Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:20:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 310 Mhash/s is $0.01 per day?  (Read 2252 times)
coreyman (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 07:44:02 AM

So according to a lot of popular profitability calculators taking in current exchange rate and difficulty settings, I will be losing money at 310Mhash/s with my Radeon 7800 Series due to power costs. Should I trash this card and get a different one? Or throw out GPU mining altogether and go with an ASIC?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mikez

Activity: 508
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 07:47:01 AM

No point in trying to mine with it, other than playing around and learning about mining.
Maybe you can try and mine some really new altcoins and hope that the price increases.

My advice, buy an ASIC, either for SHA256 or Scrypt.

cinnamon_carter
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

It's about time -- All merrit accepted !!!

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2014, 08:04:34 AM

you can mine 5 coins at once in the blake 256 merged mining pools blake coin, photon, dirac, electron and blake bitcoin

5x your hash power

i mine in the la pool but there are several the la pool is here

http://la1.blakecoin.com/index.php

the blake coin thread is here and has all the information and builds of miners ect you need to get started

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=306894.0

Check out my coin Photon
Merge Mine 5 other Blake 256 coins - 6x your hash power  https://www.blakecoin.org/

The obvious choice is not always the best choice.

LOOK DEEPER - Look into the Blake 256 Family -- CC
JohanM

Activity: 136
Merit: 35

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 08:19:52 AM

Mining with this card was never profitable when taking into account the bitcoin price at the time of mining.
In 2010/2011 you could mine lots of bitcoins with this card but the coins were essentially worthless at the time.
The rise of bitcoin price made it (hugely) profitable after the fact, but so would buying 1000USD worth of coins at that time (at 0.05 $/BTC)

Same situation today. The card will cost many times more in electricity than it will get in bitcoins.
If the bitcoin price rises to 1,000,000 USD even this would be profitable.

That being said, using GPU today to mine bitcoins is completely a big no-no. Asic's are the only way now because with todays bitcoin prices you can marginally get your investment back.

For investment purposes this is not the way to go. It is much simpeler just buying the coins and holding them (in well protected wallet, read up on this FIRST).
Justin00
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 10:57:17 AM

0.01/day... what about in a month ? wouldn't difficulty make it 0.00001/month ?
I don't know much about mining, i just hear things lol.

coreyman (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 01:54:01 PM

0.01/day... what about in a month ? wouldn't difficulty make it 0.00001/month ?
I don't know much about mining, i just hear things lol.

No the difficulty is included with the current profitability calculators.
DolanDuck

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 02:43:05 PM

If you want to have some fun by trading, buy a new hardware to mine scrypt coins,
if you want some easy profit just buy bitcoins and hold them long term.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
coreyman (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 04:25:49 PM

Also apparently mining on the CPU affects Mhash/s from the GPU so much that it isn't worth it to mine on CPU and GPU and the same time.
zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2014, 04:44:52 PM

Mining with this card was never profitable when taking into account the bitcoin price at the time of mining.
In 2010/2011 you could mine lots of bitcoins with this card but the coins were essentially worthless at the time.
The rise of bitcoin price made it (hugely) profitable after the fact, but so would buying 1000USD worth of coins at that time (at 0.05 $/BTC)

Same situation today. The card will cost many times more in electricity than it will get in bitcoins.

That being said, using GPU today to mine bitcoins is completely a big no-no. Asic's are the only way now because with todays bitcoin prices you can marginally get your investment back.

For investment purposes this is not the way to go. It is much simpeler just buying the coins and holding them (in well protected wallet, read up on this FIRST).

2010, maybe.  not 2011.  I payed off half a dozen 5830's in about 10 days
coreyman (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 04:50:12 PM

What do you suggest for this point in time? 6/9/2014?
Harley997

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 04:38:30 AM

So according to a lot of popular profitability calculators taking in current exchange rate and difficulty settings, I will be losing money at 310Mhash/s with my Radeon 7800 Series due to power costs. Should I trash this card and get a different one? Or throw out GPU mining altogether and go with an ASIC?

GPUs have been unprofitable for a good part of a year now. You would earn very close to 0 BTC and would still have your electric costs.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2014, 07:18:48 AM

I'd suggest buying bitcoins if you think their price is going to go up.  ASICs are all incredibly overpriced, as is the 'rented' ghash at cex.io (they'd use it themselves if they made more money that way).

GPUs are pointless for bitcoins.

If you're a gamer and have a good card and live with your parents, they probably wouldn't notice an extra $10 or something on their electricity bill if you mined some scrypt coin at night or somesuch.  You should be able to make a little bit off of that.
Bitsaurus

Activity: 873
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 08:02:05 PM

I'd suggest buying bitcoins if you think their price is going to go up.  ASICs are all incredibly overpriced, as is the 'rented' ghash at cex.io (they'd use it themselves if they made more money that way).

GPUs are pointless for bitcoins.

If you're a gamer and have a good card and live with your parents, they probably wouldn't notice an extra $10 or something on their electricity bill if you mined some scrypt coin at night or somesuch.  You should be able to make a little bit off of that.

True but if you're living with parents, you're probably in your own room and have your PC close to your head.  Most people don't want 50-100% fans buzzing in their ears at night - at least not for the 10 cents a day it makes  Sad
TheDragonSlayer

Activity: 273

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 02:31:50 PM

The good part about GPU is, you can mine anything with it so go look for one that is profitable.

Harley997

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 04:02:18 PM

The good part about GPU is, you can mine anything with it so go look for one that is profitable.

You may be "able" to mine anything with it, but it may not always be profitable to do so.

If you pay more in electric costs then the value of the coins a GPU mines then you can't "really" mine that coin with it as it is not economically advantageous to do so.

PRIMEDICE
tuanvie

Activity: 448

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 02:57:34 AM

I will try to buy the fury gawminres 1.3 MH / s.
are still able to profit?

▄▄█▀▀█▄▄
  ▄▄█████▄▄█████▄▄
████  ███  ███  ████
  ▀▀█████▀▀█████▀▀

▀█▄▄  ▀▀█▄▄█▀▀   ▄▄█
 ▀▀███▄▄     ▄▄██▀██
     ▀███   ██▀  ▄█
██     ██  ██ ▄██▀██
▀██    ██  ███▀  ▄██
 ▀███▄▄██  ██ ▄███▀
    ▀▀███  ▀██▀▀
Just.Bet 

█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
DICE
LOTTERY
PLINKO
COIN FLIP
CRASH
WHEEL
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
        ███████       ▄▄██▄
                  ▄▄███▀▀██▄
      ██████   ▄███████▄▄███▄
               ▀██  █████████▄
                ▀█████████▀▀██▄
████████████     ▀███▀▀███▄▄██▀
██  ████  ██      ▀██▄▄███▀▀
█████▀▀█████  ██   ▀██▀▀
█████▄▄█████
██  ████  ██   ██████
████████████
DECENTRALIZED
PROVABLY FAIR
ON CHAIN GAMES
█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
PLAY NOW
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
[/center]
nwfella
Legendary

Activity: 1568

Well hello there!

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 07:05:34 PM

If you want to have some fun by trading, buy a new hardware to mine scrypt coins,
if you want some easy profit just buy bitcoins and hold them long term.
+1 This.  Unless you have a time machine to get back to 2010/2011 your pretty much screwed as far as profitability goes trying to mine BTC with a GPU.  You'll lose slightly less money every month if you switch over to some Scrypt-N, or X11/X13 based coin but more than likely unless you have free electricity your still looking at a net loss.

¯¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪̀●́)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Gimme the crypto!!
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 04:00:04 AM

You can get a lot of these card on the cheap on eBay due to all the miners dumping them.  Scrypt hashrates are going up with ASICs now.
Harley997

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 06:46:01 AM

You can get a lot of these card on the cheap on eBay due to all the miners dumping them.  Scrypt hashrates are going up with ASICs now.

The problem with this is that even if you get the cards cheaply they are still unprofitable to operate.

PRIMEDICE
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 06:56:25 AM

The problem with this is that even if you get the cards cheaply they are still unprofitable to operate.

That's why they're dumped on eBay and not here saving the seller a 20% fee.  When there was a shortage you could sell a 5830 on here and now there's a glut of cards.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: