Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:46:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fixing Avalon and other miners because people keep sending them in... :-)  (Read 668 times)
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 2239

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
June 06, 2017, 02:24:49 AM

Hello all!

I'm Lightfoot, and this is my thread for fixing general miner problems with bitcoin miners.

I started with Jalapenos, then went to fixing Monarchs, Neptunes, have been enjoying a good run with KNC Titans and now I'm branching out into fixing other types of miners. Mainly because people have them, they need fixing, and I enjoy working for bitcoins and litecoins. Go figure.

Anyway, this thread will be similar to my other threads where I fix KNC stuff and the like. Same rules apply: I get stuff to fix, I post what I do, what I learn, and charge for my time and expertise to repair. The classic information is free, experience is rewarded thing.

As for myself, I have been fixing miners for about 4 years now and have gotten pretty good at it. Truth be told there are only so many ways to build a miner, and I've been able to troubleshoot a lot of problems without the help of things like schematics, vendor help, and the like. Not that I would refuse it, if a vendor wanted me to help I would be happy to, I just would write what works so other people can fix things too.

I have air tools, SMD rework tools and the almighty board pre-heater. Seriously if you want to fix PC board get a good pre-heater even if you're using a soldering iron. They warm the board up, allow the solder to properly flow, facilitate taking off components with ease, and most importantly allow you to reduce the temps on your iron which keeps the board from getting burned/traces lifted. There's no feeling quite like opening someone's miner to find that someone else took a blowtorch to the inside.

Anyway, on with the thread. Unlike my ones about KNC Titans and Neptunes, this will cover general bitcoin miners. If you have a question feel free to post. We'll start with an Avalon A6 which came in with toasted power plugs....

Lightfoot Labs

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2017, 02:25:09 AM

Reserved for technical things.

Currently I can fix the following things:

Most problems with KNC Neptunes and Titans
Power and cooling issues with Monarchs
Burned power plugs on Avalon 6 and 7 miners
Burned power plugs on just about anything
Working on MAT miners (weird things)

Open to working on other systems as presented.
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2017, 02:25:29 AM

Reserved for announcements and the like.
Flying Hellfish
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1754

Verified Bernie Bro - Feel The Bern!

View Profile
June 06, 2017, 02:39:46 AM

With all the screwed up S9's out there you should see if some folks could "donate" some fucked up boards to you for diagnostics/analysis.

S9's are likely to be king of the hill for another while yet.  If a fellow like yourself could find a way to bring some of those boards back to life I think you might just have a pretty decent client base.

Or maybe the S9's boards can't be brought back to life?

Either way I know you've been around here for a while now so good luck!
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 06, 2017, 03:57:23 AM

Lightfoot has been around for quite awhile & is REALLY good at fixin miners!!!

He's got my trust!!!  Wink

Too bad I'm into GPUs now,those 3 year warranties rock!!  Cheesy

Best of Luck Lightfoot!!!!!  Cool

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 01:32:53 AM

Thanks guys! Meantime here's my first project in pictures, repairing a burned A6.

Board is out and on the pre-heater. Very important to pre-heat.

Old plugs are off and holes cleared of solder.

All done with new plugs installed. Should be good as new.

truckinusa

Activity: 534
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 08, 2017, 11:14:30 AM

Where did you get the preheater?  I need something like that for a small surfacemount project.

bitJob                       ▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
                ▄▄▄▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄
        ▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
  ▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
  ▀▀██████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀
      ▀▀█████████████████████████████████████████████
         ████████████████████████████████████████  ██
         ▀██████████████████████████████████████▀  ██
          ▀▀██████████████████████████████████▀▀  ████
                                                 ▄████▄
                                                ▀▀████▀▀
IIII
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 09, 2017, 03:44:37 AM

Where did you get the preheater?  I need something like that for a small surfacemount project.
Ebay. Mine is an Aoyue 853a, I've thought about getting the ++ with the remote temp sensor but to be honest I just use a $30 Home Depot IR temp sensor to measure board temps. It's simple, cheap, small, and a little God when it comes to getting things working.

IR lamp ones are far more expensive but can heat the board quicker. I just grab a beer for 5 mins.

C
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 09, 2017, 03:47:31 AM

With all the screwed up S9's out there you should see if some folks could "donate" some fucked up boards to you for diagnostics/analysis.

S9's are likely to be king of the hill for another while yet.  If a fellow like yourself could find a way to bring some of those boards back to life I think you might just have a pretty decent client base.

Shouldn't be too hard. I know Antminer likes to chain their signal lines through the chips, either a source of chips or a single dead A9 should provide plenty of them and swapping those QFN type chips is no different from working on the TMS series power controller chips on the Titan boards.

That and power plugs are usually what blow these days. Plugs are fixable if you have the right tools. :-)

If you know someone who wants me to take a look point them to the thread. I'm going to be working on some S7's pretty soon, will see how those work out.

Thanks!
C
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: