Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 08:50:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you like to block the FBI coins from being sold until there is a fair and public trial?  (Voting closed: June 27, 2014, 12:42:11 AM)
Yes, block the coins! - 41 (22.4%)
No, let the FBI have them! - 128 (69.9%)
Not sure. - 14 (7.7%)
Total Voters: 183

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MINERS UNITE! Block the FBI coins. Do not fund violent underground organizations  (Read 10019 times)
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 12:16:15 AM

OP is a troll or an idiot or has a very specific agenda. Ignore mode on.

EDIT: BTW:
MINERS UNITE!

Let's do even better:
AVENGERS ASSEMBLE!

The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
counter

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 12:29:04 AM

Even though I do admit I'd like to see this happen, heh.  I'd say it not a good idea for so many reasons.  I think the biggest one that comes to mind for me right now would be that I believe it goes against the basic principles of BTC in general.  Breaking the rules would make the community look like hypocrites also in my opinion.

We have to chalk this one up to a loss but I'd guess it's just a matter of opinion at this point in time.
takeshishimmura

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 01:47:37 AM

I want the clever folks who buy these coins to make out like bandits at the FBI's expense.  Grin
Honeypot

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 03:01:11 AM

LOL

sad thing is people actually believe this shit.
unexecuted

Activity: 175
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 07:36:11 AM

Sure, if enough miners used your changes it could be done
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2014, 09:08:13 AM
Last edit: June 15, 2014, 09:18:53 AM by Beliathon

I don't want to block the coins, I want to watch the US government make the terrible mistake of trading precious BTC for worthless fiat this early in the fiat->crypto transition, so we can all later laugh at them for their folly.

I want the clever folks who buy these coins to make out like bandits at the FBI's expense. This will be a "stupid government" joke for the rest of history.

I wonder which one of these:

Top Ten Economic Mistakes of History

will be replaced with:

In 2014, the former government of the USA sold almost 3 trillion satoshis for less value than a single ton of gold. By the year 2100, their value exceeded the value of all mined gold in the entire planet.

Sidenote: In the year 2100, the fiat currency earned from the sale of those bitcoins wouldn't even buy a pizza!
You nailed it. And I'd say this will all be true LONG before 2100. Perhaps as early as 2030.

I'd also say the disastrous modern war on drugs will have earned a place on that moronic policy list, for the people of the future, although I suppose that's more a legal blunder than an economic one.

It's a shame that beheading of terrible lawmakers has gone out of style. It would be so cathartic for repressed Americans. Perhaps when our house of cards economy implodes that will change, there's always hope.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 10:00:31 AM

that's enough reason for me to end the war on drugs
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1130

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2014, 11:40:49 AM

I'm  not sure how blocking the FBI coins would affect the price, but I guess it would have a positive effect on the price as long as there is no reason to believe the majority of the users will go berserk and block a lot of addresses for minor reasons or even pure greed.
Great post if you are being sarcastic. 

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1001

All cryptos are FIAT digital currency. Do not use.

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2014, 12:16:16 PM

MINERS UNITE!

Let's do even better:
AVENGERS ASSEMBLE!

Please enlighten us as to why you believe they should be allowed to get away with this.

WTC 1993 was an FBI job --> http://youtu.be/_2vpcABWJiY

Nurbal

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 12:22:00 PM

If only ONE transaction is ever blocked for any non-technical reason, such what you propose here, confidence in the neutrality of the blockchain will be instantly ruined and a gigantic panic-sell will follow, driving the BTC price to zero.

Period.

"Je ne partage pas vos idées mais je me battrai jusqu'à la mort pour que vous puissiez les exprimer"
"I don't agree with your ideas but I would fight to death so that you can express them" - Voltaire
BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2014, 12:28:07 PM

Please enlighten us as to why you believe they should be allowed to get away with this.

Assuming you are 100% correct and the FBI is the source of all evil please enlighten us as to how detroying Bitcoin in any way hurts the evil FBI empire.

If only ONE transaction is ever blocked for any non-technical reason, such what you propose here, confidence in the neutrality of the blockchain will be instantly ruined and a gigantic panic-sell will follow, driving the BTC price to zero.

Period.

"Je ne partage pas vos idées mais je me battrai jusqu'à la mort pour que vous puissiez les exprimer"
"I don't agree with your ideas but I would fight to death so that you can express them" - Voltaire
Well said.  As I have stated before several times the proposal destroys Bitcoin and does not hurt them even a tiny little bit.  The GOV ends up with the cash for the sale, the people buying the BTC from them end up with nothing, and Bitcoin is destroyed for nothing.

On top of that the proposal is all hot air anyway because the proposal and others like it will never happen.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
BruceFenton

Activity: 404

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2014, 01:36:39 PM

Sad that more than 17% of people don't understand that the whole point of Bitcoin is that it is fungible and DOES NOT GET BLOCKED.

This is a terrible precedent.

jc01480

Activity: 854

Nope..

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 02:50:56 PM

Create a decentralized currency, they said.
Prevent ANY price manipulation they said.
Result: let's try to manipulate it?
WTF are you guys advocating here?
BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2014, 02:52:42 PM

Bitcoin suicide in order to "stick it to the man"(TM)

In other words total supidity.

jc01480

Activity: 854

Nope..

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 03:12:07 PM

Bitcoin suicide in order to "stick it to the man"(TM)

In other words total supidity.

Agreed.  What will likely happen with the proceeds of this sale:

A special unit, section, bureau, or organization will be funded in the government (yes, I said the G-word) to help prevent fraud, theft, ML, etc. in the crypto-currency world.  What this means is that there will potentially be an official entity specializing in investigating the bad guys that screw others out of their BTC.  They will HELP those of you that lost big.

Some of our community believes the proceeds will be used to buy more black suburbans or helicopters to follow us around.  Drones to keep tabs on us.  Anything that weakens our privacy one more notch.  You have to get over this nonsense.  The ratio of law enforcement to population is probably 1000:1 if you included every single police official out there.  And about half or more of those don't investigate anything at all.  They're administrative people or housekeepers if you will.  In that realm there are a hell of a lot more bad guys than there are able-bodied people to work them.  So prioritization takes place on the bad guy that is the most significant threat.  Today's buzzwords in this community are terrorists of all types (foreign, Eco, hate groups, etc.).  So this idea of the crypto community being harassed to the point of killing it is utter and complete radicalism.  Save that crap for the corporate bodies, who just happen to be members of our community.  Yes, those are the ones you should be worried about.  The very people that will try to, say, fork the freaking blockchain to benefit their business agenda.

If you successfully fork this thing, I'll do everything in my power to advocate against a "decentralized" crypto.  You will have undone everything Satoshi Nakamoto intended.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 03:35:27 PM

Create a decentralized currency, they said.
Prevent ANY price manipulation they said.
Result: let's try to manipulate it?
http://21stcenturywire.com/2014/02/25/snowden-training-guide-for-gchq-nsa-agents-infiltrating-and-disrupting-alternative-media-online/
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 04:01:16 PM

MINERS UNITE!

Let's do even better:
AVENGERS ASSEMBLE!

I will just for once assume that you are asking seriously.

Because making any bitcoins worse than other would destroy fungibility of Bitcoin, could possibly create endless chain of dependencies which could then pollute "clean" Bitcoins and, most importantly, would require a hard fork therefore ultimately and completely obliterating the whole idea of Bitcoin.

Making any coins worse than other because of somebody's stupid desires is a no-go and I (and most of early adopters) would leave Bitcoin the minute somebody tries something like this.

Was that clear enough for you?

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2014, 04:05:41 PM

I voted not sure, but the fact that the FBI is willingly auctioning them off means they silently acknowledged one thing, Bitcoin has value, I don't think that cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin should be controlled by anyone no matter the political reasons, otherwise it's no better than the dollar. The problem is like with free speech restricting the free flow of a currency means that it will lead to other blockings and so on, how do we know that we're doing the right thing, if we truly believe in free trade then we should stick to it, no matter who is making the transactions.

Frankly, I'm more amazed that people haven't done this in rage against Mark Karpeles, I'm a bit baffled that someone is doing this to stick up for a known drug dealer instead.
Harley997

Activity: 266

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 04:13:29 PM

Sad that more than 17% of people don't understand that the whole point of Bitcoin is that it is fungible and DOES NOT GET BLOCKED.

This is a terrible precedent.

This would be a horrible idea.

First of all the FBI had put out a public notice allowing for anyone to claim ownership in the coins to do so and no one came forward.

Next, the concept of Bitcoin is that whoever controls the private key is the person who controls the subject coins. Since the FBI (I think it is actually the US Marshall service now, but this really does not matter) controls the private key to the subject BTC address, they are the ones that control the coins. To blacklist certain coins just because you think/feel they were "stolen" would create huge problems with bitcoin. Anyone could claim and present some kind of evidence that their coins were taken unjustly regardless of if the coins were stolen or not.

Third, once the coins are sold and disbursed to the buyers of the coins, the buyers will do their thing with the cons. They may keep some of them, they may use a mixing service to transfer some to another address, they may use some to buy goods/services, they may transfer some to an exchange to sell some. Assuming the transactions get confirmed then the majority (if not all) of the coins would be in the hands of someone who have nothing to do with the FBI nor had anything to do with the sale of the coins. It would be unjust to punish people just because they received coins from some unknown party (and would likely not have known prior to the transaction).

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1001

All cryptos are FIAT digital currency. Do not use.

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2014, 04:17:57 PM

Assuming you are 100% correct and the FBI is the source of all evil please enlighten us as to how detroying Bitcoin in any way hurts the evil FBI empire.

My vote would have been a most definite "no" if BTC was free to use, decentralized and anonymous. Since that is not the case, FUCK THIS SHITCOIN. Smiley  .. And it's religious/ cult like aspects.

@BruceFenton I prefer to look at it as a form of peaceful civil disobedience. Democracy FTW !

"Home" by Roger Waters ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q3sP1ZyYHw
Will you accept your second class status ?
A nation of waitresses and waiters.
Will you mix their martinis ?
Will you stand still for it ?
Or will you take to the hills ?

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: