Bitcoin Forum
June 02, 2024, 07:54:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Hypothetical Bitcoin Questions for YMB **Episode Released!** NOW DISCUSS!!  (Read 5005 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
tim-tams (OP)

Activity: 479
Merit: 252

You, Me, and BTC: *Your* Liberty & Bitcoin Podcast

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2014, 03:08:34 AM

Hypothetical: What would happen if the bitcoin network was hacked and then restored by a fork?  How would that affect us in 2014?  How much value would be lost in the network? 

This is off the top of my head, you can alter/refine it anyway you like.

Definitely interesting. The whole idea of a hard fork always bothers me a little. The fact that enough people can really change how Bitcoin works has some bad connotations in my head.

Thanks!

Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 08:08:29 PM

Hypothetical: What would happen if the bitcoin network was hacked and then restored by a fork?  How would that affect us in 2014?  How much value would be lost in the network? 

This is off the top of my head, you can alter/refine it anyway you like.

Definitely interesting. The whole idea of a hard fork always bothers me a little. The fact that enough people can really change how Bitcoin works has some bad connotations in my head.

Thanks!

It's almost surprising that there haven't been competing groups attempting to 'take over' bitcoin so to speak. I'm sure we'll see some sort of conflict like that in the future. Lots of good questions can be discussed surrounding that topic.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 08:22:11 PM

Ok, here's one. What if a country, any country no matter how small, actually started using Bitcoin as it's national currency?

Would the blockchain implode into a black hole from the massive amount of additional transactions?

Would that country buy massive mining farms from BFL to secure its new currency?

Would BFL make the country preorder the equipment and finally deliver it after the countries government is overthrown making the order useless?

Would the country organize a 51% attack on the blockchain to overthrow all of the worlds governments at once?

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsiebitcoin?

Will the San Francisco Giants go all the way next year?

JohnFromWIT

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 09:14:55 PM

What if USD/EUR/GBP/whatever required consensus agreement before being considered as spent or traded.

blatchcorn

Activity: 952
Merit: 281

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 09:30:52 PM

If a bitcoin falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Who would make the best and worst bitcoin CEO?
tim-tams (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2014, 12:06:07 PM

Ok, here's one. What if a country, any country no matter how small, actually started using Bitcoin as it's national currency?

Would the blockchain implode into a black hole from the massive amount of additional transactions?

Would that country buy massive mining farms from BFL to secure its new currency?

Would BFL make the country preorder the equipment and finally deliver it after the countries government is overthrown making the order useless?

Would the country organize a 51% attack on the blockchain to overthrow all of the worlds governments at once?

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsiebitcoin?

Will the San Francisco Giants go all the way next year?

Great list! We'll probably hit some of those.

tim-tams (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2014, 01:15:41 PM

What if USD/EUR/GBP/whatever required consensus agreement before being considered as spent or traded.

That's an interesting thought. So the only difference from cryptocurrency would be that it's issued by a government (and perhaps they could still print more whenever they wanted?), but the consensus mechanism would still be in place. Probably worth discussing. Thanks!

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4242
Merit: 4505

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 01:31:39 PM

what if enough bitcoin was gathered to bribe all dictionary companies to remove the words 'what' and 'if' and then a campaign started to get people to use the phrase "to solve this" instead

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
johnstuart

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2014, 03:29:24 PM

What if the bitcoin network became sentient and began using humans as currency?
tim-tams (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2014, 12:13:05 AM

Just wanted to let everyone know that this episode has now been recorded and we'll be releasing it this Thursday. Tune in to see if your question made the cut!

tim-tams (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2014, 02:21:00 AM

Update 6/12: This episode has been released!! Please tune in to see if your question was mentioned and then come back here to discuss what we talked about! Thanks to everyone who contributed!

JohnFromWIT

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 11:16:04 AM

"Is bombing a bunch of people and making a few million, possibly billion, really worth getting people mad at you?"
Hehe, not quite the light hearted discussion I was expecting.
Still, well done.

tim-tams (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2014, 01:32:19 PM

"Is bombing a bunch of people and making a few million, possibly billion, really worth getting people mad at you?"
Hehe, not quite the light hearted discussion I was expecting.
Still, well done.

Haha thanks!

I think maybe the reason we were a little more serious about that one was because there really are some senseless people out there who would think about trying that...

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 07:01:09 PM

Great show - very funny. I don't think I would lick a Dogecoin either. I don't mind eating a little hair in the pursuit of some hobbies but that's not the hair I would eat. lol

Would the country organize a 51% attack on the blockchain to overthrow all of the worlds governments at once? I misstated this question but you figured it out in the end. You're right, I meant BFL delivers so slowly that the world has already adopted Bitcoin so the original country has to attack the network to get their government coin back.

Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2014, 07:39:46 PM

No more wars for profit, I'd guess.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
tim-tams (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2014, 01:08:51 PM

Great show - very funny. I don't think I would lick a Dogecoin either. I don't mind eating a little hair in the pursuit of some hobbies but that's not the hair I would eat. lol

Would the country organize a 51% attack on the blockchain to overthrow all of the worlds governments at once? I misstated this question but you figured it out in the end. You're right, I meant BFL delivers so slowly that the world has already adopted Bitcoin so the original country has to attack the network to get their government coin back.

Glad we could get that question understood! Might be an apocalypse though by the time BFL's rig showed up.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2014, 02:06:24 PM

I'm getting a dead link. Is there a YouTube version of this show?

Thanks, bud.
blatchcorn

Activity: 952
Merit: 281

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 02:10:57 PM

I'm getting a dead link. Is there a YouTube version of this show?

Thanks, bud.
Yup whole site is down for me
tim-tams (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2014, 04:09:43 PM

Hmm, I hope nothing is wrong with my server. It's working for me now, but if the site is still down for you all, please let me know.

Here is a direct download link too, for anyone who wants to grab the show.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: