Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 07:35:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The "black swan" event  (Read 2226 times)
spazzdla (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 04:00:03 PM

That will demo the markets and bring the house of cards tumbling down.

Any ideas on what it will be?

Wondering what the tops are planning to be the black swan, I am thinking something to do with China and Russia backing their $ with gold and actually showing the world what they have.  Then calling out Merica on the gold they "have".

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RandomPedestrianN9

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 04:07:22 PM

Yes, a gold backed juan would be great. Hell ill even take russian currency if its backed by liters of oil or gas stored underground over BTC anyday.
pinksheep

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 04:12:24 PM

and what will happen BTC if this were to occur?

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Raystonn

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 04:15:32 PM

Wondering what the tops are planning to be the black swan, I am thinking something to do with China and Russia backing their $ with gold and actually showing the world what they have.  Then calling out Merica on the gold they "have".

It sounds like you are discussing a black swan event throughout the major financial markets, and not in Bitcoin.  Am I right?
E-valuta

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 04:20:30 PM

Yes, a gold backed juan would be great. Hell ill even take russian currency if its backed by liters of oil or gas stored underground over BTC anyday.

Over USD, not BTC, I assume? Smiley

The black swan.. hmm.. most facts about China and Russia are not unknown at all. To western Public, perhaps, but it is no Secret that there is a major currency and trade war going on and has for the last 10 years. The winner will without a doubt be China, Russia and most countries of the world outside USA and EU.

To Western uneducated audience then yes, China's currency is the black swan.

For western educated economics and politicans - Bitcoin.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 04:35:14 PM

Too easy to counterfeit or fractional reserve.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 05:37:09 PM

The "Earasian Union" Russia is starting to form might pose a serious threat to the dollar and to the fiat system as a whole (or at least to the current fiats, as altyr will also be fiat).

Too easy to counterfeit or fractional reserve.

in history it always was like this:

1) they use gold (and silver maybe) as payment
2) they replace gold either with copper/gold mixtures or with paper that represents gold 'gold-backed' system
3) inflation happens, there's not enough gold to cover all the costs (this era is marked by spending money like water and living on credit etc.)
4) end of gold standard, collapse of society (era marked by chaos and poverty and often the fall of an empire)
5) new society/return to gold standard.

except this time we have an alternative -> turn to decentralized crypto.
spazzdla (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 05:39:58 PM

It sounds like you are discussing a black swan event throughout the major financial markets, and not in Bitcoin.  Am I right?

Yes, this was/is about the financial markets.
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4018
Merit: 1299

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 10:54:02 PM

Bitcoin (and/or crypto-currencies in general) is the black swan for some institutions.
okthen

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 10:59:50 PM

Bitcoin (and/or crypto-currencies in general) is the black swan for some institutions.

Still on a very small scale.
And not in Russia/China in any case.
Pente

Activity: 528
Merit: 527

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2014, 03:54:04 AM

Give it time. I am betting on a world wide fiat currency disaster/collapse/severe inflation event before 2020.

This event was inevitable, but cryptocurrencies are going to hasten this moment. Luckily, they will also allow the world to survive.
Bernard Lerring

Activity: 294

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 08:01:37 AM

If the global economy changed and if Bitcoin took its place would anything change? Would Bitcoin be largely owned by an elite, with the average person scrabbling about for less than a Satoshi?

Posted From bitcointalk.org Android App
xavier

Activity: 260

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 08:16:16 AM

Give it 2 years until we have a major financial collapse

The "global economy" - all sources of current economic growth - are completely unsustainable.  The main source of this is china's 30-year manipulation of the foreign exchange market.

We are in the ending stages now.

Still , my feeling is bitcoin *MAY* go down more before it goes up. However, that's not a very strong feeling. I wouldnt want to be out of the rally that started in April/May. So, keep some cash on hand but also be in the market.
AZwarel

Activity: 401
Merit: 280

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 02:07:41 PM

Give it time. I am betting on a world wide fiat currency disaster/collapse/severe inflation event before 2020.

This event was inevitable, but cryptocurrencies are going to hasten this moment. Luckily, they will also allow the world to survive.

It was already proposed, the idea of decentralized crypto currency in the 90's.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYD17h6hlCs
Black swan theory predicts the unknown knowns.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_swan_theory
percocet

Activity: 222
Merit: 102

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 11:24:20 AM

I believe the black swan is drawing near. My bet is that it will be the failure of a major bank (Deutsche Bank maybe) or some sort of gigantic default on a loan that will bring the house of cards tumbling down.

It could also be a major announcement from Russia or China that they are no longer going to conduct any business in US dollars.
spazzdla (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 12:33:48 PM

I believe the black swan is drawing near. My bet is that it will be the failure of a major bank (Deutsche Bank maybe) or some sort of gigantic default on a loan that will bring the house of cards tumbling down.

It could also be a major announcement from Russia or China that they are no longer going to conduct any business in US dollars.

I am also feeling China and Russia make a new joint currency backed by gold, instantly sinking the dollar, at that point.. .. boom.
okthen

Activity: 490

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 12:35:08 PM

I am also feeling China and Russia make a new joint currency backed by gold, instantly sinking the dollar, at that point.. .. boom.

I think not even the Russian are that dumb.
They might be anti-America, but they want to be western.
howardb

Activity: 574

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 12:38:45 PM

+1
Yeah I thought the question was being asked the wrong way round, seems intuitive to me that BTC is the black swan to Fiats
and current economic cycle.
howardb

Activity: 574

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 12:40:06 PM

China have ceased buying US treasuries, but they still hold waaay to much to risk a serious USD devaluation.
And I really don't know why people keep using the word "Russia" as if it has any economic significance! Russia's GDP was less that Italy last time I looked!
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 01:02:49 PM

Somebody running away from risk, somewhere. It could be anything, probably some kind of trade you don't even know exist.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: