Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:58:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New Technobit project HEX4RB - 4 chip RockerBox ASic based board  (Read 7552 times)
Daengineer

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 08:57:29 PM

+1
I was using Solidworks since 2001 and it is a great tool .
Anyway do have in mind that in real life , cooling is always different.

Solidworks stays pretty up to date in latest Thermal Dynamics. The biggest thing to over come is your fans because not every fan you buy has the same parameters. I think though if you did a liquid cooling system analyst would be extremely easy and operating cost slashed although hardware cost would go up but that is the trade off.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinRuinedMyLife

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 12:56:12 AM

Your post regarding an air cooler dissipating 350watt is nonsense. Dual 120mm radiators with decent fans of 1500-1800rpm would dissipate up to 300w. I am not sure where you're pulling your magical unicorn numbers from. Feel free to post a air cooler that can dissipate 350watts, make sure it doesn't have 5000rpm fans attached to it.

I just need to quote this to show you don't know what you're talking about and you're not worth arguing with.

Get off your high horse. Hard to argue something you can't prove.

You took the time to write horse manure instead of list a name of a product, so the only waste of time here is you. Dodge more when someone questions your opinion because you can't provide facts to prove it.

You are claiming a "high end" air cooler can dissipate 350watts of heat. Do you have a name for one? Sorry you don't. The high end air coolers you mention cost the same as closed loop coolers. The closed loop coolers dissipate more watts of heat than the air coolers. When it comes to surface area, air and water, ambient temperature water flowing through a radiator with fans blowing through the radiator fins will dissipate more than the same surface area of heatsink with just air blowing on the fins.

Again, feel free to prove yourself, because it would of took less words to type the model of this "high end air cooler". You could have saved everyone the time and just listed the name of this unicorn air cooler.

250W TDP at 26dB  (huge, using 2 120mm fans) http://www.bequiet.com/en/cpucooler/482
350W TDP http://www.techpowerup.com/141811/zalman-announces-cnps11x-extreme-cpu-cooler.html

IMO the only fan/heatsink coolers that can handle such wattage are massive monstrosities that almost certainly cannot be shipped mounted or they will snap the PCB/mounts, and would require a big open case to offer the airflow. Closed-loop liquid cooling seems like the obvious winner

No point, the dogie guy will dodge this scenario as he insulted me while being delusional and pretending that I was incompetent for pointing out his failure.

Don't forget those are manufactured specs. An example is gigabytes windforce cooler which they claim can dissipate up to 600watts.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=706302.msg8868719#msg8868719

He mentioned high end air cooler or basic 120mm watercooler. I pointed out a dual 120mm closed loop cooler could do up to 300w but would love to see his unicorn air cooler.. Somehow he thinks quoting me as If I can't read and chose to not post this unicorn cooler and insult me instead, of course because we all know typing 3 words is easier than 30 Smiley
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 04:16:57 PM

250W TDP at 26dB  (huge, using 2 120mm fans) http://www.bequiet.com/en/cpucooler/482
350W TDP http://www.techpowerup.com/141811/zalman-announces-cnps11x-extreme-cpu-cooler.html

IMO the only fan/heatsink coolers that can handle such wattage are massive monstrosities that almost certainly cannot be shipped mounted or they will snap the PCB/mounts, and would require a big open case to offer the airflow. Closed-loop liquid cooling seems like the obvious winner

No point, the dogie guy will dodge this scenario as he insulted me while being delusional and pretending that I was incompetent for pointing out his failure.

Don't forget those are manufactured specs. An example is gigabytes windforce cooler which they claim can dissipate up to 600watts.

He mentioned high end air cooler or basic 120mm watercooler. I pointed out a dual 120mm closed loop cooler could do up to 300w but would love to see his unicorn air cooler.. Somehow he thinks quoting me as If I can't read and chose to not post this unicorn cooler and insult me instead, of course because we all know typing 3 words is easier than 30 Smiley

I don't think dogie is totally wrong, you *can* find air cooling that handles 350W but as I showed above its often large, top-heavy monstrosities that cost as much as a liquid-cooling solution. That windforce one you mentioned is for GPU so doesnt make much sense in this regard.

IMO, dogie is 90% right - cluster the chips and place mounting holes for common CPU heatsinks. Let the buyer go and get a decent liquid-cooling system from thier local market and most of those can easily take 300-400W TDP for a fair price and small footprint. Additionally, they can be salvaged and used on other equipment in 12 months from now when the HEX4RB is no longer profitable. (or if the HEX4RB underclocks to ~200W TDP in 6mos from now it can be swapped for a more tame air cooler)

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 07:41:51 PM

Coolers don't have a single parameter that defines how much power they can dissipate. I could dissipate 1000W from a stock Intel CPU cooler with a little airflow, depending on parameters. Most mining ASICs are designed to run pretty hot and acoustics are much less important than they are in a desktop computer. I can't speak from experience with the RB chips in particular, but with a flip chip package it's absolutely possible to dissipate 300W of heat using a relatively inexpensive air cooler like the Hyper 212 Evo and a high flow fan. I'd agree about using water cooling though; it does make things easier and isn't much more expensive in low volumes if you keep your eyes open. I just bought six H80i's from Newegg for CDN$284 (about US$255), and you can dissipate 550-600W at the chip (~800W at the wall) if using a high flow fan while keeping die temps at or under 100C.
BitcoinRuinedMyLife

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 01:51:30 AM
Last edit: October 02, 2014, 02:01:58 AM by BitcoinRuinedMyLife

I don't think dogie is totally wrong, you *can* find air cooling that handles 350W but as I showed above its often large, top-heavy monstrosities that cost as much as a liquid-cooling solution. That windforce one you mentioned is for GPU so doesnt make much sense in this regard.

IMO, dogie is 90% right - cluster the chips and place mounting holes for common CPU heatsinks. Let the buyer go and get a decent liquid-cooling system from thier local market and most of those can easily take 300-400W TDP for a fair price and small footprint. Additionally, they can be salvaged and used on other equipment in 12 months from now when the HEX4RB is no longer profitable. (or if the HEX4RB underclocks to ~200W TDP in 6mos from now it can be swapped for a more tame air cooler)

I mentioned a GPU cooler to point out the principle that because a manufacturer lists a spec. Just like when you read the CFM and static pressure of fans.

Coolers don't have a single parameter that defines how much power they can dissipate. I could dissipate 1000W from a stock Intel CPU cooler with a little airflow, depending on parameters. Most mining ASICs are designed to run pretty hot and acoustics are much less important than they are in a desktop computer. I can't speak from experience with the RB chips in particular, but with a flip chip package it's absolutely possible to dissipate 300W of heat using a relatively inexpensive air cooler like the Hyper 212 Evo and a high flow fan. I'd agree about using water cooling though; it does make things easier and isn't much more expensive in low volumes if you keep your eyes open. I just bought six H80i's from Newegg for CDN$284 (about US$255), and you can dissipate 550-600W at the chip (~800W at the wall) if using a high flow fan while keeping die temps at or under 100C.

The parameters that define how much a heat a cooler can dissipate are the ambient room temperatures, amount of surface area on heatsink, the metals used, the type of contact of these metals, and the ability to move air through that cooler to dissipate the heat. There is a reason two coolers with the same surface area and different amount of heatpipes can perform different than each other.
Also, those numbers you pulled can easily be thrown away by searching for proper reviews done on the internet by credited and reputable people such as http://martinsliquidlab.org/

MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 02:44:53 AM

The parameters that define how much a heat a cooler can dissipate are the ambient room temperatures, amount of surface area on heatsink, the metals used, the type of contact of these metals, and the ability to move air through that cooler to dissipate the heat. There is a reason two coolers with the same surface area and different amount of heatpipes can perform different than each other.
Also, those numbers you pulled can easily be thrown away by searching for proper reviews done on the internet by credited and reputable people such as http://martinsliquidlab.org/
They not number I pulled, they're numbers I've personally tested on equipment I own.
For instance, this is a stock Hyper 212 Evo keeping a Habanero under 90C while dissipating ~180W through the chip.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=519943.msg6714539#msg6714539
Using a 200+CFM server fan, I've pushed over 350W at the wall (closer to 300W at the chip) with the same cooler.
I have some Habaneros pushing 600W into the chip running a single H80i with a 240CFM fan.
BitcoinRuinedMyLife

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 03:47:31 AM
Last edit: October 02, 2014, 04:00:45 AM by BitcoinRuinedMyLife

They not number I pulled, they're numbers I've personally tested on equipment I own.
For instance, this is a stock Hyper 212 Evo keeping a Habanero under 90C while dissipating ~180W through the chip.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=519943.msg6714539#msg6714539
Using a 200+CFM server fan, I've pushed over 350W at the wall (closer to 300W at the chip) with the same cooler.
I have some Habaneros pushing 600W into the chip running a single H80i with a 240CFM fan.

This is what I mentioned in previous posts.
A stock high end cooler and the same high end cooler with 5000rpm fans are not the same things.

Also, as an example a cooler has one heatpipe with 8 fins on it, regardless of a 100CFM or 1000CFM fan there is only so much heat that can be dissipated. Now for a well designed cooler than can take advantage of how it's actual design, you can obviously get more cooling potential out of it.

I'm sure you can agree on this as you are reiterating the points I previously made Smiley
ZBC3

Activity: 361
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 09:25:48 AM

Martin,

What's the estimated sale date of these boards?
technobitVesi

Activity: 65

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 10:08:26 AM

Martin,

Hi,
I'm Vesi from technobit.
Martin is not able to answer you here for some time. So I'll try:
The first pre-production run of about 10 boards will be ready hopefully next week.
We are going to test it for a week or so .
So these will be put in sales next week with shipment date withing 2 weeks.
Right after that there will be first full production batch for sale

This is all the info I have
Best Vesi
ZBC3

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 01:50:06 PM

Hello Vesi,

Thank you for the info. Not bad for trying, ha.

Sorry to hear Martin won't be in forums for a while.

Could you do me one more favor please,

What's the power draw to GH/s comparison between the 3 box solutions?

Hex4rb (?)

4Hex16e (600 GH/s)

2Hex4RM (800 GH/s)
Davefox

Activity: 25

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 04:33:00 PM

watching this thread with alot of interest i need some miners and have 5.5btc burning a hole in my wallet.
ZiG

Activity: 406

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 09:12:38 PM

Martin,

Hi,
I'm Vesi from technobit.
Martin is not able to answer you here for some time. So I'll try:
The first pre-production run of about 10 boards will be ready hopefully next week.
We are going to test it for a week or so .
So these will be put in sales next week with shipment date withing 2 weeks.
Right after that there will be first full production batch for sale

This is all the info I have
Best Vesi

Zdrasti Vesi...

Welcome HOME... Grin

ZiG
technobitVesi

Activity: 65

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 06:18:31 AM

HI,
Well thank you ZiG for the kind words.
as they say "дoбpe зaвapили "

Vesi
ZBC3

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 03:20:06 PM

What settings should we be using for the Rockerbox in the tplink?

I've got my Rockerbox running, but am only getting about 350 GH/s.  I am using all of the default settings in cgminer. 

loshia
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 19, 2014, 05:34:12 AM

What settings should we be using for the Rockerbox in the tplink?

I've got my Rockerbox running, but am only getting about 350 GH/s.  I am using all of the default settings in cgminer. 

x4RB Chip Count  - 4

Hex4RB Chip Frequency - 800

Hex4RB Chip Core Voltage - 740
Hex4RB pic work roll - 63

Hex4RB Enable or Disable - 255
Hex4RB ASIC difficulty - 16

Please help the Led Boy aka Bicknellski to make us a nice Christmas led tree and pay WASP membership fee here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=643999.msg7191563#msg7191563
And remember Bicknellski is not collecting money from community;D
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: