Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 04:38:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Would you be willing to buy shares in this ?  (Read 1308 times)
Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2012, 01:42:52 AM

I have bitcoin TLD names which are bitcoin.me and bitcoin.com.au

With some development and seo they have the potential to be massively valuable but at the current time they are worth about $15 000 each (valued on other similar domains-see bitcoins.com which I know sold for 15 -20 000  ). I can also throw in 2 or 3 other domains I own as goodwill.

Here is the idea- I will issue shares on GLBSE to the value of $12 000 each in these two domains  and I will sign them over to whoever the shareholders vote as the board of directors, which means an instant book profit for the company and assets backing the shares. I am doing this for a few reasons - I hope the shareholders develop something that is awesome there and I would be happy not squatting on them as they are currently going to waste. I believe this would be a first also for bitcoin and a demonstration that not everything on GLBSE has to be a mining company.

I intend to use some of the money to develop another site and reduce the number of pokers I have in the fire Smiley

I also own bitcoind.com/net/org and possibly I would place them in to the company as well in return for shares (to be decided). I would like a stake but not a controlling interest just because I want to be part of it.

Tell me what you think about this and if theres enough support for the idea.

The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Wat

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2012, 01:48:13 AM

On a side note bitcoin could do with a site like http://pledgie.com/ to make it easier to gauge interest in projects without anyone actually risking bitcoins till enough has been pledged.

Or bitcoin.me could be that site....

nebulus

Activity: 490

... it only gets better...

View Profile
February 22, 2012, 01:51:15 AM

I'd buy some shares...

Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Wat

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2012, 02:22:20 AM

I'd buy some shares...

Thats what I like to see Smiley

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2012, 05:54:19 AM

I expect those names to be worth a good amount in the future. Maybe $100k+ when Bitcoin is way big, but that might be like 100BTC only. This wouldn't be a problem if I had dollars to invest, but I only have coins. So I should only do this if I think the Amount of bitcoins the names will be worth is going to go up, and... that doesn't seem clear at all.

~350BTC? Does it seem reasonable to get that for it in a few years?

Suppose a bitcoin is worth $4.50 in two years, what do you think the domain will be worth? Really hard for me to tell since I think $4.50/BTC in two years is the least likely scenario ever.

Another thing to consider, and it makes this a clear no to me instead of a slight no, is the future of domain names in general. If there is an IP crackdown it could spur a new system pretty fast. It's a technical problem really and a good solution might be found at any time with the right motivation.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Wat

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2012, 06:56:04 AM

I expect those names to be worth a good amount in the future. Maybe $100k+ when Bitcoin is way big, but that might be like 100BTC only. This wouldn't be a problem if I had dollars to invest, but I only have coins. So I should only do this if I think the Amount of bitcoins the names will be worth is going to go up, and... that doesn't seem clear at all.

~350BTC? Does it seem reasonable to get that for it in a few years?

Suppose a bitcoin is worth $4.50 in two years, what do you think the domain will be worth? Really hard for me to tell since I think $4.50/BTC in two years is the least likely scenario ever.

Another thing to consider, and it makes this a clear no to me instead of a slight no, is the future of domain names in general. If there is an IP crackdown it could spur a new system pretty fast. It's a technical problem really and a good solution might be found at any time with the right motivation.

Think about what they would be worth if a successful bitcoin business was developed using them by the shareholders. Thats the main aim here not to just squat on them in the hopes they will go up in value. Im currently selling these for US dollars whereas doing it this way supports bitcoin.

Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Wat

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2012, 09:07:52 AM

http://bitcoinery.tumblr.com/post/7116989673/bitcoin-domains-are-all-taken

I just found that post...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: