Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 10:36:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: GUIDE SETTING UP A SOLAR POWER SYSTEM  (Read 12873 times)
allcoinminer (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 504

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 08:22:27 AM
Last edit: October 18, 2014, 02:57:51 PM by allcoinminer

[DIY] AllCoinMiner's Power Supply Sizing Guide
[DIY] AllCoinMiner's Solar Energy Setup for Mining DIY Research going on
[DIY] AllCoinMiner's Antminer S1/S3 Blade on Raspberry Pi or on a Single ControlBoardBounty Offered

[GUIDE] Mining Profitablility Discussions

GUIDE SETTING UP A SOLAR POWER SYSTEM FOR MINING
This is a project plan to setup a complete solar powered system for running below device.
I'm looking for guidance and support from all of you to materialise it.

PSUs Available:
1x 1600W 90% Efficient PSU
1x 600W 90% Efficient PSU

Out Put Requirement:
Multiple of 12V 400Watts DCe

Existing Inverters:
1x 1500VA 24V SineWave Inverter
1x 850VA 12V SineWave Inverter

Batteries:
2x 100Ah 12V Tubular
1x 150Ah 12V Tubular

Solar Panel:
6x 250Watts/12V PV

Converter:
50A/24V

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Neotox
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

Free & Fast Neotox Escrow http://bit.ly/1OGVykp

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2014, 05:54:07 AM

better you get solar inverter then a regular inverter (su-kam solar inverter with inbuilt converter works on both solar panels and electricity)

Available
PM me to rent this space.
allcoinminer (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 05:59:57 AM

better you get solar inverter then a regular inverter (su-kam solar inverter with inbuilt converter works on both solar panels and electricity)

My inverter is solar compatible. Not sure whether it is inbuilt with controller.
allcoinminer (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 06:05:50 AM

As per my calculations running it during non solar time in battery require a large battery bank of around 15+. It should not be viable to use solar during night. So limiting it to day time. Now no of panel and its specifications matter.

200/100W * 12V or 200/100W * 24W
Lucky7Gaming

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 02:13:46 AM

I would take a 12v battery solar charge controller like http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-24V-5-10-15-20-30A-PWM-Solar-Panel-Battery-Regulator-Charge-Controller-/351004581852?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item51b980dfdc
and then hook up the panels to the input, batteries to smooth the voltage, and the miners to the output.  This would be much more efficient than making DC to AC and then back to DC and would save 30% ON EFFICIENCY and be much cheaper.  Then, during the night you could hook the output of the DC charger to something like a 12v dpdt relay, and hook up the computer PSU 12v to the relay and switch between solar and wall power when there isn't any solar power.

Earn BTC investing in Peer to Peer Loans on BTCJam.
http://tinyurl.com/lc4wmvx
allcoinminer (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 06:28:21 AM

I would take a 12v battery solar charge controller like http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-24V-5-10-15-20-30A-PWM-Solar-Panel-Battery-Regulator-Charge-Controller-/351004581852?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item51b980dfdc
and then hook up the panels to the input, batteries to smooth the voltage, and the miners to the output.  This would be much more efficient than making DC to AC and then back to DC and would save 30% ON EFFICIENCY and be much cheaper.  Then, during the night you could hook the output of the DC charger to something like a 12v dpdt relay, and hook up the computer PSU 12v to the relay and switch between solar and wall power when there isn't any solar power.

That idea is good but practically need to check the implication problems.
Do you know how the voltage will be in b/w terminals when solar is connected to battery? I think it will be varying and the input to Ants will be an issue.
What you think of it?

Also I was actually looking for how many panels and their W ratings.
silversurfer1958

Activity: 474
Merit: 111

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 11:27:04 PM

How about a diesel generator running on used Veg oil from a restaurant(s)
 http://www.dieselveg.com/generators.htm

Lucky7Gaming

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 12:42:51 PM

Do you know how the voltage will be in b/w terminals when solar is connected to battery? I think it will be varying and the input to Ants will be an issue.
What you think of it?

I believe the charge controller will let it go up to 12.5 and down to 11.5 volts and then shut off.  I have ants, and don't quote me on this, but I think the voltage regulators will be okay on the antminers.  The antminer chips are running on 1.5 volts I think.  You could also use the charge controller in 24v mode and then step it down to 12v with a step down converter and it'll be a more steady 12v.

Lucky7Gaming

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 12:45:04 PM

Depending on where you live, I would get probably 800 watts of solar panels, the rated wattage are only on the full sun. PVC pipe Wind  turbine might be better because its 24/7?  Definitely interested if anyone tries this idea  Grin   

allcoinminer (OP)

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 01:03:15 PM

What you think of it?

I believe the charge controller will let it go up to 12.5 and down to 11.5 volts and then shut off.  I have ants, and don't quote me on this, but I think the voltage regulators will be okay on the antminers.  The antminer chips are running on 1.5 volts I think.  You could also use the charge controller in 24v mode and then step it down to 12v with a step down converter and it'll be a more steady 12v.

I will experiment it when my Antminer S1 is near EOL. Or need to get an old miner for testing. Requesting if anyone having a solar miner to do the test if you are a DIY person.
allcoinminer (OP)

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 01:03:56 PM

Depending on where you live, I would get probably 800 watts of solar panels, the rated wattage are only on the full sun. PVC pipe Wind  turbine might be better because its 24/7?  Definitely interested if anyone tries this idea  Grin   

Ah!!! How much is your 800Watts panel cost in $?
R4v37

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 06:28:01 PM

and then hook up the panels to the input, batteries to smooth the voltage, and the miners to the output.  This would be much more efficient than making DC to AC and then back to DC and would save 30% ON EFFICIENCY and be much cheaper.  Then, during the night you could hook the output of the DC charger to something like a 12v dpdt relay, and hook up the computer PSU 12v to the relay and switch between solar and wall power when there isn't any solar power.

What you think of it?

I believe the charge controller will let it go up to 12.5 and down to 11.5 volts and then shut off.  I have ants, and don't quote me on this, but I think the voltage regulators will be okay on the antminers.  The antminer chips are running on 1.5 volts I think.  You could also use the charge controller in 24v mode and then step it down to 12v with a step down converter and it'll be a more steady 12v.

I will experiment it when my Antminer S1 is near EOL. Or need to get an old miner for testing. Requesting if anyone having a solar miner to do the test if you are a DIY person.

wahhhhh
i want to do this experiment too
in my country (indonesia), electricity always down once a day with duration of 2-4hours, so i had to buy inverter 1500w with auto charge + 2x100ah only to backup my S2 around 2hours, often miss another 2hours...
but nvm, got no cash T_T
allcoinminer (OP)

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 06:31:05 PM

What you think of it?

wahhhhh
i want to do this experiment too
in my country (indonesia), electricity always down once a day with duration of 2-4hours, so i had to buy inverter 1500w with auto charge + 2x100ah only to backup my S2 around 2hours, often miss another 2hours...
but nvm, got no cash T_T

Waiting for your updates.
Cranky4u

Activity: 810
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2014, 11:11:02 PM

Check the antminers for their input requirements. If they take 12VDC +/- 2 VDC, then scrap the  DC>AC>DC arrangement and hook them straight up to a battery. I do this with my Jally.

Solar panel (200W) + wind turbine (200W) > hybrid combiner/controller > batt (nominal 12VDC) > Jally + R-box

Input the same as above > batt (nominal 12VDC) > UPS (400W) > Laptop (signals startup & shut down based on battery condition)

Lucky7Gaming

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 02:00:16 PM

Check the antminers for their input requirements. If they take 12VDC +/- 2 VDC, then scrap the  DC>AC>DC arrangement and hook them straight up to a battery. I do this with my Jally.

Solar panel (200W) + wind turbine (200W) > hybrid combiner/controller > batt (nominal 12VDC) > Jally + R-box

Input the same as above > batt (nominal 12VDC) > UPS (400W) > Laptop (signals startup & shut down based on battery condition)

Yes Cranky4u.  That's what I was thinking too, but adding a 12v output from a computer power supply.  You would connect the computer power and the power from the battery charge controller up to the dpdt relay and it would switch between the pc power supply and solar power depending on if the solar is available or not.

Lucky7Gaming

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 02:03:38 PM

Depending on where you live, I would get probably 800 watts of solar panels, the rated wattage are only on the full sun. PVC pipe Wind  turbine might be better because its 24/7?  Definitely interested if anyone tries this idea  Grin   

Ah!!! How much is your 800Watts panel cost in $?
If you make your own panels...probably still a good $400 dollars.  After the use on the 12v antminers, you could definitely use the 12v supply onto 750ti's or even a 280x.  This could have a good roi over a few years.  If you only run on solar, you wouldn't have to install more 12v relays into your breaker box.  The 12v relay and wiring is a good $100 or $250 if you get it installed.

allcoinminer (OP)

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 08:21:22 PM
Last edit: June 26, 2014, 12:28:46 PM by allcoinminer

Check the antminers for their input requirements. If they take 12VDC +/- 2 VDC, then scrap the  DC>AC>DC arrangement and hook them straight up to a battery. I do this with my Jally.

Yes Cranky4u.  That's what I was thinking too, but adding a 12v output from a computer power supply.  You would connect the computer power and the power from the battery charge controller up to the dpdt relay and it would switch between the pc power supply and solar power depending on if the solar is available or not.

Thanks to all.
1. What kind of a Relay you advice here?
2. If the power from solar is low during low Sun will this relay switches to PSU?
3. Also what kind of a cable you are using to connect your devices to battery. Normally inverters use cables of very higher guage to connect to battery, so do I need to use such a kind of cable?
It will be more better if you can add an image of what you have done or others done such things.
Lucky7Gaming

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 12:06:29 PM

Check the antminers for their input requirements. If they take 12VDC +/- 2 VDC, then scrap the  DC>AC>DC arrangement and hook them straight up to a battery. I do this with my Jally.

Yes Cranky4u.  That's what I was thinking too, but adding a 12v output from a computer power supply.  You would connect the computer power and the power from the battery charge controller up to the dpdt relay and it would switch between the pc power supply and solar power depending on if the solar is available or not.

Thanks to all.
1. What kind of a Replay you advice here?
2. If the power from solar is low during low Sun will this replay switches to PSU?
3. Also what kind of a cable you are using to connect your devices to battery. Normally inverters use cables of very higher guage to connect to battery, so do I need to use such a kind of cable?
It will be more better if you can add an image of what you have done or others done such things.

1.  I assume by replay you mean relay, and you would need a 12v dpdt relay, with whatever amperage you need, which is wattage/voltage.  So for a antminer you would need something like  http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-JQX-30F-2Z-DC-12V-Coil-30A-250V-AC-Power-Relay-8-Pin-DPDT-/300715926685?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item460410e49d
2.  If the power is low, first the battery will drain off, and when that turns off, then the relay will switch to the PSU's 12v power supply.
3.  Definitely use a higher gauge wire between battery and the charge controller. 12v has high amperage.  You can solder connectors up to the wire and screw into the battery terminals.

Will definitely make a guide if I ever get time to finish this project  Grin

allcoinminer (OP)

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 12:28:16 PM

Here the issue is "when the battery will drain off and when that turns off":
We need a stopping point to switch to psu power before the battery drains very low and the devices get low power and malfunction, right?
Further that's bad to the battery too. How we will achieve that?

I think we will require some kind of a circuit to sense that low voltage or power point(like inverters/ups shut-off) and cut-off the supply from solar.
Then it the repay will have no power flow on one channel and it switches to the other one, to psu output.
Then in the morning when Solar provides enough power the relay switches off psu and lie in solar.
And the battery will be just used during night if PSU input Supply fails.

Regarding soldering battery wires to PCI-E connectors are also a problem. What you think about that?
Lucky7Gaming

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 12:31:32 PM

Here the issue is "when the battery will drain off and when that turns off":
We need a stopping point to switch to psu power before the battery drains very low and the devices get low power and malfunction, right?
Further that's bad to the battery too. How we will achieve that?

I think we will require some kind of a circuit to sense that low voltage or power point(like inverters/ups shut-off) and cut-off the supply from solar.
Then it the repay will have no power flow on one channel and it switches to the other one, to psu output.
Then in the morning when Solar provides enough power the relay switches off psu and lie in solar.
And the battery will be just used during night if PSU input Supply fails.

Regarding soldering battery wires to PCI-E connectors are also a problem. What you think about that?

The charge controller between the battery and solar panel will stop the battery when it goes below 11.5 and the relay will switch to the computer power supply.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: