Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 01:26:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: It's Clear That The Future Of Bitcoin Is Not In The US  (Read 1582 times)
CryptoCurrencyInc.com (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 11:02:27 AM
Last edit: June 07, 2014, 11:13:15 AM by CryptoCurrencyInc.com

It's Clear That The Future Of Bitcoin Is Not In The US

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/bitcoin-is-going-to-take-off--just-probably-not-thanks-to-anyone-you-know-2014-6#ixzz33wyTFDMK

╓▄▌██P                   
                                                 ╔▄▌███▀███▌                   
                                           ▄▄▌██▀▀╚  ╓██╩██                     
                                     ▄▄███▀▀╙      ▄██  ▓█                     
                               ▄▌███▀▀+          ▄█▀   ▐█                       
                        ,▄▌███▀▀¬              ▓█▀     █▄                       
                  ,▄▌███▀▀                  ,██▀      █▌                       
               '█████▌▄▄,                 ╓██╩       ██                         
                  ▀██▌▐▀▀▀█████▌▌▄▄╓    ▄██¬        ▄█                         
                     ▀██▄        ╚▀▀▀████          ▐█═                         
                        ▀██▄        ▓█▀██          █▀                           
                           ▀██▄  ,██▀   █µ        ██                           
                              ▀███Z     ██       ██                             
                                ▐██     ▐█      ▄█                             
                              ,,╓╓█▓▄▌   █▌    ▐█U                             
                        º▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███   ▀█    █▌                               
                          ▀█▓▓▓▓▓████▀█▌  █▌  ██                               
                            ▀███████▌  ▀█µ▀█ ██                                 
                              ▀█████     ███▓█                                 
                                ▐███      ▀██Ñ                                 
                                            ▀                             

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 12:01:00 PM

Well... some of the states such as Texas and California has taken steps to legalize Bitcoin. So it is too early to say that the Future of Bitcoin is not in the US. US will play an important role, as long as the majority of Bitcoin users are located there.  Grin

Also, the figures given in that article are dubious. The CNY-BTC exchange volumes are taken from exchange sites such as OKCoin, who are accused of inflating their trade volumes.  Angry
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2014, 12:04:46 PM

The future of Bitcoin is not in the US, you're right. But that's only because in the future, the US (and all other nation-states) will exist inside the Bitcoin (sovereign) economy.

Bitcoin is the beginning of the end for the nation-state as we know it, and that's good for everyone who likes reason more than violence, and peace more than war.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826

amarha

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 01:17:57 PM

Per capita downloads mean nothing really. China and the US are and are going to continue to be the biggest users of bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies overall by a long shot. It's great that bitcoin is so popular in some of those countries but that alone doesn't mean particularly much.
Beliathon

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2014, 01:27:15 PM

Especially when you consider that the US is really two nations in one. The cutting edge coastal cities of the east and west coast, and the sleeping giant of the middle country and most of the south.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
shawshankinmate37927

Activity: 854

Bitcoin: The People's Bailout

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 01:30:14 PM

Well... some of the states such as Texas and California has taken steps to legalize Bitcoin. So it is too early to say that the Future of Bitcoin is not in the US. US will play an important role, as long as the majority of Bitcoin users are located there.  Grin

I live in California and I can assure you that Bitcoin is already legal here.  There are several Bitcoin businesses, including Coinbase, located in California.  Bitcoins were never made illegal here.

"It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning."   - Henry Ford
CoinRocka

Activity: 249

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 01:56:16 PM

I would make a rebuttal to your claim and say the US is in a place where it doesn't need to make a switch from FIAT in the short term.  10-15 yrs maybe.  Other countries are not as fortunate.

acs267

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 02:20:42 PM

What the fuck are you smoking? US and China are one of the biggest users of Bitcoin. Some of the big cities have already started using it more often, and as people stated before, CA and TX have already started to legalize. I'd more so say China might not hold Bitcoin, since they censor history, so hell, why not censor a currency?
Este Nuno
Legendary

amarha

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 02:26:31 PM

I live in California and I can assure you that Bitcoin is already legal here.  There are several Bitcoin businesses, including Coinbase, located in California.  Bitcoins were never made illegal here.

I'm sure there is lots of bitcoin commerce going on in California at the moment, but from reading this thread(https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=464149.msg5129518#msg5129518 it appears that California does actually have a odd technicality law in place that makes bitcoin illegal.
Beliathon

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2014, 02:50:11 PM

...since they censor history, so hell, why not censor a currency?
All nation-states censor history by necessity. If they were honest about their history to their children, the state would be abolished in one or two generations.

Nation-states must employ hierarchy-based violence in order to continue to exist. In an honest nation, any reasonable human being would see that this is selfish, cruel, and utterly unjustifiable behavior.

"The most dangerous man, to any government, is the man who is able to think things out for himself... Almost inevitably, he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, and intolerable."
-H. L. Mencken, The Smart Set, December 1919

shawshankinmate37927

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 03:01:23 PM

I live in California and I can assure you that Bitcoin is already legal here.  There are several Bitcoin businesses, including Coinbase, located in California.  Bitcoins were never made illegal here.

I'm sure there is lots of bitcoin commerce going on in California at the moment, but from reading this thread(https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=464149.msg5129518#msg5129518 it appears that California does actually have a odd technicality law in place that makes bitcoin illegal.

Apparently, the California law states that only "lawful money of the United States" can be used in California.  FinCEN determined last year that using Bitcoin does not violate any laws, which should make it "lawful".

"It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning."   - Henry Ford
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 03:17:56 PM

I live in California and I can assure you that Bitcoin is already legal here.  There are several Bitcoin businesses, including Coinbase, located in California.  Bitcoins were never made illegal here.

That is a bit confusing. From what I have heard, Bitcoins were in the grey zone. That is, there were no laws and regulations dealing specifically with Bitcoins and other crypto-coins.
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 03:24:55 PM

I would like to see it become less US centric. Of course melting the biggest fiat currency first has advantages.

TheGambler

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 03:26:24 PM

Bitcoin should be worldwide
It would be the first non-us centric currency but I doubt it could just escape the US hold
shawshankinmate37927

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 03:29:27 PM

That is a bit confusing. From what I have heard, Bitcoins were in the grey zone. That is, there were no laws and regulations dealing specifically with Bitcoins and other crypto-coins.

In the US, we don't have to have laws to make something legal, unless there was previously a law making it illegal.  No one has been prosecuted, much less convicted, for using bitcoins in California.

jc01480

Nope..

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 03:47:57 PM

Given the current rulings in criminal and civil courts, there is an argument to be made that crypto is all that money is.  The legal recognition of it will be just as bumpy a ride as the crypto is volatile. 
allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2014, 03:51:17 PM

Time will tell. I believe it is still up in the air.

TheGambler

Activity: 101

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 03:53:28 PM

Given the current rulings in criminal and civil courts, there is an argument to be made that crypto is all that money is.  The legal recognition of it will be just as bumpy a ride as the crypto is volatile. 

It's certainly died down from what it used to be...from what I can see anyway?
shawshankinmate37927

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 03:53:34 PM

Even if politicians make Bitcoin illegal, it will thrive in other jurisdictions that don't make it illegal, and in the black markets.

jc01480

Nope..

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 03:59:06 PM

Even if politicians make Bitcoin illegal, it will thrive in other jurisdictions that don't make it illegal, and in the black markets.

I think most legislators understand this and want to be progressive in doing the right thing as opposed to being negative and banning the (fear) of the unknown.  It's like Dirty Dancing, only with money...lol

Depending on their reaction, whether favorable or not, the lobbyists will then throw down their gauntlet and start trying to meddle.
Este Nuno
Legendary

amarha

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 04:09:52 PM

Apparently, the California law states that only "lawful money of the United States" can be used in California.  FinCEN determined last year that using Bitcoin does not violate any laws, which should make it "lawful".

That's an interesting interpretation of the law. The only reason I might doubt that interpretation is the fact that they are attempting to pass the bill outlined in that thread. If your interpretation was correct there would be little reason to pass that specific bill. I'm not a lawyer though so I'm just speculating here.
bellgarath1

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 04:17:23 PM

I see bit coin become more and more widely excepted, as I travel across the US.

I think it will only grow as business needs not include every possible customer.

Jerry
Catmoonglow

Activity: 147
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 07:05:22 PM

Every statistic mentioned in this article is questionable. I'm going to shrug and keep using bitcoin in the U.S
beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 09:38:35 PM

americans own the most number of bitcoins, and a lot of startups are from the U.S... so i don't get the point of the article.
Beliathon

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2014, 03:01:07 AM

It's clear that the future of Bitcoin is not Mars.

bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 06:07:55 PM

americans own the most number of bitcoins, and a lot of startups are from the U.S... so i don't get the point of the article.

The point is just that the US is not the most Bitcoin-friendly country right now. The author is just stating that opening a Bitcoin venture somewhere in the Bitcoin-friendly nations (such as Alderney) might be more easier than starting one in the EU or the US.
Beliathon

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2014, 06:32:22 PM

The author is just stating that opening a Bitcoin venture somewhere in the Bitcoin-friendly nations (such as Alderney) (...)
What the flying fuck is an Alderney? Did you just make up a nation?

Kind regards,

An American.

bitsire

Activity: 223
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 07:30:43 PM

It's Clear That The Future Of Bitcoin Anything Financial Is Not In The US
twistyfy

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 07:43:10 PM

It could go either way. It's still to early to tell where the real future of Bitcoin is going to be.
Acidyo

Activity: 588

Will Bitcoin Rise Again to $60,000?

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 07:46:09 PM

I wouldn't go as far as to say that it won't be the U.S.

There are many early adopters from the U.S and many use it and know about it there. Same goes for merchants.
The government can say all it wants about btc but they can't stop it, so they may as well join it. Smiley
designfail

Activity: 86

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 07:59:10 PM

Did mr. Jeff Bezos just pay for the publication and is trying to say that the future is, if course, an Amazon coin?
jimimcome907620

Activity: 397

The Experience Layer of the Decentralized Internet

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 02:27:25 AM

nice one. I believe it must have good future.

Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: