Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:54:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Some changes need to be done.  (Read 4699 times)
Muhammed Zakir (OP)

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2014, 02:39:41 PM

Some changes need to be done.

In the bitcoin wiki about private keys (https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Private_key), there is the following warning,

In contrast, bitcoind provides a facility to import a private key without creating a sweep transaction. This is considered very dangerous, and not intended to be used even by power users or experts except in very specific cases. Bitcoins can be easily stolen at any time, from a wallet which has imported an untrusted or otherwise insecure private key - this can include private keys generated offline and never seen by someone else.

Why is this dangerous? Can somebody clarify? How is this different from inporting keys in a bitcoin-QT wallet?

Why is this dangerous? Can somebody clarify?

Whomever wrote that paragraph wasn't thinking very much about what they were saying.  It's ambiguous and confusing.

Relying on importing a private key to load funds into a wallet can be risky if the person that imports the private key isn't the person that generated it, or if the person that imports the key didn't generate it in a secure manner.  This isn't unique to boitcoind.  It's true of any wallet that allows you to directly import private keys.

How is this different from importing keys in a bitcoin-QT wallet?

It isn't.

Can anybody do it? Please make it to some meaningful sentence, somewhat like Danny Hamilton suggested. Thanks in advance! Smiley

~~MZ~~

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 07:24:08 PM

Perhaps it can be phrased better. The important thing is that it conveys that importing private keys is dangerous and shouldn't be done.

Muhammed Zakir (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2014, 10:57:59 AM

Perhaps it can be phrased better. The important thing is that it conveys that importing private keys is dangerous and shouldn't be done.

So please make it better. And do what do you mean by "dangerous"? Privacy problem? There is no problem in importing a private key unless it is generated by another person or made in a non-secure way. So if it is privacy problem, then please correct that too. Roll Eyes

~~MZ~~

kcud_dab
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin enthusiast!

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2014, 01:59:36 PM

If you think something should be edited, you can register and edit the wiki yourself!

Muhammed Zakir (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2014, 02:28:21 PM

If you think something should be edited, you can register and edit the wiki yourself!

I haven't paid the payment, so I can't edit till the day i pay but I will pay soon. So now it would be better if someone else changes it before someone misunderstand the post. Smiley

~~MZ~~

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: