Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:49:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bit-thereum  (Read 4756 times)
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 04:37:05 PM

If OP_ADD is allowed, the bulky 8-of-11 multisig is not necessary and some block space is saved

Can you explain this?  How does OP_ADD simplify the security requirements?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jl2012
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1092

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 04:58:29 PM

If OP_ADD is allowed, the bulky 8-of-11 multisig is not necessary and some block space is saved

Oh, even OP_ADD is not needed.

Public key of Alice is pub-a; pub1-pub7 are public keys of 7 oracles.

For 4 of 7 oracles, the script could be:

Code:
pub-a OP_CHECKSIGVERIFY OP_4 pub1 pub2 pub3 pub4 pub5 pub6 pub7 OP_7 OP_CHECKMULTISIG

or equivalently,

Code:
OP_4 pub1 pub2 pub3 pub4 pub5 pub6 pub7 OP_7 OP_CHECKMULTISIGVERIFY pub-a OP_CHECKSIG

(actually the paper mentioned this: "Transaction of 1+(m of n) signatures would be non-standard")

Donation address: 374iXxS4BuqFHsEwwxUuH3nvJ69Y7Hqur3 (Bitcoin ONLY)
LRDGENPLYrcTRssGoZrsCT1hngaH3BVkM4 (LTC)
PGP: D3CC 1772 8600 5BB8 FF67 3294 C524 2A1A B393 6517
jgarzik
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 07:22:51 PM

Yes, the WoT is a common solution.  In order to scale well, WoT usually requires one or several centralizing entities that act as large signature hubs.

And even so, you still need a useful rendezvous mechanism.

LOL, a common solution?

in what exactly?

-bm

Commonly proposed as a solution, to be specific.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
PodBayDoors

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 07:52:11 PM

The goal of ethereum is to replace the Internet (DNS, email, facebook, ...). It's not even remotely comparable to the goals of Bitcoin. I very much doubt that Bitcoin can move in this direction, for many reasons. I mean, for example the accounting system is a mess and is going to be removed. If not even something which is in the core can be fixed, how could one take one such large goals? The last 16 bips of 39 bips are in draft mode. The last feature update of Bitcoin is now 20 months ago.

Anyone taking this seriously? Seems to me that innovation in the protocol is stalled. Anyone asking why? Is it the protocol architecture? Is it the core dev team (size, resources, politics)? I would think some of the venture money coming in would be paying attention (Andreesen, R. Branson). Oh, look, Branson just put money into TransferWise...
bluemeanie1

Activity: 280
Merit: 257

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2014, 07:57:29 PM

The goal of ethereum is to replace the Internet (DNS, email, facebook, ...). It's not even remotely comparable to the goals of Bitcoin. I very much doubt that Bitcoin can move in this direction, for many reasons. I mean, for example the accounting system is a mess and is going to be removed. If not even something which is in the core can be fixed, how could one take one such large goals? The last 16 bips of 39 bips are in draft mode. The last feature update of Bitcoin is now 20 months ago.

Anyone taking this seriously? Seems to me that innovation in the protocol is stalled. Anyone asking why? Is it the protocol architecture? Is it the core dev team (size, resources, politics)? I would think some of the venture money coming in would be paying attention (Andreesen, R. Branson). Oh, look, Branson just put money into TransferWise...

when these big names announce they are 'putting in' to some venture it's never clear how much money is actually being spent.  For instance not very long ago Andressen backed Ning, and was really excited about improving PHP... what happened to that?

Ethereum is not consistent in their claims.  I think much of it is just overly ambitious vaporware that was initially designed to sell these Ether credits.

there was this thread earlier:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=431513.msg6509979#msg6509979

I think the idea of having special nodes validating the txs on behalf of most of the nodes breaks very basic operating standards of cryptocurrencies.  Don't we like Cryptocurrencies because there is no central server?  Now we want to make a central server and we pronounce it a 'fix'?

-bm

Just who IS bluemeanie?    On NXTautoDAC and a Million Stolen NXT

feel like your voice isn't being heard? PM me.   |   stole 1M NXT?
gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2014, 08:12:52 PM

I think the IBM cards are basically dead, at this point. TC is now all about Intel TXT (sort of crappy) or SGX (not here yet but seems to have a much better design).
Nope, still sold and supported— and there was a new version (third generation) released last year. (I also have a second generation card to screw around with…)
edmundedgar

Activity: 352
Merit: 250

https://www.realitykeys.com

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2014, 01:20:03 AM

Oh, even OP_ADD is not needed.

Public key of Alice is pub-a; pub1-pub7 are public keys of 7 oracles.

For 4 of 7 oracles, the script could be:

Code:
pub-a OP_CHECKSIGVERIFY OP_4 pub1 pub2 pub3 pub4 pub5 pub6 pub7 OP_7 OP_CHECKMULTISIG

or equivalently,

Code:
OP_4 pub1 pub2 pub3 pub4 pub5 pub6 pub7 OP_7 OP_CHECKMULTISIGVERIFY pub-a OP_CHECKSIG

(actually the paper mentioned this: "Transaction of 1+(m of n) signatures would be non-standard")

It would be really great if we could get the standard rules opened up a bit for this kind of thing (just in P2SH would be fine), assuming they're not going to be completely re-thought any time soon.

The other pattern that comes up a lot here is where you want to specify multiple sets of conditions, then point to one or the other with a flag in your sigscript, eg:
Code:
OP_IF
 <some perfectly innocuous, already-standard m of n or whatever>
OP_ELSE
 <some other perfectly innocuous, already-standard m of n or whatever>
OP_ENDIF
jl2012
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1092

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 04:21:32 AM

I think the IBM cards are basically dead, at this point. TC is now all about Intel TXT (sort of crappy) or SGX (not here yet but seems to have a much better design).
Nope, still sold and supported— and there was a new version (third generation) released last year. (I also have a second generation card to screw around with…)

How much for such card? Is there any real service (bitcoin or not bitcoin related) on the web using these cards?

Donation address: 374iXxS4BuqFHsEwwxUuH3nvJ69Y7Hqur3 (Bitcoin ONLY)
LRDGENPLYrcTRssGoZrsCT1hngaH3BVkM4 (LTC)
PGP: D3CC 1772 8600 5BB8 FF67 3294 C524 2A1A B393 6517
Mike Hearn
Legendary
expert

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1128

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 09:07:17 AM

Do you still need to sign a support contract with IBM to get the SDK?
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 05:19:41 PM

How much for such card? Is there any real service (bitcoin or not bitcoin related) on the web using these cards?

HSMs are very expensive, as in enterprise equipment expensive.   They run from a couple thousand to tens of thousands depending on what capabilities you want.  They also usually require multiyear service agreements on top of that.  IBM is just one vendor there is also Thales, and SafeNet.  One thing I would point out is that the code, drivers, and hardware is all closed source.  If a 3 letter agency put in some backdoor you would never know.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 05:26:43 PM

"Those who don't understand Open-Transactions are condemned to reinvent it, poorly."
benjyz

Activity: 140
Merit: 102

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 03:06:03 PM

"Those who don't understand Open-Transactions are condemned to reinvent it, poorly."

yeah right. these lines of code is all you need to know about the project.. document strings in source code. one could not make this up.

https://github.com/Open-Transactions/Open-Transactions/blob/master/src/ots/OTServer.cpp#L1611
bluemeanie1

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2014, 06:57:24 PM

yeah right. these lines of code is all you need to know about the project.. document strings in source code. one could not make this up.

https://github.com/Open-Transactions/Open-Transactions/blob/master/src/ots/OTServer.cpp#L1611

there were at one time quotes from the Bible in "Open Transactions" source code.

-bm

benjyz

Activity: 140
Merit: 102

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 07:30:27 PM

there were at one time quotes from the Bible in "Open Transactions" source code.

-bm

well, I've read I don't know how many million lines of code in my life, but I've never seen something quite like it. If you're going to rely on this software for financial transactions, well... good luck? Just because somebody puts together 50kLOC does not mean anything. It could be producing random cooking recipes. the same applies to ethereum. just because someone has an idea and codes together software, doesn't mean it actually does what it is claimed. the space of all possible software is pretty large (2^X). patching together random features to make a cryptocurrency is not going to lead to the desired result.

Code:
 if (NULL != m_pUserID)
        delete m_pUserID;
    m_pUserID         = NULL;
bluemeanie1

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2014, 07:32:32 PM

-bm

well, I've read I don't know how many million lines of code in my life, but I've never seen something quite like it. If you're going to rely on this software for financial transactions, well... good luck? Just because somebody puts together 50kLOC does not mean anything. It could be producing random cooking recipes. the same applies to ethereum. just because someone has an idea and code together software, doesn't mean it actually does what it is claimed. the space of all possible software is pretty large.

Code:
 if (NULL != m_pUserID)
        delete m_pUserID;
    m_pUserID         = NULL;

ya think?

commonly referred to as vaporware or shamware.

-bm

gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2014, 12:26:05 AM

OT has been talking about interesting things in connection with Bitcoin since at least mid 2011 (my personal recollection) but in all this time has still not, as far as I know, produced even the simplest tool to do anything useful with it and Bitcoin.

I wish them the best of luck, but to the extent that the promotion without delivery is distracting people from actually creating stuff that people can use it's not a good thing.
bluemeanie1

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2014, 12:27:23 AM

OT has been talking about interesting things in connection with Bitcoin since at least mid 2011 (my personal recollection) but in all this time has still not, as far as I know, produced even the simplest tool to do anything useful with it.

I wish them the best of luck, but to the extent that the promotion without delivery is distracting people from actually creating stuff that people can use it's not a good thing.

perhaps the Chief Technology Officer returned to his former profession?  http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1fbeqt/i_just_realized_chris_odom_at_the_bitcoin_2013/

-bm

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 01:02:22 AM

OT has been talking about interesting things in connection with Bitcoin since at least mid 2011 (my personal recollection) but in all this time has still not, as far as I know, produced even the simplest tool to do anything useful with it and Bitcoin.

It does seem to be the case that building things that work in the real world, not jus in laboratory conditions,  takes time.
Gavin Andresen
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2014, 03:46:20 PM

It does seem to be the case that building things that work in the real world, not jus in laboratory conditions,  takes time.

Yes. I think most people believe that successful technology companies spring up very quickly, but in my experience most (all?) of the "overnight successes" were busy working for years before finding the winning combination of features, user interface, market, etc.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: