Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:56:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 [133] 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 ... 318 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] AEON: Scalable, private, mobile-friendly cryptocurrency  (Read 625082 times)
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
February 19, 2016, 11:35:27 AM
Last edit: February 20, 2016, 12:28:17 PM by smooth

Info about glibc vulnerability

You may have heard about the recent glibc bug. If not here is one article about it http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/02/extremely-severe-bug-leaves-dizzying-number-of-apps-and-devices-vulnerable/

While we do not believe that aeond is directly affected, it is possible that a call to the vulnerable getaddrinfo function could occur indirectly via some library. For example, Arux found a call in the miniupnpc library that is used by anond.

Therefore, if you are running an anond node, we recommend you make sure your glibc is updated to the latest version (would need to have been released in the last few days), and then restart your node after rebooting. If you built a static Linux binary (most people would not have done this) then you will need to rebuild it.

While we don't think that Windows is affected (because it uses Windows libraries rather than glibc), Arux is creating a new Windows build of 0.9.6.0, which was missing in any case. Once that is ready all Windows users should update.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
languagehasmeaning

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 04:46:41 PM

Info about glibc vulnerability

You may have heard about the recent glibc bug. If not here is one article about it http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/02/extremely-severe-bug-leaves-dizzying-number-of-apps-and-devices-vulnerable/

While we do not believe that aeond is directly affected, it is possible that a call to the vulnerable getaddrinfo function could occur indirectly via some library. For example, Arux found a call in the miniupnpc library that is used by anond.

Therefore, if you are running an anond node, we recommend you make sure your glibc is updated to the latest version (would need to have been released in the last few days), and then restart your node after rebooting. If you built a static Linux binary (most people would not have done this) then you will need to rebuild it.

While we don't think that Windows is affected (because it uses Windows libraries rather than glibc), Arux is creating a new Windows build of 0.9.6.0, which was missing in any case. Once that is ready all Windows users should update.

That is a reassuring response. It is nice to have a  developer who remains on top of things even in cases where a threat may not exist.
sammy007
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 10:07:00 PM

Waiting on LMDB makes sense if AEON wants to remain focused on retaining a small footprint suitable for lower end and mobile devices.

Can the AEON GUI come before LMDB or would that involve more work in the long run (having to modify the GUI for LMDB later)?

Waste of time. I'd better prefer to have LMDB in it's current state because low-end hardware without SSD is loosing marketshare every day and shouldn't be a major issue. That will spot AEON and likely poloniex can bring it back to their awesome exchange. AEON need more volume, more advertisement, more users, without LMDB even in it's current state these 3 pillars will never be built.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 10:21:57 PM
Last edit: February 23, 2016, 12:02:33 AM by smooth

Waiting on LMDB makes sense if AEON wants to remain focused on retaining a small footprint suitable for lower end and mobile devices.

Can the AEON GUI come before LMDB or would that involve more work in the long run (having to modify the GUI for LMDB later)?

Waste of time. I'd better prefer to have LMDB in it's current state because low-end hardware without SSD is loosing marketshare every day and shouldn't be a major issue. That will spot AEON and likely poloniex can bring it back to their awesome exchange. AEON need more volume, more advertisement, more users, without LMDB even in it's current state these 3 pillars will never be built.

We're not waiting for some massive rewrite. There are some important tweaks that are already done but not merged. It won't be long.

One thing to keep in mind is that although the changes in AEON were somewhat small in a sense, their effect is not. Combining the lighter PoW and the block time, our sync speed (using the RAM blockchain) is about 16 times faster than Monero on mainstream hardware like an i5 (with AES, 2+ cores and 2MB+ cache). So we have to be a bit more careful to ensure that the DB does not become a major bottleneck.

Also, we still have the pruning branch which reduces RAM requirements quite a bit.

LucyLovesCrypto

Activity: 414
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 23, 2016, 04:27:49 PM

We're not waiting for some massive rewrite. There are some important tweaks that are already done but not merged. It won't be long.

One thing to keep in mind is that although the changes in AEON were somewhat small in a sense, their effect is not. Combining the lighter PoW and the block time, our sync speed (using the RAM blockchain) is about 16 times faster than Monero on mainstream hardware like an i5 (with AES, 2+ cores and 2MB+ cache). So we have to be a bit more careful to ensure that the DB does not become a major bottleneck.

Also, we still have the pruning branch which reduces RAM requirements quite a bit.

Wow 16x is more than I thought although I could tell syncing Aeon was a lot faster (RAM version).  Do you imagine the pruning branch will eventually become more popular than the non pruning branch or will the high sync speed of Aeon make pruning less advantageous for Aeon (on most devices) in the short run?
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
February 23, 2016, 07:49:02 PM

Wow 16x is more than I thought although I could tell syncing Aeon was a lot faster (RAM version).  Do you imagine the pruning branch will eventually become more popular than the non pruning branch or will the high sync speed of Aeon make pruning less advantageous for Aeon (on most devices) in the short run?

Pruning will always be popular on small devices such as low-power always-on nodes (for example RPi), mobile, and VPS slices with limited storage. Whether it becomes popular on say desktops will depend on the level of network usage. Currently the usage is not all that high, so the difference in storage requirements is also limited.

BTW, the 16x ratio will drop to 8x when Monero switches to 2 minute blocks next month. That's still a lot though.
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 07:02:54 PM

Big thanks to amoebatron and freenode!

After discussions, Freenode has kindly granted ownership of IRC channel #aeon to the Aeon project. Smiley

In a situation that mirrored the recent Reddit transfer, the #aeon channel was technically already registered to another party, but in effect had been dormant for over 10 years.

Big thanks to Freenode (particularly tinyhippo) who facilitated the transfer.

Please now point your IRC clients toward #aeon and gradually remove #aeoncoin from your collective conciousness.

(For the record, we never actually controlled #aeoncoin either, so it's great that we now have an official IRC base.)

http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=%23aeon

https://www.reddit.com/r/Aeon/comments/47d3hb/big_thanks_to_freenode_aeon_is_now_aeons/

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
boolberry

Activity: 378

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 11:57:28 PM

After discussions, Freenode has kindly granted ownership of IRC channel #aeon to the Aeon project. Smiley

In a situation that mirrored the recent Reddit transfer, the #aeon channel was technically already registered to another party, but in effect had been dormant for over 10 years.

Please now point your IRC clients toward #aeon and gradually remove #aeoncoin from your collective conciousness.

(For the record, we never actually controlled #aeoncoin either, so it's great that we now have an official IRC base.)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Aeon/comments/47d3hb/big_thanks_to_freenode_aeon_is_now_aeons/

First Reddit, now IRC. It has been a good week for Aeon.

What will be the subject of the next announcement? My guess is LMDB, GUI or website.
h0g0f0g0

Activity: 295

View Profile
February 26, 2016, 06:33:35 PM

What will be the subject of the next announcement? My guess is LMDB, GUI or website.

lmdb would be cool, it will help to get coin on more exchanges. No real work on GUI is being done I think and website... Not sure.
Hashrate is going down - it will be profitable to mine again soon Wink))

boolberry

Activity: 378

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 12:13:48 AM

lmdb would be cool, it will help to get coin on more exchanges. No real work on GUI is being done I think and website... Not sure.

I think Smooth said that both GUI and LMDB were in active development
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 12:21:21 AM

I think Smooth said that both GUI and LMDB were in active development

Active, but slow. It is no secret that my available time is limited and the highest priority goes to urgent security updates and such. Nevertheless, both will happen in due time.
XMRpromotions

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 02:40:15 AM

Regardless of profitability more people should help mine (and not from the same pool) Aeon if they believe in the project. Mining is essential to secure the network.

Don't buy Monero: https://twitter.com/MoneroPromotion/status/746006420508729344

XMR: 43hPTYyKarCTWyh4ZnMVn8AtFeEmtzTXo3Y6TGGMV26BWonJ4tpR7eP9RkUDYQbvg6LbrnMXWfghddE NGtvKxr7B5oML4qd
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 03:05:16 AM

Regardless of profitability more people should help mine (and not from the same pool) Aeon if they believe in the project. Mining is essential to secure the network.

Yes, but I'm also pretty sure it has become more profitable recently. The price is doing okay and the difficulty/hash rate is way down.
robelneo
Legendary

Activity: 3220
Merit: 1202

Play Bitcoin PVP Prediction Game

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2016, 01:56:31 PM

Hello I am quite late here but I am mining it now through minergate i want to withdraw my earnings but I can find where I can download the desktop wallet can any one send me the link to download I am using windows x32

..BITWINUP..
▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄██████░░██░░████████▄
██████░░░░░░░░░▀████████
█████████░░████▄░░████████
▐█████████░░████▀░░████████▌
▐█████████░░░░░░░░░░▀██████▌
▐█████████░░███████░░██████▌
███████▀▀░░▀▀▀▀▀▀░░▄██████
██████▄▄░░▄▄░░▄▄▄███████
▀██████▄▄██▄▄████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀████████▀▀
UP OR DOWN?
.BITCOIN. PVP PREDECTION GAME

VS
▄███████████████████████▄
██                     ██
██  █████████████████  ██
██  ▀▀  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▀▀  ██
█▀  ▄███████████████▄  ▀█
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▀███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██  ▄▄▄▄▄ ███ ███ ▄▄▄▄▄  ██
██  █████▄ ▀███▀ ▄█████  ██
██  ███████▄▄▄▄▄███████  ██
██  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ██
███████████████████████████
MONTHLY
JACKPOT
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████▀▀██████████████▄
▄███▀░░▄▄░░▀▀███████████▄
▄███░░▄█████▄░████████████▄
████░░▀██████▀▀░░░░░▀██████
█████▄░░▀▀▀░░▄▄████▄░░█████
▀███████▄▄▄██░▀█████░░████▀
▀███████████▄░░▀▀▀░░▄███▀
▀█████████████▄▄▄█████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
.Play to earn Crypto.
The Cryptophilanthropist

Activity: 231
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 07:12:12 PM

Hello I am quite late here but I am mining it now through minergate i want to withdraw my earnings but I can find where I can download the desktop wallet can any one send me the link to download I am using windows x32

Here are unofficial binaries by Arux (bottom of page #122)
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=641696.msg12901324#msg12901324

You will need to sync the blockchain and remember that the wallet is CLI (command line interface) there is no working GUI (graphical user interface) at this time, so you may need to learn how to use the commands. If you cannot find a daemon/wallet use how-to within this forum, google search for a Monero how-to it will be the same. Hope this helps.

L8nit3-Miners Multi-Pool BTC PRT-LOG-XGTC BTC #GetMining
GdonateqfnmiJKv7mfnUcyvZHaiqxcTQS1 - XGTC DEV FUND
1G2PTf59cYsWKoZjj3i3Cv1Bb8NuNaeho2 - BTC POOL DEV
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 09:50:38 PM

You will need to sync the blockchain and remember that the wallet is CLI (command line interface) there is no working GUI (graphical user interface) at this time, so you may need to learn how to use the commands. If you cannot find a daemon/wallet use how-to within this forum, google search for a Monero how-to it will be the same. Hope this helps.

I remember someone built an unofficial GUI a while back.

GUI for Windows 0.2.3 (by community member h0g0f0g0, src.zip

Have not tried it or heard about anyone else trying it though.

Also, @robelneo 32 bit Windows is not usable. I had hoped the pruning branch would reduce memory usage enough to make it work, but it was still not quite small enough. You need 64 bit currently.

languagehasmeaning

View Profile
February 28, 2016, 02:36:35 AM

I remember someone built an unofficial GUI a while back.

GUI for Windows 0.2.3 (by community member h0g0f0g0, src.zip

Have not tried it or heard about anyone else trying it though.

Also, @robelneo 32 bit Windows is not usable. I had hoped the pruning branch would reduce memory usage enough to make it work, but it was still not quite small enough. You need 64 bit currently.

He could still make a paper wallet for cold storage. No need to sync blockchain for that.
bangomatic
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

ARK Team likes to ban and delete posts in reddit.

View Profile
February 29, 2016, 02:02:20 AM

http://labs.allienworks.net/icons/cryptocoins/

one of the sdc frontend devs built this awesome font icon pack. he updated it to add AEON!
systh

Activity: 390

View Profile
February 29, 2016, 08:31:12 AM

Hi,

yeah, as bangomatic mentioned, I'm maintaining Cryptocoins – vector/webfont cryptocurrency icon pack; just released a new update (1.6) including AEON (thanks to request by your community members and/or your coinmarketcap position)!

Hope you won't mind me posting here (other communities appreciate it).
If you like the work, tip me crypto and support further development:

AEON: WmtK9TQ6yd2ZWZDAkRsebc2ppzUq2Wuo9XRRjHMH2fvqM3ARVqk3styJ6AavJFcpJFPFtxRGAqGFoJM ZGJ6YYzQ61TYGfpykX (base address), b8a0a223119b43148dcae6fbe5ef03df22bfa49a1ff746f9b171dc36a271c9ae (payment ID)
BTC: 1MByfmAdyRFr3qxMh2cspX5RsxS4FKjMmH

Cheers!
~ systh

SNOVio – Decentralized Lead Generation  |   Telegram  |   Facebook
newb4now

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 29, 2016, 09:59:21 AM

Hi,

yeah, as bangomatic mentioned, I'm maintaining Cryptocoins – vector/webfont cryptocurrency icon pack; just released a new update (1.6) including AEON (thanks to request by your community members and/or your coinmarketcap position)!

Hope you won't mind me posting here (other communities appreciate it).
If you like the work, tip me crypto and support further development:

AEON: WmtK9TQ6yd2ZWZDAkRsebc2ppzUq2Wuo9XRRjHMH2fvqM3ARVqk3styJ6AavJFcpJFPFtxRGAqGFoJM ZGJ6YYzQ61TYGfpykX (base address), b8a0a223119b43148dcae6fbe5ef03df22bfa49a1ff746f9b171dc36a271c9ae (payment ID)
BTC: 1MByfmAdyRFr3qxMh2cspX5RsxS4FKjMmH

Cheers!
~ systh

You do great work. Thank you and feel free to post here anytime. I hope you receive some Aeon tips!
Pages: « 1 ... 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 [133] 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 ... 318 »
  Print  

Jump to: