Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:47:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 [329] 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 ... 1993 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NEM (XEM) Official Thread - 100% New Code - Easy To Use APIs  (Read 2984060 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
makoto1337
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

I am not Dorian Nakamoto.

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2014, 12:31:13 AM

Do you really want the number 4 billion?  4 means death in a lot of cultures.

It's true.
Especially in China, 4 is the worst number.
It equals to the 13th Friday in Western.

Edit/I basically agree to investment fund.
But it may have a problem of a lawsuit by stakeholders who did not receive coins in the future when NEM value is incredibly high.
Burning them erases this problem in advance.
Burning them will prevent this probable lawsuit and also result in investment fund increase in the end.(by the scarcity of NEM and high value of each NEM.)

what about 3,999,000,000?  we could just burn one stake, or maybe even burn one NEM, and have it be 3,999,999,999.  I personally would volunteer 1 of my NEM to be burnt pre-Genesis block, just to make Asians happy.  I do know that this is serious.  I once lived in a building with no 4th floor.  Really, the elevator went 1, 2, 3, 5, 6..... People take this seriously. Not exactly the mark of the beast for Christians, but many Asians really don't like 4.  

Are we considering changing the total to something other than 4 billion units?

What about 3,888,888,888?

It has three triple 8's in sequence. In the Chinese culture this would be very fortunate.

"In Chinese numerology, 888 has a different meaning, triple fortune, a strengthening of the meaning of the digit 8. For this reason, addresses
and phone numbers containing the digit sequence 888 are considered particularly lucky, and may command a premium because of it."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/888_(number)

Lucky numbers: Eight
"The number 8 is viewed as such an auspicious number that even being assigned a number with several eights is considered very lucky."

Unlucky numbers: Four
"Number 4 is considered an unlucky number in Chinese because it is nearly homophonous to the word "death". Due to that, many
numbered product lines skip the "4": e.g., Nokia cell phones (there is no series beginning with a 4), Palm PDAs, Canon PowerShot G's
series (after G3 goes G5), etc. In East Asia, some buildings do not have a 4th floor."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbers_in_Chinese_culture

The number 4 is omitted in some Chinese buildings.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d4/ShanghaiMissingFloors.jpg

China= 19% of the world's population.
http://www.worldometers.info/world-population/china-population

We would need to subtract 111,111,112 NEM (~111 stakes).

If we want to keep it closer to the original 4 billion, a couple more choices:
3,999,888,888 double triple 8's (-111,112 NEM)
3,999,999,888 single triple 8's (-112 NEM)

Or preferably just keep with the original 4,000,000,000, it's easier to remember.

Yes 3,888,888,888 is a good number and it wouldn't take much to discard to reach.  You wouldn't see that number on coinmarketcap but it's something which could be mentioned in media articles for sure.  

I'm not really sure what's happening in mainland China in regards to digital currencies.

We know elsewhere that digital currencies are becoming popular in Hong Kong and Vietnam.   NEM is something that could thrive in those two locations but also mainland China and island of Taiwan.  Eventually South Korea and Japan will get into digital currencies as well.  

Despite MtGox being located there, Bitcoin hasn't really seen much adoption or usage in Japan itself - the emerging trend in Japan is Mona coin (that was $8 million at one  point and almost entirely located within Japan) and maybe NEM could get popular over there.

Creating 8 billion NEM might be good, too. 8 is a good number and everyone's stake could just be doubled.

8 billion NEM is also good, representing 8 billion humans.

"According to the most recent United Nations estimates, the human population of the world is expected to reach 8 billion people in the spring of 2024."
http://www.worldometers.info/world-population/#milestones

In 10 years there will be 8 billion humans, that's around the same time when NEM is predicted to totally replace the worlds fiat system. Smiley

If you really care about the number of NEM, why don't you start a poll and discussion thread here: https://forum.nemcoin.com/index.php

That way people can vote and comment on the idea.

▄▄██████████████████▄▄╓
                           ▄████████████████████████████████▄
                       ▄████████████████████████████████████████▄
                    ▌███████████████████████████████████████████████╒
                 ▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄
               ▓█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
             ▓█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           ▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄
          ████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
         ███████████                                                ███████████▄
       ╒████████████                                                ▀███████████▄
       █████████████                                                ▀████████████▄
      ███████████████████████████████████      ███████████████████████████████████
     ████████████████████████████████████      ████████████████████████████████████
     ████████████████████████████████████      ████████████████████████████████████▄
    ▄███████████████╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╙       ╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧████████████████
    ████████████████                                                ▀███████████████
    ████████████████                                                ▀███████████████
    ████████████████████████████████████╝       ████████████████████████████████████
    ███████████████████████████████████          ███████████████████████████████████
    █████████████████████████████████▀            ▀█████████████████████████████████
    ▐███████████████████████████████       ▄▄       ███████████████████████████████▌
     █████████████████████████████▀       ████       ▀█████████████████████████████
     ╘███████████████████████████       ▄██████▄       ███████████████████████████▌
      ▀████████████████████████▀       ██████████       ▀█████████████████████████
       ▀██████████████████████╛      ╔████████████▄       ███████████████████████
        █████████████████████       ████████████████       ▀████████████████████
         ▀█████████████████╚      ╓██████████████████▄       █████████████████▀
           ██████████████▀       ▓█████████████████████       ▀██████████████╝
            ▀███████████╩       ████████████████████████▄       ███████████▀
              ▀████████       ▓███████████████████████████       ▀████████
                ▀████▐       ██████████████████████████████▄       ████▀
                  ╙▀       ▄█████████████████████████████████       ▀▐
                          ████████████████████████████████████▄
                         ▀████████████████████████████████████▀
                              ▀▀████████████████████████▀▀╛

Sora
| SoraTopia | SoraEconomy                                                    
/The Decentralized Autonomous Economy /
|
XOR

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dandruff1138

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

1000% ROI Masternode Coin

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2014, 12:39:47 AM

Do you really want the number 4 billion?  4 means death in a lot of cultures.

It's true.
Especially in China, 4 is the worst number.
It equals to the 13th Friday in Western.

Edit/I basically agree to investment fund.
But it may have a problem of a lawsuit by stakeholders who did not receive coins in the future when NEM value is incredibly high.
Burning them erases this problem in advance.
Burning them will prevent this probable lawsuit and also result in investment fund increase in the end.(by the scarcity of NEM and high value of each NEM.)

what about 3,999,000,000?  we could just burn one stake, or maybe even burn one NEM, and have it be 3,999,999,999.  I personally would volunteer 1 of my NEM to be burnt pre-Genesis block, just to make Asians happy.  I do know that this is serious.  I once lived in a building with no 4th floor.  Really, the elevator went 1, 2, 3, 5, 6..... People take this seriously. Not exactly the mark of the beast for Christians, but many Asians really don't like 4.  

Are we considering changing the total to something other than 4 billion units?

What about 3,888,888,888?

It has three triple 8's in sequence. In the Chinese culture this would be very fortunate.

"In Chinese numerology, 888 has a different meaning, triple fortune, a strengthening of the meaning of the digit 8. For this reason, addresses
and phone numbers containing the digit sequence 888 are considered particularly lucky, and may command a premium because of it."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/888_(number)

Lucky numbers: Eight
"The number 8 is viewed as such an auspicious number that even being assigned a number with several eights is considered very lucky."

Unlucky numbers: Four
"Number 4 is considered an unlucky number in Chinese because it is nearly homophonous to the word "death". Due to that, many
numbered product lines skip the "4": e.g., Nokia cell phones (there is no series beginning with a 4), Palm PDAs, Canon PowerShot G's
series (after G3 goes G5), etc. In East Asia, some buildings do not have a 4th floor."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbers_in_Chinese_culture

The number 4 is omitted in some Chinese buildings.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d4/ShanghaiMissingFloors.jpg

China= 19% of the world's population.
http://www.worldometers.info/world-population/china-population

We would need to subtract 111,111,112 NEM (~111 stakes).

If we want to keep it closer to the original 4 billion, a couple more choices:
3,999,888,888 double triple 8's (-111,112 NEM)
3,999,999,888 single triple 8's (-112 NEM)

Or preferably just keep with the original 4,000,000,000, it's easier to remember.

Yes 3,888,888,888 is a good number and it wouldn't take much to discard to reach.  You wouldn't see that number on coinmarketcap but it's something which could be mentioned in media articles for sure.  

I'm not really sure what's happening in mainland China in regards to digital currencies.

We know elsewhere that digital currencies are becoming popular in Hong Kong and Vietnam.   NEM is something that could thrive in those two locations but also mainland China and island of Taiwan.  Eventually South Korea and Japan will get into digital currencies as well.  

Despite MtGox being located there, Bitcoin hasn't really seen much adoption or usage in Japan itself - the emerging trend in Japan is Mona coin (that was $8 million at one  point and almost entirely located within Japan) and maybe NEM could get popular over there.

Creating 8 billion NEM might be good, too. 8 is a good number and everyone's stake could just be doubled.

8 billion NEM is also good, representing 8 billion humans.

"According to the most recent United Nations estimates, the human population of the world is expected to reach 8 billion people in the spring of 2024."
http://www.worldometers.info/world-population/#milestones

In 10 years there will be 8 billion humans, that's around the same time when NEM is predicted to totally replace the worlds fiat system. Smiley

If you really care about the number of NEM, why don't you start a poll and discussion thread here: https://forum.nemcoin.com/index.php

That way people can vote and comment on the idea.

Now we are talking about re-coding this shit because of superstition? You are kidding me? This coin is NEVER getting released...  Cheesy

▄▄██████████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████████▄▄
      ▄███████████████████████▄
    ▄████████████████████████████▄
   ████████████████████████████████
  ██████████████████████████████████
 ██████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
 ███████████████████████████████████
  █████████████████████████████████
   ██████████████████████████████
    ▀████████████████████████████▀
      ▀███████████████████████▀
         ▀██████████████████▀▀
            ▀▀██████████▀▀
(.
.@75 c Stage 2.
)
███     WHITEPAPER      SLACK      ANN THREAD     ███
████     FACEBOOK      TWITTER      TELEGRAM     ████

▬▬▬  JOIN OUR ICO    From Nov 10th, 2017  ▬▬▬
rockethead
Legendary

Activity: 1059
Merit: 1016

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2014, 03:15:41 AM

Seems like Java 8 is officially supported now which will make the installation of the nem client via webstart way more comfortable.

Thanks Oracle Smiley

Oracle? Who are you talking about? The Oracles of NEM that Java 8 will be released officially in time? Wink

Our Oracles of NEM planned it. Smiley
kattokassinen

Activity: 169
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 05:53:49 AM

Seems like Java 8 is officially supported now which will make the installation of the nem client via webstart way more comfortable.

Thanks Oracle Smiley

Oracle? Who are you talking about? The Oracles of NEM that Java 8 will be released officially in time? Wink

Our Oracles of NEM planned it. Smiley
This is great news. I used to think that the use of Java 8 was NEM's greatest weakness, but this changes everything. I pretty much assumed that not many would have bothered to install unsupported Java version for a new coin only.
TotalPanda
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1012

vertex output parameter not completely initialized

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 06:46:01 AM

Hi NEM community !

Grin
traderbit

Activity: 798

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2014, 06:55:06 AM

Beta launch is coming nearer and nearer, here is your chance to get a nemesis account in the beta nemesis block:

https://forum.nemcoin.com/index.php?topic=2526.0

what's nemesis? Huh

patmast3r

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 06:58:01 AM

Beta launch is coming nearer and nearer, here is your chance to get a nemesis account in the beta nemesis block:

what's nemesis? Huh

what's usually called genesis block i.e. the very first block of the blockchain.
for NEM it's NEMesis.

No, it doesn't make much sense but it sounds cool Cool

traderbit

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2014, 07:08:38 AM

what's nemesis? Huh

what's usually called genesis block i.e. the very first block of the blockchain.
for NEM it's NEMesis.

Thanks, I thought it was a coin sister NEM

gomei

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 07:15:35 AM

what's nemesis? Huh

for NEM it's NEMesis.

anyway cool for our community of nem,
and it is good news  for the ETA launch.

.Ambit.    ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  █████
██
████████████
   Become part of the mining family   
✔ SECURED  │ WHITEPAPER │  ★ 171% ROI
██   
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
█████  ██
██
████████████
Istanbul34

Activity: 232

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 08:31:06 AM

I hope it will stay 4B coins and not 8B.

That is too much.
Mickeyb

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 08:39:32 AM

That is too much.

Well any number can be used. As I understand, the community is concerned by the use of 4 because in the Asian countries this is considered as the unlucky number. This is not naive and should be taken into consideration very much. We want our Asian friends with us and not against us, after all this is a huge, huge market that we don't want to lose. Look what they did to BTC in the last pump, took it from $200 to $1200 in a month.

I would make it nice and round 5B coins. Just multiply everybody's stake by 1.25. Heck, we can even make it 2B, just divide everybody's stake by 2.

But please, keep in mind that "unlucky No. 4" of the Eastern cultures!!  Smiley
Scharfenberger

Activity: 186

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 08:39:40 AM

uhm...but after the official release, does NEM can be traded directly with BTC?

no one know the answer to this question? Sad

The answer is pretty obvious *YES*

Of course that the answer is YES!! After the launch, the coin will be added to the many exchanges. There you will be able to trade it to BTC..

I hope that the DEVs are already lining up some exchanges so the NEM can be added right away. This is what BTSX did with their coin upon the launch. They were added to Bter and BTC38 immediately.

We have to do the same for a successful start of NEM.
The more exchanges are aware of NEM the more people are aware of NEM and its benefits.
Finally this will increase the value of NEM and therefore NEM will attract also the sceptic people who didn't believe in NEM in the beginning.

Scharfenberger

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 08:47:39 AM

That is too much.

Well any number can be used. As I understand, the community is concerned by the use of 4 because in the Asian countries this is considered as the unlucky number. This is not naive and should be taken into consideration very much. We want our Asian friends with us and not against us, after all this is a huge, huge market that we don't want to lose. Look what they did to BTC in the last pump, took it from $200 to $1200 in a month.

I would make it nice and round 5B coins. Just multiply everybody's stake by 1.25. Heck, we can even make it 2B, just divide everybody's stake by 2.

But please, keep in mind that "unlucky No. 4" of the Eastern cultures!!  Smiley

That's right.
A good friend of mine comes from china. She really hates the number 4, 444, 478 etcetera for pronouncing reasons. The pronounciation of 4 means something equal to death.  A lot of early stakeholders and possible investors after launch come from china.

Anyway we shouldn't double the amount of NEM and stay close to the aimed 4B. E.g. 3.999.999.999.
Mickeyb

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 08:49:08 AM

That is too much.

But please, keep in mind that "unlucky No. 4" of the Eastern cultures!!  Smiley

That's right.
A good friend of mine comes from china. She really hates the number 4, 478 etcetera for pronouncing reasons. The pronounciation of 4 means something equal to death.  A lot of early stakeholders and possible investors after launch come from china.

Anyway we should stay close to our aimed 4B. E.g. 3.999.999.999.

3.999.999.999 will work as well.. I see no 4 there.. Smiley
Scharfenberger

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 08:54:38 AM

That is too much.

That's right.
A good friend of mine comes from china. She really hates the number 4, 444, 478 etcetera for pronouncing reasons. The pronounciation of 4 means something equal to death.  A lot of early stakeholders and possible investors after launch come from china.

just burn one nem after launch.. it will then say 3,999,xxbla bla on CMC. problem solved. Smiley

If the burning of one NEM is so easy to adopt we should definitively do it.  Wink
(just my opinion)
yshin365new

Activity: 289
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 09:29:00 AM

That is too much.

That's right.

just burn one nem after launch.. it will then say 3,999,xxbla bla on CMC. problem solved. Smiley
A : How many NEM coins exist?
B : The no. of NEM coins is 3,999,99.....
A : Um...roughly 4 billion coins.
B : No, No.... it's 3,999,999...
A : What's the difference? It's same to me.
B : "To die" or "Not to die"... It's not same!
A : ......Huh
vytasz7

Activity: 561

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 10:16:12 AM

if every chinese burn for 1 nem coin we could get to 3 billion and everyone is happy  Grin
nembit86

Activity: 588

NEM ....best currency distribution ever ...!!!!!!!

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 10:39:04 AM

A good point on the forum at the moment about block rewards https://forum.nemcoin.com/index.php?topic=2501.90

Jabo38 and Alkaline reckon that some portion of unclaimed stakes should be put to use rewarding ' harvesting'

I think that this could be important at least in the early stages of NEM development.

What do you think? Anyone not registered on the Forum yet, please do and leave a comment.

NDZ4YPCKVKWAIIZBB5T7T5EL67N2XWPQODGGWIYT
rockethead
Legendary

Activity: 1059
Merit: 1016

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2014, 10:51:21 AM

A good point on the forum at the moment about block rewards https://forum.nemcoin.com/index.php?topic=2501.90

Jabo38 and Alkaline reckon that some portion of unclaimed stakes should be put to use rewarding ' harvesting'

I think that this could be important at least in the early stages of NEM development.

What do you think? Anyone not registered on the Forum yet, please do and leave a comment.

The first thing that comes to mind is will block reward increase the value of NEM other than enriching the individual with a few more NEMs?

Is having 10 more NEMs that is worth, say, 0.2cts each better or having NEM that is worth 2cts. each.

I would use the NEMs to develop more applications that will enhance the value of NEM. If we leave NEM as it is, it will never fly. Real money is being poured into Bitcoin projects. Few ever wonder beyond that. If NEM is left alone, it will be like a feather coin reenacted.

What we need is a holistic offering that people cannot help but to use it.
nembit86

Activity: 588

NEM ....best currency distribution ever ...!!!!!!!

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 11:08:58 AM

The first thing that comes to mind is will block reward increase the value of NEM other than enriching the individual with a few more NEMs?

Is having 10 more NEMs that is worth, say, 0.2cts each better or having NEM that is worth 2cts. each.

I would use the NEMs to develop more applications that will enhance the value of NEM. If we leave NEM as it is, it will never fly. Real money is being poured into Bitcoin projects. Few ever wonder beyond that. If NEM is left alone, it will be like a feather coin reenacted.

What we need is a holistic offering that people cannot help but to use it.

Agreed, there needs to be incentive for harvesting and strengthening the network.

NDZ4YPCKVKWAIIZBB5T7T5EL67N2XWPQODGGWIYT
Pages: « 1 ... 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 [329] 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 ... 1993 »
  Print  

Jump to: