Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 01:11:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: can't get 0.9.1 to work. Is 0.8.6 safe?  (Read 852 times)
micalith (OP)

Activity: 894
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 12:04:48 PM

I looked around and didn't manage to work out how to easily run the 0.9.1 bitcoin qt client in Ubuntu 13.04. Why they changed it so that you can't just run it by double clicking on the qt client like it's been for all previous versions I've used is beyond me. I just want to sync the blockchain and transfer some coin. Is there any good reason why I shouldn't just use 0.8.6 which actually works when I double click on it? Would it be safe? Would 0.8.6 be appropriate to safely generate some cold storage wallets on an offline computer?

Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Ashbite

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 05:20:15 PM

Well, 0.8.6 is safe but there are risks.
The reason why they updated is because of safety, so you should really try to get the wallet to work.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2014, 05:44:11 PM

How do you get it to run?

Did you make the file executable? (RClick in GUI -> Properties -> check "allow execution as programm")

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
micalith (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 06:00:00 PM

Did you make the file executable? (RClick in GUI -> Properties -> check "allow execution as programm")

Yeah, I tried that. Doesn't work whether I double click, or enter 'bitcoin-qt' or 'bash bitcoin-qt' in terminal. It's kind of ridiculous that the feature to run the client easily was removed for 0.9.1 ... I actually went through many other steps from a thread here a while ago, but it didn't help. Sorry, can't recall the thread, and don't have time to 'develop' a fix.

So does anyone know enough about the fine details of the client updates to know whether I'm actually safe to do what I described with 0.8.6?
Silvercube146

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 06:32:13 PM

Yeah, I tried that. Doesn't work whether I double click, or enter 'bitcoin-qt' or 'bash bitcoin-qt' in terminal. It's kind of ridiculous that the feature to run the client easily was removed for 0.9.1 ... I actually went through many other steps from a thread here a while ago, but it didn't help. Sorry, can't recall the thread, and don't have time to 'develop' a fix.

So does anyone know enough about the fine details of the client updates to know whether I'm actually safe to do what I described with 0.8.6?

Not sure if this would help.
Have you tried chmod +x bitcoin-qt then ./bitcoin-qt.
The first command will set bitcoin-qt to be executable then ./bitcoin-qt will try to run it.
lewisg

Activity: 281
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 03:48:57 AM

If you didn't manage to run the 0.9.1 bitcoin qt client, either use or donate to the mutil wallet developers or to an independent third party developer who can write the necessary code, or test existing solutions.

kingscrown

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

http://fuk.io - check it out!

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2014, 03:55:33 AM

the older wallet is all good man. i use it on linux too

Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 04:46:36 AM

If none of this https://bitcoin.org/en/version-history concerns you, you should be good.

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2014, 06:00:37 AM

If none of this https://bitcoin.org/en/version-history concerns you, you should be good.

I was actually reading this and though well OP is fine, but then I didnt post that because I was not sure what OP actually wants to do.

For generating keys thats fine, but an offline wallet would also sign transactions. So the "Transaction malleability-related fixes" might be an issue. Esp. the tightening of "IsStandard()" might result in transactions that are not broadcasted across the network.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
micalith (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 09:02:47 AM

I was actually reading this and though well OP is fine, but then I didnt post that because I was not sure what OP actually wants to do.

For generating keys thats fine, but an offline wallet would also sign transactions. So the "Transaction malleability-related fixes" might be an issue. Esp. the tightening of "IsStandard()" might result in transactions that are not broadcasted across the network.

Yeah, I couldn't be sure that I fully understood all the implications of the 0.9.0 version changes. It appears that I in deed didn't. The "IsStandard()" thing could be problematic.

Not sure if this would help.
Have you tried chmod +x bitcoin-qt then ./bitcoin-qt.
The first command will set bitcoin-qt to be executable then ./bitcoin-qt will try to run it.

Yes! I had tried chmod +x bitcoin-qt, but had then entered bitcoin-qt. Entering ./bitcoin-qt got it.  Thanks.

One of these days I'll get round to learning linux properly...
Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 04:47:46 PM

I know, sometimes there's so many options on what they don't post or want to do exactly. So I just post the info and let them make up their own mind. If there are more questions they always can come back.

In this case OP also could generate the keys in 0.8.6 and by the time he wants to spend he simply imports the wallet.dat in a (by that future time) current Bitcoin Core (as long as it's backward compatible).

But of course, IMHO, if there is a true offline computer to be involved, why not use Armory in the first place? The beauty of bitcoin: So many options Smiley

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
paythrough_team

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 11:39:27 AM

0.8.6 version is very safe
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: