Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 09:26:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will one bitcoin be worth twenty dollars this year?
Yes - 178 (68.5%)
No - 49 (18.8%)
Maybe - 33 (12.7%)
Total Voters: 258

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 1 BTC = 20 USD  (Read 32055 times)
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
May 14, 2011, 07:19:51 PM

How does one define "millionaire" in this context?
Use base units. A million of those equals 0.01 BTC.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 14, 2011, 07:21:19 PM

Already trading over 8.5 btw. Tongue
Already going down.

They're more bouncy than going down or going up.

dmiceman

Activity: 128
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 14, 2011, 07:34:09 PM

Already going down.

They're more bouncy than going down or going up.

It is definitely going down: big sells are begun.
S3052
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 14, 2011, 07:35:52 PM

This does not seem too far - fetched.

The order book looks like a Tsunami. (unless there are a lot of dark pool bids hidden)

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 14, 2011, 10:09:40 PM

ZOMG, EVERYONE PANIC SELL!!!!!!11!!!1!11!!

Meanwhile, I'll keep buying.  Wink
tomcollins

Activity: 182
Merit: 101

View Profile
May 14, 2011, 10:26:31 PM

Next stop $5.
mjsbuddha

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

yung lean

View Profile
May 14, 2011, 10:30:28 PM

let the corrective phase begin
zimpixa

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 14, 2011, 10:51:41 PM

U'll all see that the prive will stay at 5-6 $ in 1-2 days.

YinCoin YangCoin ☯☯First Ever POS/POW Alternator! Multipool! ☯ ☯ http://yinyangpool.com/ 
Free Distribution! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=623937
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 14, 2011, 10:54:22 PM

U'll all see that the prive will stay at 5-6 $ in 1-2 days.

Maybe we'll end the growth period in a long bull market where nothing much happens for a long time..until KABOOM!

TurboK

Activity: 136

View Profile
May 14, 2011, 11:11:33 PM

Now is the time to buy. Then sell when it hits 9$ again.

12zJNWtM2HknS2EPLkT9QPSuSq1576aKx7

Tradehill viral bullshit code: TH-R114411
rutrader

Activity: 86

View Profile
May 14, 2011, 11:22:02 PM

Now is the time to buy. Then sell when it hits 9$ again.

I totally agree. I think $8.5 in 4 days
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 14, 2011, 11:52:16 PM

Looking at the order book, it would only take a very small buy to drive back up to 7.50. This really is fun to watch.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
tomcollins

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 12:01:37 AM

Looking at the order book, it would only take a very small buy to drive back up to 7.50. This really is fun to watch.

It will also take an even smaller sell to drive it below $5.  We are betting on how much fortitude those with a ton of bitcoins have.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 12:09:02 AM

It will also take an even smaller sell to drive it below $5.  We are betting on how much fortitude those with a ton of bitcoins have.

Those with the most bitcoins aren't really even paying attention to the price, because they aren't really interested in selling.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
rutrader

Activity: 86

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 12:11:56 AM

It will also take an even smaller sell to drive it below $5.  We are betting on how much fortitude those with a ton of bitcoins have.

I think that those people who bought them cheap, and have not sold until now, will not sell them now. I speak for myself, because I'm one of them (bought a few thousand for 0.7$). At least I hope so. Smiley

Moreover, I plan to stop watching the stock exchange within 1-2 months. It is very tiring:)

I have a feeling that the dolt who least care about their bitcoins, will be the richest in the end.
tomcollins

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 12:19:55 AM

Those with the most bitcoins aren't really even paying attention to the price, because they aren't really interested in selling.

How does that matter?  You don't need to sell many to drive things down a LOT.  Once that happens, maybe those who "aren't really interested" start thinking "crap, I could have bought a new car, now I have enough to buy new shoes".  If enough people are true believers and believe they can sell a few thousand for $200 next year, they'll hold even in a big drop, and even buy enough to bring the price back up.  It's hard to predict where things will go because it's so much psychology.

If the majority of holders got in when it was dirt cheap, then you'll see a lot less panic since they aren't really losing anything (even though they are).  The people who bought at $2 panic when it hits $3, $5 when it hits $6, etc...  People tend to be very terrified of losing money on something.  They'll hold onto losers far past their entry point just to try to break even.

But I do suspect that the holders of BTC will hold on longer than the general public in a panic since it's not really money to them but points in a video game.  And due to the younger demographics, they don't have actual obligations to pay for things, so the money is not as valuable (it's easier to risk $10,000 for $10 million on a longshot if you don't have mouths to feed, a mortgage to pay, etc...).  Add in a bit of irrationality in how high it may go (replace all money in the world), and you have even less of a panic.  The cult mentality actually helps a lot during any kind of panic that may occur.

I actually did some calculations and based on fundamentals and future values, I put a fundamental value at about $5/BTC.  It's super rough, so anywhere in the $2.50-10 range is probably within reason, but most outcomes are either valueless or very valuable, so it's a big risk.
BitcoinStars.com

Activity: 140

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 12:21:14 AM

It will also take an even smaller sell to drive it below $5.  We are betting on how much fortitude those with a ton of bitcoins have.

I think that those people who bought them cheap, and have not sold until now, will not sell them now. I speak for myself, because I'm one of them (bought a few thousand for 0.7$). At least I hope so. Smiley

Moreover, I plan to stop watching the stock exchange within 1-2 months. It is very tiring:)

Grin
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 12:57:05 AM

I actually did some calculations and based on fundamentals and future values, I put a fundamental value at about $5/BTC.

Care to elucidate us on what those "fundamentals" may be?

Besides, "I just pulled this figure out of my backside and it seems about right."? (as fundamental as that is doesn't make it believable. Anybody who believes they have a fundamental way to value bitcoins is in la-la land. There are just impossibly many variables involved.

tomcollins

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 01:15:40 AM

I actually did some calculations and based on fundamentals and future values, I put a fundamental value at about $5/BTC.

Care to elucidate us on what those "fundamentals" may be?

Besides, "I just pulled this figure out of my backside and it seems about right."? (as fundamental as that is doesn't make it believable. Anybody who believes they have a fundamental way to value bitcoins is in la-la land. There are just impossibly many variables involved.

Obviously it is rough estimates.

I picked a bunch of various possible endpoints for BitCoin that weren't based on speculation.  They ranged from "be as significant as gold" to "totally worthless".  I of course had a few points in between.  I then tried to come up with the likelihood that each scenario is reached.  I tried to be somewhat pessimistic on it.  Multiply probability by value, and you get a rough value.  Then discount the longshot scenarios to account for the variance (I wouldn't risk $3,000 for a 1 in a million chance of $3 billion with no other possibility, for example).  Sum it up.  I based each scenario on actual value.  I based each likelihood based on pulling things out of my ass.

So yeah, it's not going to be exact, and have a huge margin of error.  But to invest serious money into something, putting in *some* effort is better than hoping and praying.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 01:34:07 AM

So yeah, it's not going to be exact, and have a huge margin of error.  But to invest serious money into something, putting in *some* effort is better than hoping and praying.

Agreed.

Okay, so you have a range of outcome scenarios and estimated a likelihood (probablity) of each of those occurring (with a pessimistic/conservative bias). Sounds like a good starting point and a worthwhile exercise. What about you put up the range of values of probabilities and we'll have something to discuss ... (yes I'm bored) ... to your benefit we may collectively come up with a better estimate on the likelihood probabilities than you on your own ....

... we'll can call it the "pizza guy analysis", after the guy who delivered 2 pizzas for 10,000 BTC (maybe he did a similar thought process).

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: