Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 07:00:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is 1 bitcoin a decent and good investment?  (Read 15406 times)
leannemckim46

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 02:13:52 AM

"Investing" in bitcoin is not a good investment.
Exactly. If you were to "invest" in bitcoin then you would be doing nothing more then speculating, which is exposing yourself to significant risk

So are you saying that investing in bitcoin is not advisable? Are you joking?
Bitcoin and all crypto currencies are a very speculative investment. I would agree that it is not a good idea to "invest" in bitcoin. I do believe that the price of bitcoin will likely rise over the long term and that bitcoin will likely be successful. I also believe that bitcoin is not without risks.

██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
RISE

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Eastwind

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 10:29:17 AM

im not saying that will not happen, but is is only one of the possibilities.
1 btc sounds like a good investment if it realy shoots up, also if it fails, its not much too loose it either.

that why mining must stop (the 25BTC per 10min) at the end to permit to the early or big holder to sell and use the coins ...

The minting will stop eventually. Mining is to keep the network safe.
leannemckim46

Activity: 420

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 11:01:06 PM

I agree with this. Bitcoin is still very speculative and is not guaranteed to increase in value.

People should buy bitcoin if they intend to do something with it (generally spend it on something)

██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
RISE
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 10219

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 01:01:11 AM

I agree with this. Bitcoin is still very speculative and is not guaranteed to increase in value.

People should buy bitcoin if they intend to do something with it (generally spend it on something)

You guys/gals/bots are full of shit and lacking in creative thought if you cannot consider some means upon which to incorporate bitcoin into some kind of investment portfolio. 

Surely, there is risks involved with including bitcoin in such an investment portfolio, especially if BTC were the only asset contained or contemplated in your investment portfolio..

Therefore the incorporation of creativity into your conceptions about investment strategies would allow for scenarios in which BTC were NOT the ONLY asset contained in a person's investment portfolio..

In sum, Think about it and try just a little bit to be a little creative, ... that is if you are NOT merely trolling this thread with those kinds of stupid-ass ideas that are suggesting that BTC is not a good investment.  Get real!!!  Roll Eyes Tongue

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 02:26:42 AM

You just have to look at the pricechart over the last 6 months.  Smiley
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 03:12:01 AM

And, how would it help you to look at ONLY 6 months of an asset that has been in existence for a little more than 5 years and has more data than merely the past 6 months?    NOT making too much sense to me, at the moment... so please explain..

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
kittycatbtc

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 03:41:49 PM

Indeed, in fact, its the investment of your lifetime.
Gotti III

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 12:37:12 PM

Yes... it is a good investment.. It doesnt matter how big your investment is as long as you invest it good.
botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 01:14:05 PM

And, how would it help you to look at ONLY 6 months of an asset that has been in existence for a little more than 5 years and has more data than merely the past 6 months?    NOT making too much sense to me, at the moment... so please explain..

It would show the volatile nature of Bitcoin.  Smiley
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 01:31:04 PM

So fucking what?  Six months still remains only part of the picture, so if you selectively pick the last six months as your focal point, then you are getting a very incomplete picture.  I will concede that even though you see some aspect of volatility by looking at the last six months, that picture remains very incomplete - by focusing merely on the past six months, no?  It seems that an investor who wants to be somewhat informed about his/her investment is going to need more than merely looking at the past six months to decide how or if to invest... including if NOT to invest... and maybe comparing what would be a better, if any, place(s) to invest.  Personally, in part based on volatility, I would recommend NOT to invest everything into bitcoin but instead create a diversified investment portfolio and allocate your investment into BTC based on a variety of factors including but NOT limited to your risk tolerance, amount of finance available, other investment assets, view of probabilities concerning various asset classes, including bitcoin, your personal time-line, etc. (NOT just looking at the past six months of BTC's price performance).

cryptomad

Activity: 301

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 04:05:39 PM

Just decide What amount of bitcoins you would like to invest,make sure your happy to potentially Lose that amount,And go ahead and invest Into Other alts And Try and make some profits..

Spend GCN at World of electronics Transfer files at www.gfile.us 10k free per transfer Smiley
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 08:22:55 PM

Just decide What amount of bitcoins you would like to invest,make sure your happy to potentially Lose that amount,And go ahead and invest Into Other alts And Try and make some profits..

Who said anything about other alts? 

BTC is the main game in town in the crypto sphere....

In other words, merely because some one is considering investing into BTC, that consideration does NOT necessarily mean that they need to give much if any consideration to any other cryptos (at this time), and if these people considering investing in BTC are going to diversify their investment portfolios, then they should be considering other non crypto asset classes.

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 08:30:33 PM

So fucking what?  Six months still remains only part of the picture,...

The big picture may include a much greater drop or even a catastrophic failure. This is a social experiment in uncharted waters. I think bitcoin will rise in the future, but that means nothing.
When people here say "invest" they really mean "speculate". I don't know, but I think that at this point most people who speculated on BTC have lost value. It may ultimately be profitable, but it must be considered risky at this point.
By all means do as you wish. However you are not going to get much sympathy if you are buying bitcoin with money you need. Plenty of people here have messed themselves up financially trying to get rich with something they barely understand.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
bitebits
Legendary

Activity: 2211
Merit: 3178

Flippin' burgers since 1163.

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 08:47:01 PM

By all means do as you wish. However you are not going to get much sympathy if you are buying bitcoin with money you need. Plenty of people here have messed themselves up financially trying to get rich with something they barely understand.

But as soon as you understand, you only want more.

- You can figure out what will happen, not when /Warren Buffett
- Pay any Bitcoin address privately with a little help of Monero.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 09:57:39 PM

So fucking what?  Six months still remains only part of the picture,...

The big picture may include a much greater drop or even a catastrophic failure. This is a social experiment in uncharted waters. I think bitcoin will rise in the future, but that means nothing.
When people here say "invest" they really mean "speculate". I don't know, but I think that at this point most people who speculated on BTC have lost value. It may ultimately be profitable, but it must be considered risky at this point.

You are responding to my post; however, it appears that you are merely selectively responding to my post and reading my post as you wish.

Within this thread, I have made several posts, and none of them discount the volatility or the risky nature of bitcoin as either an investment or a speculative asset.

Along these same lines, your post seems to either assume or to highly suggest that investors are going into any bitcoin investment in a "balls to the walls" sort of manner. 
Surely, I have met and even encountered quite a few people who seem to think in these kinds of terms, but in my thinking, this is NO way to go about investing in bitcoin in the last 10 months (or at least between about early December 2013 and about April 2014.  During that time frame, anyone who would have researched a little bit into the price history of BTC and its recent performance should have recognized the volatile nature of BTC as an investment. 

However, since about April 2014 and thereafter, there may have been some decent rationale for investing "balls to the walls" in BTC - since by April-ish 2014, there had already been a considerable price correction from the previous price bubble (that occurred in November-ish 2013).    Anyhow, each of us need to individualize our choices and our investment strategies in regard to whether and how to invest (or NOT to) in BTC.

And, as a large number of informed persons regarding BTC have concluded, it seems to be a good thing to incorporate BTC into ones investment strategies (even if only in a relatively small way, such as 1 BTC).  I personally believe that any investment portfolio should shoot for acquiring at least 10 BTC at todays prices - but this investment could be spread over time, and may need to be adjusted based on future BTC price performance, and/or changes in BTC fundamentals and/or the individual investment method that a person chooses.

polynesia
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 02:49:53 AM

The price doesn't seem to reflect that.  Huh
A lot of people seem to be only selling.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 05:00:19 AM

The price doesn't seem to reflect that.  Huh
A lot of people seem to be only selling.

What is your source that a lot of people seem to be only selling?   

Do you really believe that price reflects adoption rate?

Maybe you should explain how you arrive at your conclusions that people are only selling?

For example, account for the sales actions on the exchanges.  What do you see occurring there?  Have you watched what happens there?  The price goes down $3 or $5, then all of a sudden somewhere between 100BTC to 3000BTC are dumped in a matter of minutes.  Does that kind of exchange BTC sales dynamics establish that a lot of people are getting out and causing the price to go down?  Explain, within your people getting out theory, if you can.

cutesakura

Activity: 158
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 02:33:23 AM

all depends on the price of the current exchange bitcoin, bitcoin exchange if the price was high then it is worth to invest in, but if the bitcoin exchange rates are low, then you should still hold to sell and still collect bitcoin bitcoin sebanya much, if high prices you can sell it back ...  Grin
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 07:09:46 AM

all depends on the price of the current exchange bitcoin, bitcoin exchange if the price was high then it is worth to invest in, but if the bitcoin exchange rates are low, then you should still hold to sell and still collect bitcoin bitcoin sebanya much, if high prices you can sell it back ...  Grin

That makes a lot of sense.  You must be using google translate..  Cheesy

Timetwister
Legendary

Activity: 1199
Merit: 1047

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 05:38:50 PM

my uncle said that 1 bitcoin is all he could afford right now..i could not assure him if it is really a decent and good one...

i said him i will get back to you after i ask this in the forums..

so what is your opinion?

I recommend everyone to buy at least a very small amount as some kind of lottery ticket (or call option) without expiration.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14]  All
  Print  

Jump to: