this is a bit of a late vote, but still wanted to express an opinion on this one for the record.
Looks like Moo had a very special find there, I'm all-in for the 8/9 inflation rate!  Smiley

americanpegasus

Activity: 770

View Profile
November 12, 2015, 09:02:04 PM

I suppose this is a bit of a late vote, but still wanted to express an opinion on this one for the record.
Looks like Moo had a very special find there, I'm all-in for the 8/9 inflation rate!  Smiley

There is a pretty intense discussion about Aeon logos happening over on the Speculation topic right now if anyone is interested in offering their opinion on it.

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
myagui
Legendary

Activity: 1154
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 13, 2015, 08:00:36 AM

There is a pretty intense discussion about Aeon logos happening over on the Speculation topic right now if anyone is interested in offering their opinion on it.

I've been traveling, but on and off I am keeping tabs on that thread as well, some really nice logos in the works. I'm also not sure that we really need a new logo, but some of the new design elements presented do get me excited, so there's that. Will definitely post some feedback there once I'm settled home again, and I also encourage everyone to follow/participate on that discussion!

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
November 14, 2015, 10:02:26 PM

TPTB_need_war has donated the domain ion.cash to the AEON project. While that domain is not identical to our name, it is similar and the domain could be used for some sort of affiliated or independent project that supports AEON, or just redirected.

However, the issue we have had is that transferring the domain to his registrar to ours has not been working for some reason. I'd like to not spend any more time on this so I'm looking for a volunteer to manage the process of getting the domain transferred. PM me if you are willing to do this.

BaxterJames

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 05:11:53 PM

TPTB_need_war has donated the domain ion.cash to the AEON project. While that domain is not identical to our name, it is similar and the domain could be used for some sort of affiliated or independent project that supports AEON, or just redirected.

However, the issue we have had is that transferring the domain to his registrar to ours has not been working for some reason. I'd like to not spend any more time on this so I'm looking for a volunteer to manage the process of getting the domain transferred. PM me if you are willing to do this.

Does this mean TPTB will be working on Aeon now?
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 05:23:46 PM

Does this mean TPTB will be working on Aeon now?

No
Pages: « 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 [122] 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 ... 318 »
  Print  

Jump to: