Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:19:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [SOLVED] Solo mining with BlockErupterBlade ASIC?  (Read 8134 times)
alxAcid (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 08:46:07 PM
Last edit: November 30, 2013, 01:36:54 AM by alxAcid

I've searched all over bitcointalk.org for an answer to this question and I haven't found it yet: how do I go about setting up Block Erupter Blades to solo mine the blockchain? Right now, I have blades mining using mining_proxy.py from slush's pool and it works fairly well but I am concerned about the return in the future and feel like solo mining might be useful at some point.

Here are my concerns:
  • Am I able to point mining_proxy.py to the IP address where bitcoin-qt is listening to solo mine?
  • Would I be better off with something like BFGminer? What parameters should I run it with to solo mine?

If y'all could help by pointing me in the right direction I'd really appreciate.

Cheers!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinBarrel
Legendary

Activity: 1961
Merit: 1020

Fill Your Barrel with Bitcoins!

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2013, 04:27:46 AM

Run bitcoin-qt as Server by adding

RPCUSER=[username]
RPCPASSWORD=[password]
Server=1

to the bitcoin.conf file

Then point your miner to http://localhost:8332 in most cases.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
     ▄██████████████▄
   ▄█████████████████▌
  ▐███████████████████▌
 ▄█████████████████████▄
 ███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
 ██████████████████████▀
 ▀████████████████████▀
  ▀██████████████████
    ▀▀████████████▀▀

wetjet43

Activity: 57

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 05:37:55 AM

How would you do this on a Pi running bfgminer?
E-TARD

Activity: 32

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2013, 11:11:11 PM
Last edit: November 21, 2013, 08:56:21 PM by E-TARD

How would you do this on a Pi running bfgminer?

I don't think you can run bitcoin-qt on a raspberry pi.  Undecided

I'm sure you run the bitcoin-qt somewhere in your home
like on your desktop or laptop...
so lets say your running bitcoin-qt on your desktop
& your desktop on your home LAN is 192.168.1.6

then go into your bitcoin.conf file
and set
rpcallowip=192.168.1.*
setting this will allow any computer in your LAN to connect to your bitcoin-qt RPC port

I always like to change the rpcport=7533 to something random but that's me

you have to set this Server=1
it tells Bitcoin-QT to accept JSON-RPC commands

and set this to what you want
RPCUSER=bob
RPCPASSWORD=abc123
do pick a good pass!!!

in bfgminer.conf
just point it to your PC IP & Port
"url" : "http://192.168.1.6:7533",
"user" : "bob",
"pass" : "abc123",

and that's it
do keep in mind that solo mining is really only good if you have Th/s
I'm not going to be like some of the dicks on here & say "your a noob, solo mining is dead" etc.. because that's what they did to me last year  Angry
for the most part its kind of dead
if you have like 1Th/s you have better odds of getting a block some day sooner but if you have like 50gh/s then it could be some time before you see anything.

there is a luck factor to solo mining
you could get real lucky & get a block with 50gh/s or you could be w8ing months if not years
that's the game of solo mining its 50 50 you could be unlucky for weeks & that one day comes where you get lucky

in many ways I feel pool mining is fucking dumb but its the way the game is played, for now.
CarneMuerta

Activity: 17

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 06:17:06 PM

Hmmm, I assume this supports getwork
Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 09:33:36 PM

I would think that this should be easy since blades use getwork and Bitcoin-QT supports getwork.

Can't you just run bitcoin-QT in server mode as discribed above and point your Blade at the computer running bitoin-QT? You should not need any of the proxys since they are just needed when only stratum is available.

or, if you can find Pool software that supports getwork, that might give you a little more visibility. the thing with Solo mining is tht it often looks like nothing is happening.

Of course, everything i've just said might be wrong, I'm no expert.
alxAcid (OP)

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 05:22:57 AM

Thanks for the replies!

I've got bitcoind installed and created the bitcoin.conf containing:

server=1
daemon=1
rpcuser=USERNAME
rpcpassword=PASSWORD
rpcport=8332

I start bitcoind and it begins to download the blockchain. I've got my block erupter blades running, pointed at the server's IP address, with the user:pass field on the blades set as USERNAME:PASSWORD,USERNAME:PASSWORD. Have I proceeded correctly?

Now a few more questions...

If I were to solve a block, where would those bitcoins go? The wallet associated with bitcoind?

Is there any way that I can verify the blades are hashing?

Cheers!
alxAcid (OP)

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 12:31:11 AM

It seems every thread about solo mining with block erupter blades gets this far and then dies... bump.

This is my bitcoin.conf :

server=1
daemon=1
rpcuser=user
rpcport=8332
rpcallowip=192.168.2.254 (blade's IP)
listen=1
gen=0

These are my blades settings:

MHS: 000000
Received: 0
Accepted: 0
IP: 192.168.2.254
Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.2.1
Primary/Secondary DNS: 192.168.2.1
Ports: 8332,8332
ServerAddresses: 192.168.2.101,192.168.2.101
user:pass: user:pass,user:pass

So the blades are not receiving work from bitcoind? Port 8332 is open, so firewall is not getting in the way.
alxAcid (OP)

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 07:03:15 PM

So I've gotten the two blades to receive work from bitcoind and I can see it in their webgui that they are receiving work. After about two minutes, however, they stop receiving work and their timers reset and bitcoind on the server becomes unresponsive and have to reboot to get bitcoind to start up correctly again.

Even running one blade directed at bitcoind hangs up and bitcoind becomes unresponsive. Anyone have any ideas for solutions?
Trongersoll

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 07:16:05 PM

So I've gotten the two blades to receive work from bitcoind and I can see it in their webgui that they are receiving work. After about two minutes, however, they stop receiving work and their timers reset and bitcoind on the server becomes unresponsive and have to reboot to get bitcoind to start up correctly again.

Even running one blade directed at bitcoind hangs up and bitcoind becomes unresponsive. Anyone have any ideas for solutions?

Hmmm, It might be that bitcoind isn't fast enough for the blade. you might try putting a stratum proxy in between the blade and bitcoind. something to act as a buffer of sorts. This is just a thought on my part.
alxAcid (OP)

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 09:23:53 PM

I think so too, perhaps something with the blade requesting work by RPC call before the previous request closes... anyone have this same problem?
stacksmasher

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 12:05:55 AM

Yep, I solved it by running bfgminer in proxy mode and just adding my local wallet as the pool. super easy but not posted very many places. 
Trongersoll

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 12:33:36 AM

Another thought, try with one Blade first. I seem to remember reading that the blades restart if they are under powered.
alxAcid (OP)

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 01:36:28 AM

Thanks to user tiktoc's post at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=162788.0 I got a stratum proxy set up on top of bitcoind and point mining_proxy.py to the server running stratum. Excellent guide, had to tip the guy.

vmfx

Activity: 30

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2014, 09:17:59 PM

alxAcid - can you share how you id this ? his guide is very long!!!
_Crash_

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 05:18:25 PM

You can run bitcoind, in-fact any client on the Raspberry Pi, the only problem is the size of the SDCard since it'll download the ENTIRE blockchain, and it's well over 14GB. For this, you'll need an external HDD or USB Drive (Although the amount of read/write would significantly decrease its lifetime) and point the data directory to somewhere on the external device by using the "-datadir" parameter with bitcoind. It will take days to download the blockchain though since the Pi has to verify the blocks. I managed to downloaded the Dogecoin blockchain in about 2-3 days - again, this isn't a bandwidth issue, it's limited to how fast the Pi can process the blocks.

MiningSpace.net - MULTI-COIN / MULTI-POOL :: Miners Paid TX Fees! :: Europe :: Most Profitable Pool! :: Gigabit Connectivity :: 0% Fee!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: