Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 01:22:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is buying bitcoin really this complicated?  (Read 2261 times)
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
April 18, 2012, 11:20:23 AM

first problem :-( line 3 - what's this? OMG and its required! I cannot skip this step :-( screenshot below ;-/
Enter "none" -- problem solved. It appears to only be relevant if you intend to deposit/withdraw from within Second Life.

h/t to whoever mentioned that a day or so ago.
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BTC-tester

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 18, 2012, 04:38:37 PM

it seems so... you cannot just buy BTC for USD/PayPal that way ... because you need to create an extra account: Second Life :-/

So registering with "none" doesn't solve a problem :-( cuz still cannot buy it

typical problem, you need to create and extra account somewhere (okpay, dwolla, aurumxxchange, cryptoxchange, bitinstant, +trip to the bank to make cash despite) only to be able to buy BTC - it is better not to buy them at all LOL - that's what I call recommendation  Cheesy
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
April 18, 2012, 04:44:03 PM

it is better not to buy them at all LOL - that's what I call recommendation  Cheesy

Ok don't.  Problem solved.

MrTeal (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 18, 2012, 08:58:11 PM

I suppose I should repost here since this thread got raised from the dead. I was able to purchase coins with no issues, just went down to the bank and did a deposit to Virtex's account, then bought the coins there. Easy as pie.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Merit: 1015

View Profile
April 18, 2012, 11:21:59 PM

it seems so... you cannot just buy BTC for USD/PayPal that way ... because you need to create an extra account: Second Life :-/

So registering with "none" doesn't solve a problem :-( cuz still cannot buy it

typical problem, you need to create and extra account somewhere (okpay, dwolla, aurumxxchange, cryptoxchange, bitinstant, +trip to the bank to make cash despite) only to be able to buy BTC - it is better not to buy them at all LOL - that's what I call recommendation  Cheesy
No... You deposit USD (either with credit/debit card or Paypal, which can link right to your bank and do it instantly once verified), buy SLL on Virwox, then convert to BTC.
Dan The Man

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 18, 2012, 11:37:54 PM

cavirtex site looks like written 100 years ago, but it's not spooky :-) deposit funds looks also fair enough - screenshot:

it seems it also can be done online without a "trip to a bank" (but let someone confirm / or deny that)

CAD ----> online transfer ----> Cavirtex ----> BTC

Cavirtex site sucks because it locks in your dollars when you make an offer and you have to guess what the transaction fees will be. Get it wrong by any decimal amount and your account can't cover it, the offer gets cancelled and you have to guess again. This means you are always left with some pennies in your account. Their minimum processing time is actually their maximum processing time plus three days. I've never had a deposit take less than one week (5 business days). But relative to other options it's the easiest.
Nyaaan

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2012, 10:18:14 AM

Bank account -> trusted wire/Liberty Reserve exchange site -> Liberty Reserve -> Mt. Gox -> Bitcoin

Problem solved
rubicon

Activity: 2

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 03:16:14 PM

I don't see Dwolla posted here. Is it any good?
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 06:37:16 PM

I don't see Dwolla posted here. Is it any good?

Sure, but you'll have to jump through hoops to prove your identity to be able to deal with any bitcoin businesses.  At the very least, they'll need your SSN and you'll have to wait 30 days after you first transfer money to Dwolla:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=76866.msg858870#msg858870

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 06:47:55 PM

I dont mean to be a jerk or anything, But i HAVE NOT read this thread aside from the first three posts.

All i have to say is that the "quick and fast" way is to use the Bitcoin OTC.
I turn my bitcoins into Cash in my bank in 40minutes. Eveeerrrryyyy time

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
wogaut
Donator

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 06:57:41 PM

I dont mean to be a jerk or anything, But i HAVE NOT read this thread aside from the first three posts.

All i have to say is that the "quick and fast" way is to use the Bitcoin OTC.
I turn my bitcoins into Cash in my bank in 40minutes. Eveeerrrryyyy time

Well, if you are new to bitcoin-otc and look for a guide howto use it, you get linked to the Wiki site, and that's longer than the terms&conditions you sign on most web pages (I wonder how many people actually read those), so it's absolutely not user friendly (but maybe that's part of their strategy).

BTC-tester

Activity: 6

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 07:05:42 PM

Yes, you can use dwolla to deposit funds on exchanges i.e. Mt gox, Intersango and probably others. But you need to create this DWOLLA account anyway

it looks like the simplest way is online wire ----> exchange ----> BTC without any additional accounts, this is possible in Europe

for USD it isn't as simple, one extra step, and account is required (and sometimes these requirements are really weird, proving your identity to 3rd parties - and there is a chance that your personal data will leak from 3rd parties some day, during hackers attack) :-(

via SecondLife -- VirWox ---> ...
via LibertyReserve ---> ...
via DWOLLA ---> ...
via Bitinstant ---> CryptoXChange ...

chose the weapon  Grin

I hope I didn't miss anything - if something is wrong, correct me

what about others? CAD AUD ... South America ... ? and maybe something more for USD ... ?
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: