Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 09:25:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Sitting on the toilet with a laptop and an idea  (Read 6180 times)
stcupp

Activity: 209
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 07:52:31 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYW6C44zo24

That is all.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
the joint (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 07:53:33 PM

I thought arcade tokens by law could have no cash value. Does anyone know if that’s true?

Yes, as far as I know.  And those tokens have a manufacturing cost.  That was why I considered the Chuck 'E Cheese idea plausible.  It seems that using Bitcoins instead of tokens could be more profitable in the long run because of the costs associated with tokens. The difference between money and Bitcoins is not as great.  At least it might mitigate the cost of having to upgrade an entire venue to be Bitcoin interactive.

I see. It might be safer though if you could only spend the BTC in house because you'd have a reasonable argument in court.

Yep, I agree.  That could potentially make room for a lot of extra profit if there was a rule such as, "All pre-loaded Bitcoin cards must be returned upon exiting the building.  You agree to forfeit all unspent balances on the card upon exiting the building."

Yep, that would be a perfect CYA and in fact you hope they DO leave with the cards.

See my edit above.

Flawless!

Sarcasm, or do you really think that's a reasonable solution?
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 07:55:25 PM

OP, it seems you're simply talking about opening an arcade/family fun center that merely utilizes Bitcoin as an internal storage medium. It's honestly more trouble than it's worth and it would be the least of your troubles imo. The more this thread goes on, the more it is starting to look like logansryche's theatre where all he needs to run it is popcorn and an oven!

EDIT: Coin/credit systems exist http://www.coinopexpress.com/products/parts/smart_card_system.html and you want to drag the blockchain into it? -_-;

Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2012, 07:56:34 PM

If the set up involves just buying tokens to use at the place, it would be much simpler just to use your own centralized digital tokens of your own server, that you exchange for Bitcoin or fiat. The Bitcoin idea would mainly be useful if people came in and wanted to set up their own wages, paying their own choice of entry fees. That way the laser tag place can claim they have nothing to do with any gambling or whatever. They just provide the guns and the software.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 07:57:15 PM

OP, it seems you're simply talking about opening an arcade/family fun center that merely utilizes Bitcoin as an internal storage medium. It's honestly more trouble than it's worth and it would be the least of your troubles imo. The more this thread goes on, the more it is starting to look like logansryche's theatre.

I'm really more focused on the laser-tag thing.  I agree the arcade/family fun center seems to be more trouble than it's worth.

I'm thinking more 16+, 18+, or 21+ crowd.

Edit:  To me, the two hooks are 1) a gambling laser-tag model that isn't legally seen as gambling and 2) the ability to use Bitcoins/winnings to purchase better shit than a stuffed animal.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2012, 08:01:31 PM

54M hits, and I bet that big A-A women didn't even monetize it, thus still living on welfare. But, it would create a new catch phrase: You couldn't laser tag a big A-A woman sitting on a toilet.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 08:02:44 PM

OP, it seems you're simply talking about opening an arcade/family fun center that merely utilizes Bitcoin as an internal storage medium. It's honestly more trouble than it's worth and it would be the least of your troubles imo. The more this thread goes on, the more it is starting to look like logansryche's theatre.

I'm really more focused on the laser-tag thing.  I agree the arcade/family fun center seems to be more trouble than it's worth.

That's just it though, I don't see (as a 12 year old brained 27 year old) any interest in doing things just because of Bitcoin more than once, and I don't seen any benefits to using bitcoin to patrons at this point in Bitcoin, but I do see the simplicity that bitcoin can bring to internal and external accounting (as can OTS!) but that stops at the POS for the time being.

The laser tag is also a wild idea in itself and might be better if merged with interactive online experiences. Not a computer game, but a real life controllable game (webcam robot arms anyone?)

Read my post about the paintball tanks that are controlled through wifi and have their own sensors and webcams and even screens on all sides to show the player's mugshot at different angles to simulate them driving, then go look at these photos and you'll see that things can be cool AND accessible when the internet is involved and not just a brick and mortar establishment.

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?24983-RC-tank-paintball

http://hackedgadgets.com/2009/01/04/m1a2-abrams-rc-battle-tank/

the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 08:13:02 PM

That's just it though, I don't see (as a 12 year old brained 27 year old) any interest in doing things just because of Bitcoin more than once, and I don't seen any benefits to using bitcoin to patrons at this point in Bitcoin, but I do see the simplicity that bitcoin can bring to internal and external accounting (as can OTS!) but that stops at the POS for the time being.

The laser tag is also a wild idea in itself and might be better if merged with interactive online experiences. Not a computer game, but a real life controllable game (webcam robot arms anyone?)

Read my post about the paintball tanks that are controlled through wifi and have their own sensors and webcams and even screens on all sides to show the player's mugshot at different angles to simulate them driving, then go look at these photos and you'll see that things can be cool AND accessible when the internet is involved and not just a brick and mortar establishment.

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?24983-RC-tank-paintball

http://hackedgadgets.com/2009/01/04/m1a2-abrams-rc-battle-tank/

I think you're misunderstanding my point.  This wouldn't be advertised with Bitcoin as a selling point.  The selling point is a gambling-based laser-tag model which, to my knowledge, doesn't exist yet.  The other selling point is the ability to purchase valuable items with the winnings.

You're right, I don't know many people who, on a Friday night, suddenly decide to say to their friends, "Hey!  Let's go play laser-tag at this new place, I hear they're using...Bitcoins?"  But, I know dozens of people that would say, "Hey!  Let's go play laser-tag and try to win some money!  If we lose, so what?  Everyone pays for laser-tag anyway and they don't get anything in return."

It's simply a model that would add an extra incentive to play laser-tag.  If you win a laser-tag game these days, you get a lousy scorecard that says you won.  Well, now you can brag about the new 1 oz. silver American Eagle that you won playing laser-tag.  And, if you come in 4th place and barely miss out on the winnings, at least it was still fun, and at least you can still go grab a drink at the bar and have a pizza with your friends.  Thus, emphasis IS on the brick-and-mortar establishment, and not on Bitcoin.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 08:17:15 PM

Thus, emphasis IS on the brick-and-mortar establishment, and not on Bitcoin.

Oh. Then why is this in bitcoin discussion? Pff.. lol

That said, count me in for a game.

I'd recommend demoing it at the next convention, or making it slowly and debuting it at our DCAO sponsored expo.

weex
Legendary

Activity: 1102
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 08:18:36 PM

All I know is we need kids gambling more. Kids today are way too conservative with their finances.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2012, 08:20:05 PM

On the other hand, converting lasts to Bitcoin is just a software change, while paintball tanks is a rather expensive capital investment. Puts the Bitcoin laser tag can be advertised as a secretive underground gambling thing, despite it not actually being that, really.

Oh, also, if the score is tracked in actual Bitcoin, your final payout could be a permanent blockchain record of your ass kickery. Add the ability for people to provide their own public address, and you have global score tracking
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 08:48:46 PM

Thus, emphasis IS on the brick-and-mortar establishment, and not on Bitcoin.

Oh. Then why is this in bitcoin discussion? Pff.. lol

That said, count me in for a game.

I'd recommend demoing it at the next convention, or making it slowly and debuting it at our DCAO sponsored expo.

Because one successful brick-and-mortar establishment like this could improve the sales of many other Bitcoin businesses, especially if everybody converts their BTC winnings into prizes they purchase at the online kiosk.

Won 20 BTC playing laser-tag?  Admire some new silver while drinking some Bit-Brew coffee.  Local places like this that utilize Bitcoin could have huge impacts on the Bitcoin economy if they were linked together.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2012, 08:57:45 PM

I think you're misunderstanding my point.  This wouldn't be advertised with Bitcoin as a selling point.  The selling point is a gambling-based laser-tag model which, to my knowledge, doesn't exist yet.  The other selling point is the ability to purchase valuable items with the winnings.

You're right, I don't know many people who, on a Friday night, suddenly decide to say to their friends, "Hey!  Let's go play laser-tag at this new place, I hear they're using...Bitcoins?"  But, I know dozens of people that would say, "Hey!  Let's go play laser-tag and try to win some money!  If we lose, so what?  Everyone pays for laser-tag anyway and they don't get anything in return."

It's simply a model that would add an extra incentive to play laser-tag.  If you win a laser-tag game these days, you get a lousy scorecard that says you won.  Well, now you can brag about the new 1 oz. silver American Eagle that you won playing laser-tag.  And, if you come in 4th place and barely miss out on the winnings, at least it was still fun, and at least you can still go grab a drink at the bar and have a pizza with your friends.  Thus, emphasis IS on the brick-and-mortar establishment, and not on Bitcoin.

Well, now you can brag about the new 1 oz. silver American Eagle that you won playing laser-tag.

Casascius Bitcoins comes to mind.

And, if you come in 4th place and barely miss out on the winnings, at least it was still fun,...

Not necessarily. The last place finisher(s) would win a bitcent, where someday it'll be more valuable than what first place received. Everybody wins!
stcupp

Activity: 209
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 10:27:53 PM

It wouldn't really be a "gambling-based laser-tag" more like skill based
whoever has the most skill wins
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 10:30:24 PM

Casascius Bitcoins comes to mind.

LOL. Yea, let's rip one of those off and scan in the code each time we want to "insert coin".

the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 22, 2012, 03:16:15 AM

It wouldn't really be a "gambling-based laser-tag" more like skill based
whoever has the most skill wins

I stand corrected.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: