Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 11:01:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Sitting on the toilet with a laptop and an idea  (Read 6180 times)
the joint (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
February 20, 2012, 11:41:23 PM

Two words:  Bitcoin Lasertag.

Imagine it.  Whether playing as an individual or as part of a team, the whole premise is exactly the same as regular laser tag, but with much higher stakes. 

Shooting someone with your laser would initiate a Bitcoin transfer from the tagged to the tagger or the tagger's team (depending on whether it's a solo or team game). 

For example:
.1 BTC for shots in the stomach or back
.3 BTC for shots on the shoulders
.5 BTC for a barrel shot

How fucking cool would this be?  Obviously there'd need to be some regulations to make sure people can't tag others before or after the game starts.  But, I would totally own all of you   Grin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 20, 2012, 11:58:35 PM

Two words:  Bitcoin Lasertag.

Imagine it.  Whether playing as an individual or as part of a team, the whole premise is exactly the same as regular laser tag, but with much higher stakes.  

Shooting someone with your laser would initiate a Bitcoin transfer from the tagged to the tagger or the tagger's team (depending on whether it's a solo or team game).  

For example:
.1 BTC for shots in the stomach or back
.3 BTC for shots on the shoulders
.5 BTC for a barrel shot

How fucking cool would this be?  Obviously there'd need to be some regulations to make sure people can't tag others before or after the game starts.  But, I would totally own all of you   Grin

TMI on where you developed the idea dude. I hope you wash your hands before you touch your gun.

I would definitely be up for a game and I know I wouldn’t borrow your laptop to transfer coins.  Grin

The thread title was meant to allude to the profundity of my idea.

Edit:  I backup my wallet on the john, too.
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2012, 11:59:56 PM

Woot, you never know when the best great idea comes into bitcoin  Cheesy

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2012, 12:02:18 AM

Woot, you never know when the best great idea comes into bitcoin  Cheesy

Did you send the Spanish Police a complaint about Bitcoinica on the toilet as well?

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
terrytibbs

Activity: 560
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 12:06:15 AM

Did you send the Spanish Police a complaint about Bitcoinica on the toilet as well?
Still butthurt, are you, Charlie?
chrisrico

Activity: 496
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 12:11:03 AM

I disagree with his actions too, but is it beneficial to bring this up in wholly unrelated threads?
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2012, 12:20:03 AM

Guess where I was sitting the whole time I penned this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=64692.0

The idea was conceived a couple days earlier on the same seat. Guess where I am as I type this post. Now, only if Bill Zucker hadn't stole my TP, I would be in good shape.

~Bruno~ (not Bruno Waterfield)
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2012, 12:57:10 AM

nope, I left that one "float" around  Smiley

@OP how would you interface with bitcoin ?

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2012, 01:11:05 AM

This? http://www.rifttag.com/rift-laser-tag-software
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2012, 01:30:34 AM

LOL touche, you've won this time hahah

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2012, 01:31:43 AM

nicee, so rift could learn json-rpc somehow and talk directly to the bitcoin daemon or you escrow the coins before the game starts. That way you make all the coin movements internally and keep the interfacing with bitcoind to a minimum.

evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 02:06:06 AM

Seriously, wouldn’t this idea be gambling and require special regulation or are you thinking about a group of friends with modified vests?

No such modification needed. The vests hook up to scoretracking software, so you'd just make a plugin to that software to payout btc based on the score at the end of the game.

But if we did this, only nerds would play laser tag.... oh wait.
payb.tc

Activity: 812

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 03:07:07 AM

I prefer to call it the “reading room.”

i work from home a lot so have a dedicated room set up as an office, so your 'reading room' is what's known in my house as 'the small office' to distinguish it from the main one.

i like the OP's idea by the way... i've never got into laser tag because there's not enough feedback for me... meaning i much prefer the sting of a paintball than the 'oh gosh darn you tagged me with a beam of light'.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 03:17:10 AM
Last edit: February 21, 2012, 03:27:18 AM by the joint

This is awesome.  

Edit:  Actually, come to think of it, wouldn't places like laser-tag arenas and Chuck E' Cheeses be the perfect place for a Bitcoin business?

Imagine if you walked into a Chuck E' Cheese-like venue and all the games required tokens to play (including laser tag).  What kind of tokens?  Bitcoins!  This would be a perfect place for a Bitcoin card -- just swipe it at all the games to play and the game automatically subtracts the Bitcoins from the card.  The kids can still win lousy tickets  Grin

Business venture, anyone?
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 03:56:03 AM

Yep, I'm in. I'm going to approach Chuck E' Cheese with the idea tomorrow. I’ll tell them I want to use an unregulated currency that has inferred ties to the SR drug trade as money for children to play with at their arcades. I’ll also have them visit this forum to learn about the currency. LOL
Maybe Chucky Busters needs some competition.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 04:34:34 AM

This is awesome.  

Edit:  Actually, come to think of it, wouldn't places like laser-tag arenas and Chuck E' Cheeses be the perfect place for a Bitcoin business?

Imagine if you walked into a Chuck E' Cheese-like venue and all the games required tokens to play (including laser tag).  What kind of tokens?  Bitcoins!  This would be a perfect place for a Bitcoin card -- just swipe it at all the games to play and the game automatically subtracts the Bitcoins from the card.  The kids can still win lousy tickets  Grin

Business venture, anyone?

Yep, I'm in. I'm going to approach Chuck E' Cheese with the idea tomorrow. I’ll tell them I want to use an unregulated currency that has inferred ties to the SR drug trade as money for children to play with at their arcades. I’ll also have them visit this forum to learn about the currency. LOL

I mean I'd make my own.
istar

Activity: 523
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 10:44:50 AM

I prefer to call it the “reading room.”

Seriously, wouldn’t this idea be gambling and require special regulation or are you thinking about a group of friends with modified vests?

No, its skillgame.

Bitcoins - Because we should not pay to use our money
bitcoinBull
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

rippleFanatic

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 10:46:50 AM

This is an awesome idea.

If I could get the equipment cheap enough, I'd purchase a set and start organizing some parties.

I couldn't find any prices on rifttag.com, so they're probably too expensive.  Plus its not clear that their software would allow for the customization needed to play for bitcoin.

I'd look for cheaper lasertag equipment.  It'd be cool to see the btc transactions broadcasted at every laser hit.

This could be a great arduino project.  If someone with the skill had the time and interest to crowdfund the project, I'd be willing to pledge 20BTC or so towards the effort.

EDIT:  I've always been interested in paintball, but a paintball party is quite expensive (cost of paint adds up).  I bet the geekery of lasertag plus bitcoin would get plenty of players at something like a comic-con and it would be a lot more fun than an FPS LAN party.  Of course, the organizer could exchange bitcoin for the players on-the-spot.

College of Bucking Bulls Knowledge
chsados

Activity: 662
Merit: 545

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 01:25:38 PM
Last edit: February 21, 2012, 01:38:30 PM by chsados

This is an awesome idea.

If I could get the equipment cheap enough, I'd purchase a set and start organizing some parties.

I couldn't find any prices on rifttag.com, so they're probably too expensive.  Plus its not clear that their software would allow for the customization needed to play for bitcoin.

I'd look for cheaper lasertag equipment.  It'd be cool to see the btc transactions broadcasted at every laser hit.

This could be a great arduino project.  If someone with the skill had the time and interest to crowdfund the project, I'd be willing to pledge 20BTC or so towards the effort.

I freaking love this idea!  I mean seriously, lets get this goin... who would like to collaborate and setup a decent proposal for kickstarter or something?  catch me on skype: chsados

i dont think it would really require any intense modding of existing software.  all it would really require is a simple conversion of points to bitcoins at the end of each round.  or at the end of the day players just convert their total accumulated points into btc.

i used to play counter strike a lot and there were ways to gamble on how you felt you would do each round.  

you could even make the game more realistic by using your points/bitcoins to upgrade your guns/armor/weapon etc  at the beginning of each round

this could be so fun!
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2012, 01:55:06 PM

I really really like this idea! Sadly, I don't expect anything like that to exist for at least a few years, since you would need both Laser Tag places, and a large mass of local nerds, to know about Bitcoin, and it's still too unknown at this point (still early adopter stage Grin)
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: