Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 05:52:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can we all write to FBI asking not to sell bitcoins but hodl them?  (Read 3055 times)
LostDutchman

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2014, 03:53:49 AM

You know what the US gov can also do with the coins once sold? Track them for a long time. The bidder does not truly buy "clean" coins.

This could be an experiment for them to learn how successful they can be at following these sold coins.

Oh, no!

Surely the federal police of the Land of The Free And Home of The Brave would never do anything like that?

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MeadowView

Activity: 113
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 04:00:47 AM

A little literature has appeared on blockchain.info, a derivation of Francisco d'Anconia's money speech from Atlas Shrugged to be precise.

Compared to the usual drivel left in public notes, I have to say I found this quite enlightening.  Thought it's worth a share.

https://blockchain.info/address/1i7cZdoE9NcHSdAL5eGjmTJbBVqeQDwgw
BayAreaCoins
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 1242

Owner at AltQuick.com & FreeBitcoins.com

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2014, 04:58:45 AM

I just wonder what they did with

A: The bitcoins they earned from selling the Cocaine to the SR vendors.
and
B: Why they didn't announce "Supertrips" bitcoin auction similar to this way? Maybe they just sold them on bitstamp.

https://AltQuick.com/exchange/ - Trade altcoins & Bitcoin Testnet coins with real Bitcoin. Fast, private, and easy!
https://FreeBitcoins.com/faucet/ - Load your AltQuick exchange account with free Bitcoins & Testnet every 10 minutes.
ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 04:58:17 PM

I just wonder what they did with

A: The bitcoins they earned from selling the Cocaine to the SR vendors.
and
B: Why they didn't announce "Supertrips" bitcoin auction similar to this way? Maybe they just sold them on bitstamp.

a - those coins were not seized, they were voluntarily given to the FBI, so the FBI would not need to dispose of them in the same way.

b - this was likely a much smaller amount so they would not need to generate as much interest to be able to sell them.
joshraban76

Activity: 252

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 05:00:25 PM

OP, do you think that the FBI will listen to us ?

There are issues which are beyond all of us.

\   \  \ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\◥◣◢◤//////////////// /  /   /
Win88.me ❖ Fair, Trusted Online BTC Gambling ❖
/   /  / ////////////////◢◤◥◣\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \  \   \
ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 06:07:53 AM

OP, do you think that the FBI will listen to us ?

There are issues which are beyond all of us.

You would probably have a greater chance that they would not sell the coins if we told them that we wanted them to sell the coins.
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 06:31:32 AM

If you asked the FBI to HODL the coins they would ignore you.  Ask them to hold the coins and perhaps.....nah they won't.

Are we still using hodl?
Ibistru

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 12:37:01 PM

BTW the real question is... why should they hold the coins? And why I should care?  Huh
CaptainBeck

Activity: 168

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 12:44:48 PM

BTW the real question is... why should they hold the coins? And why I should care?  Huh

You should care because, erm, erm, because erm..... yeah not sure i care that they have them.

What will be nice is seeing these coins back in gen pop and being spend/traded around, at the rate BTC is dropping the FBI wont make the 17mil they hope for.
xhomerx10
Legendary

Activity: 3836
Merit: 8008

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 12:51:37 PM

yeah they too can hodl them and benefit if bitcoin goes to moon!..
no point in selling now...they too can add wealth to FBI..

maybe buy some FBI gadgets using bitcoins.

Yes they should hold them. 30,000 coins X 1,000,000 per coin in 2017 could pay down the debt by a few percent! Wink

Actually, with the national debt at 17.5 trillion dollars, those bitcoins even at 1 million dollars each would pay only 0.17% of the debt.... not even close to a few percent.   Why does the US marshals office get the proceeds from these anyway?!  If anything they should donate them to charities.

CaptainBeck

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 12:55:12 PM

Yes they should hold them. 30,000 coins X 1,000,000 per coin in 2017 could pay down the debt by a few percent! Wink

Actually, with the national debt at 17.5 trillion dollars, those bitcoins even at 1 million dollars each would pay only 0.17% of the debt.... not even close to a few percent.   Why does the US marshals office get the proceeds from these anyway?!  If anything they should donate them to charities.

To cover the cost of doing all the arrests in the first place.

But yes more money should go to charities.

I made some first BTC trades for people if they paid charities and i gave them BTC in exchange. Nothing major like $10 here and there, but more should be done from people.
xhomerx10
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 12:56:37 PM

HODLLLLLLLL!!

Is this a meme I have missed out on?  Is it something like pwned?
xhomerx10
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 12:58:51 PM

I made some first BTC trades for people if they paid charities and i gave them BTC in exchange. Nothing major like $10 here and there, but more should be done from people.

So they make money by busting as many people as possible.  Great system!  How do I get in on that action?
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2014, 12:59:23 PM

how many BTC does the FBI actually hold? So much to being private.
New location of their big stash, the coins claimed by DPR and not being auctioned off (yet):

https://blockchain.info/address/1i7cZdoE9NcHSdAL5eGjmTJbBVqeQDwgw

144,341.53249133 BTC (and growing due to small "donations" every day)

New location of the little stash, the coins that are going to be auction off:

https://blockchain.info/address/1Ez69SnzzmePmZX3WpEzMKTrcBF2gpNQ55

29,658.80070152 BTC (and growing due to small "donations" every day)

In case you are wondering the old location of the two stashes:

https://blockchain.info/address/1F1tAaz5x1HUXrCNLbtMDqcw6o5GNn4xqX
https://blockchain.info/address/1FfmbHfnpaZjKFvyi1okTjJJusN455paPH

Which are still also growing due to people sending BTC to them in order to advertise (mostly beg for BTC).

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
CaptainBeck

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 01:01:52 PM

So they make money by busting as many people as possible.  Great system!  How do I get in on that action?

Start a country and start busting people for doing things you dont want them to do. Easy...... Grin
xhomerx10
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 01:12:36 PM

Start a country and start busting people for doing things you dont want them to do. Easy...... Grin

That's a good idea.  I could make millions of inane laws to enforce as well.  This is going to be lucrative!  Anyone wanting in on my IPO, I'll be listing with Havalock next week.  First thousand buyers get to create an absurd law and become honorary deputies.  30% of the take goes back into creating a larger system whereby we raid other countries and push our laws on those unsuspecting "criminals" as well. The reminder will be paid back in dividends.  Oh and by the way unregistered securities are illegal in this system... just so you know Wink
CaptainBeck

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 01:13:41 PM

We need some land first, maybe we could take it with force from someone else because they are lesser than us.
xhomerx10
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 01:16:12 PM

We need some land first, maybe we could take it with force from someone else because they are lesser than us.

Yeah and well want it to be someplace warm with a nice view.
Bobsurplus
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

Making money since I was in the womb! @emc2whale

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 01:18:57 PM

I don't know if anyone here mentioned this but the FBI are not selling any BTC, its us US Marshalls! Huge difference if anyone here is really planning on sending an email anywhere!

Cheesy
bitgold

Activity: 353

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 01:22:29 PM

Be careful what you wish for. Why do you want them to hold bitcoin?

Decentralized crypto currency leaves no place for top down entities. It just feels odd.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: