Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 08:38:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you like to block the FBI coins from being sold until there is a fair and public trial?  (Voting closed: June 27, 2014, 12:42:11 AM)
Yes, block the coins! - 41 (22.4%)
No, let the FBI have them! - 128 (69.9%)
Not sure. - 14 (7.7%)
Total Voters: 183

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MINERS UNITE! Block the FBI coins. Do not fund violent underground organizations  (Read 10019 times)
WarriorOfTheLight (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 12:42:11 AM

Miners, now it is your turn.

A US-tax-funded violent underground organization is about to sell Bitcoins which got robbed from a innovative San Francisco startup, a marketplace which was creating a better because more peaceful world! A marketplace which put users, transparency, safety and quality first and not outdated laws and bureaucracy. A marketplace which enriched our private private lives and helped us having a better time together in love and peace. A marketplace which was ultimately against violence, guns, corruption, distrust and obfuscation.

Silk Road Reduced Violence in the Drug Trade, Study Argues - http://www.wired.com/2014/06/silk-road-study/

America's war on drugs is lost. We all know it! It is time to stop it before it does further harm to the people of this world.

Let's face it. Most likely only two people have the power to block the silkroad coins (https://blockchain.info/address/1FfmbHfnpaZjKFvyi1okTjJJusN455paPH) from being sold. They are the operators of the biggest pools: Ghash.io and BTCguild. Together they have more than 51% of the networks hashing power. If they do not want to (because they might be already saturated) all we need to do is to convince the majority of the miners to join other pools which do following...

HOWTO :: Technically speaking the ming pool operators need to (1) block all new transactions which are descendants of the silkroad coins which were located once on 1FfmbHfnpaZjKFvyi1okTjJJusN455paPH and (2) do not accept new blocks which contain such transactions as part of the longest chain (which you mine on).

The Bitcoin protocol remains unchanged and allows by definition such interventions. It is time to use them for the benefit of our society. And it will be a race. Let the longest chain win!

MINERS UNITE! It is finally time to stop violent tax-funded underground organizations like the FBI from exploiting the people who they were once supposed to protect! Do not let people who stay totally in dark take away more of your wealth for themselves and projects which will further limit your freedom! Join mining pools which block the silkroad coins until the legitimate owner gets access to them back or at least a fair and public trial happened!

@ Developers :: Build patches for mining pools which follow the HOWTO. Build also patches for the wallets which consider transactions invalid which originated from the FBI address or at least warn users after having received such transactions. Make it easy for people to express their opinion on this topic through software!

The blockchain is not neutral.

It would not exist without hard working people.

People who love freedom and honest behavior.

Good people.

It is time for your vote.

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Cicero2.0

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

★☆★Bitin.io★☆★

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 12:54:49 AM

this idea seems like it would set a dangerous precedent. If people decide to start blocking coins doesn't that defeat the purpose of bitcoin?

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 12:55:49 AM

False flag trolling.
beatljuice

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 12:57:24 AM

While I agree with you that the Silk Road is a good thing I don't think blocking those coins will do anything for anyone. The FBI will get the money they need to continue their crap whether they get it from selling bitcoins or from the money printers.

Plus, singling out coins and designating them "bad" is a very unsavory president to set. What happens when the coins someone want to mark isn't such a bad thing? Let's keep freedom free and be a good example, not play their game of attempted control.
WarriorOfTheLight (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 12:58:16 AM

this idea seems like it would set a dangerous precedent. If people decide to start blocking coins doesn't that defeat the purpose of bitcoin?
Therefore you need to define your purpose of Bitcoin. My purpose is probably not your purpose.
mustyoshi

Activity: 287
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 01:00:55 AM

The blockchain is neutral. It is up to payment accepters to filter out Bitcoins.
beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 01:09:48 AM

man, if they two largest pools banded together to do that, bitcoin would go crashing. people would fear these 2 miners.
WarriorOfTheLight (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 01:18:14 AM

The FBI will get the money they need to continue their crap whether they get it from selling bitcoins or from the money printers.
Selling Bitcoins means also lower price for your Bitcoins! The money printers will not last for ever. Let's start early.

Plus, singling out coins and designating them "bad" is a very unsavory president to set. What happens when the coins someone want to mark isn't such a bad thing? Let's keep freedom free and be a good example, not play their game of attempted control.
We have influence. It is your choice what freedom is. Freedom from freedom? Freedom from violence? Do not trust algorithms blind. Otherwise you will end up in the matrix.
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2014, 01:19:08 AM

I don't want to block the coins, I want to watch the US government make the terrible mistake of trading precious BTC for worthless fiat this early in the fiat->crypto transition, so we can all later laugh at them for their folly.

I want the clever folks who buy these coins to make out like bandits at the FBI's expense. This will be a "stupid government" joke for the rest of history.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
o3u

Activity: 393

Money comes, money goes

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 01:25:54 AM

I think your idea is ridiculous.

Maybe some others are interested in a group buy of these coins? (testing water)

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=650301.0
mustyoshi

Activity: 287

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 01:26:02 AM

I don't want to block the coins, I want to watch the US government make the terrible mistake of trading precious BTC for worthless fiat this early in the fiat->crypto transition, so we can all later laugh at them for their folly.

I want the clever folks who buy these coins to make out like bandits at the FBI's expense. This will be a "stupid government" joke for the rest of history.

Sometimes 50$ today is worth more than 500$ in a year.
WarriorOfTheLight (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 01:28:30 AM

Good one. I prefer to make fun of the "government" for thinking that they own the silkroad coins.

The blockchain is neutral. It is up to payment accepters to filter out Bitcoins.
This is not anymore possible after the coins circulate again. Now is the time.

How boring. This has already been discussed (at length, multiple times) and it hasn't happened. Get some fresh ideas.

Nothing is as powerful as an idea whose time has come”, Sir Victor Hugo 1852

The organization you speak of has those coins because the operator of the marketplace was unable to protect themselves even though fantastic tools were (are) available.

How about starting a campaign to teach people to protect themselves instead.
You should start this campaign which I will support. It is your idea. People make mistakes. This is their nature.

grifferz

Activity: 154

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 01:30:45 AM

Selling Bitcoins means also lower price for your Bitcoins! The money printers will not last for ever. Let's start early.
Mining pools collaborating to censor transactions will send the price of bitcoin to zero, which is a lot lower than any price the US gov is going to achieve.

Mining pools attempting to censor transactions without near-universal support will spell the end for those mining pools, while everyone else carries on.

At best I'm going to have to assume that you're misguided and failing to think this through. We don't need to change your mind or convince you to stop because the overwhelmingly likely outcome of any attempt to do this is failure. At this point this thread is just noise, like many before it that have sought to ban a certain class of transactions for idealogical reasons.
Greenleed

Activity: 41

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 01:31:32 AM

We are the hardworking miners and believers in bitcoin who supports this ecosystem and now the FBI wants to benefit it by selling our property at current relative high price?!
darkota

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 01:37:18 AM

Isnt it impossible to "block" coins. What kind of bullshit is that.

If it is possible(which would be pretty damn stupid), then do not block the fbi coins....would look pretty stupid for bitcoin overall if that ever happened.
WarriorOfTheLight (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 01:43:04 AM

Mining pools collaborating to censor transactions will send the price of bitcoin to zero, which is a lot lower than any price the US gov is going to achieve.

Mining pools attempting to censor transactions without near-universal support will spell the end for those mining pools, while everyone else carries on.

At best I'm going to have to assume that you're misguided and failing to think this through. We don't need to change your mind or convince you to stop because the overwhelmingly likely outcome of any attempt to do this is failure. At this point this thread is just noise, like many before it that have sought to ban a certain class of transactions for idealogical reasons.

Miners chose Mining Pools. Mining Pools already prefer transactions based on their included fee among other things. The majority always carries on.

Start differentiating, offer real choice! No blind obedience. Do especially not pray to the blockchain hoping that this will solve every problem magically!

If the majority of the miners decide to block (and not censor) transactions it is their decision.

This is not only a ideological reason. It is a very practical too. Here we can show that we have power. Power which is not anymore under control of the "government".
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2014, 01:43:55 AM

If it is possible(which would be pretty damn stupid), then do not block the fbi coins....would look pretty stupid for bitcoin overall if that ever happened.

It is possible for the coins to be blocked.  Just like it is possible for the FBI to give them to Seans Outpost.  It COULD happen.  It just won't.  Those two pools will not do that as they will see the value of Bitcoin plummet and have everyone left and right asking them to block more coins.  

beatljuice

Activity: 196

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 01:45:31 AM
Last edit: June 13, 2014, 01:56:25 AM by beatljuice

Therefore you need to define your purpose of Bitcoin. My purpose is probably not your purpose.

Exactly! Your purpose isn't my purpose. So I'm not going to tell you how to use yours, and hope you don't try to legislate how I use mine.

Freedom isn't freedom if it's restricted. The only freedom that might should be restricted is the freedom to do harm to others. I agree that the FBI does harm to others, but in this situation (specifically selling seized bitcoin) they are not doing harm to anyone.

EDIT: I expounded on my argument.
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2014, 01:52:25 AM

It is possible for the coins to be blocked.  Just like it is possible for the FBI to give them to Seans Outpost.  It COULD happen.  It just won't.  
QFT and all that needs to be said, really.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
WarriorOfTheLight (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 02:15:27 AM

It is possible for the coins to be blocked.  Just like it is possible for the FBI to give them to Seans Outpost.  It COULD happen.  It just won't.  
QFT and all that needs to be said, really.
Don't be so sure. Eventually it will happen. And first signs are already there. Prioritizing transactions gets done. De-prioritizing (to zero) will come.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: