Bitcoin Forum
October 16, 2018, 01:38:10 PM *
News: Make sure you are not using versions of Bitcoin Core other than 0.17.0 [Torrent], 0.16.3, 0.15.2, or 0.14.3. More info.

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: iPhone Wallets  (Read 4466 times)
SeeBettor

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 04:34:18 PM

I haven't seen much feedback about Coin Pocket. Talk to me. It looks simple enough. Can I trust it?

Other iPhone Wallets?

I've got poker tonight. They're used to hearing me talk about Bitcoin (probably sick of hearing it). But I need to show my not-so-tech-savvy iPhone buddies a tangible real world utility example of some bitcoin action.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1001

<3 Vanity Addresses :)

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 04:45:19 PM

never trust mobile wallet applications, keep there only little money like 10-50$ max
for minor spending drinks / food etc.

jbrnt

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 04:58:22 PM

I have tried bitWallet. It is available in AppStore, so do not require a jailbreak. I have not used it enough to give you a comment. For myself, I prefer to use Blockchain.info wallet in safari.
thefuture

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

★☆★777Coin.com★☆★ What are you waiting for?

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 05:16:25 PM

I would personally wait until the others come available thru the app store.

cooldgamer
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1000

We are the champions of the night

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2014, 07:26:51 PM

Blockchain is working on another version of their app.  Until then, you're better off just using their webwallet on Safari.  

bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1400

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2014, 12:35:02 AM

The software is (unconfirmably) keeping keys encrypted (bip 38). It's as legit as you can get without reviewing what you know for certain is the source code (which I guess technically would mean compiling yourself). I'm using it for sums that wouldn't hurt to lose.

Hardforks aren't that hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
InwardContour

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 02:53:32 AM

IOS apps cannot, by design be open source. This due diligence is done by apple. If you are to use any wallet on any IOS device you should only use one from a very trusted developer.

IMO the only safe IOS wallet is the blockchain wallet.

scribbles

Activity: 294

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 07:59:56 PM

I haven't seen much feedback about Coin Pocket. Talk to me. It looks simple enough. Can I trust it?

Other iPhone Wallets?

I've got poker tonight. They're used to hearing me talk about Bitcoin (probably sick of hearing it). But I need to show my not-so-tech-savvy iPhone buddies a tangible real world utility example of some bitcoin action.

Which app did you end up going with? I currently use CoinPocket and it's easy enough, gets the job done, but I don't trust it with more than $50-$75 at a time.

I'll be switching to the blockchain app as soon as it's released.

▄▄███████▄▄
        ▄███▀▀
▄▄▄▄    ▀▄
     ▄▄█████████████▄▄  ▀▄
  ▄▀▀██▀           ▀▀██▄▄▀▄
▄▀  ██                 ▀██
  ██       ▀▀█▀▀         █
█▀        █ █ █        ▄█▀▄
▀▄         █ █ █       ▄█  █
 ██         █▄▄▄█      ▄█  ▄▀
  ██▄                ▄█▀  ▄▀
  ▀▄▀██▄▄          ▄█▀  ▄▀
   ▀▄ ▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀▀
     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
UTRUST▀████████▄
  ▀███████▄
    ▀██████▄
      ▀██████
       ▀█████
        ▀████▄
         █████
          ▀███
           ███
           ▀██
            ██
             █
●  Download WHITEPAPER  ●
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▼ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
facebook      twitter      slack
▀████████▄
  ▀███████▄
    ▀██████▄
      ▀██████
       ▀█████
        ▀████▄
         █████
          ▀███
           ███
           ▀██
            ██
             █
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2014, 03:42:22 AM

IOS apps cannot, by design be open source. This due diligence is done by apple. If you are to use any wallet on any IOS device you should only use one from a very trusted developer.

Here is the open source code for blockchain.info's iOS wallet app. https://github.com/blockchain/My-Wallet-iPhone (presumably it's also published under a non-free license for App Store compatibility...I dunno...IANAL)

InwardContour

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 03:27:35 AM

Here is the open source code for blockchain.info's iOS wallet app. https://github.com/blockchain/My-Wallet-iPhone (presumably it's also published under a non-free license for App Store compatibility...I dunno...IANAL)

I think it would be very difficult to verify what you download from the app store is the same as what is published to github. AFAIK there is not a way to inspect code of programs that you have on your phone.

I am not 100% sure about this but I think that apple can force you to update an app if they so choose (in the event of a big security hole for example) so apple could, in theory push a wallet app that is not actually from the dev

bg002h
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2014, 10:03:15 AM

I think it would be very difficult to verify what you download from the app store is the same as what is published to github. AFAIK there is not a way to inspect code of programs that you have on your phone.

I am not 100% sure about this but I think that apple can force you to update an app if they so choose (in the event of a big security hole for example) so apple could, in theory push a wallet app that is not actually from the dev
Apple can't push code to your phone unless you turn on (or fail to turn off? Not sure what default is) auto update. They can delete App Store apps from your phone...it's a power they have never used.

tryexcept

Activity: 195
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 07:58:58 PM

If you are interested in multisignature wallets there's GreenAddress on the iOS store

If you want to run the latest version we run a program on hockeyapp you can participate in.

InwardContour

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 04:11:55 AM

Apple can't push code to your phone unless you turn on (or fail to turn off? Not sure what default is) auto update. They can delete App Store apps from your phone...it's a power they have never used.
Regardless of your setting to have apps auto update (I don't think this is actually a setting, as I often have a lot of app updates on my iPhone), how many people do you know simply click on "update all" when they visit the app store that shows all the updates. I would say that most people do not look at the part where it says what is being updated/changed.

snarlpill

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

Affordable US Shipping- cryptoplanet.co/shiptips

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2014, 04:27:46 AM

I haven't really checked much through the App Store since they lifted their ban on Bitcoin wallet apps (I think I read something like that somewhere, am I correct?).

I mainly just use blockchain.info website when I am on the go, as cooldgamer suggested. However, I have had a "view only" Bitcoin wallet app named Baseline that I downloaded months ago when the ban was in effect. Even though it's view-only, it has actually proven itself to be very helpful to me. You can set the price of Bitcoin based off of like 20+ exchanges (your choice), and input up to 5 different addresses for free. Once your addresses are entered, one click shows you all recent transactions with all relevant info., one click shows your QR code, and one click copies your address to the clipboard (Very helpful). Best of all, it requires no trust, as you are only entering your public key. Very handy just for checking in on your BTC finances when on the go, I recommend it.

Besides that, yes I think I will also just wait for blockchain.info's new app.

snarlpill

btcton
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1007

Professional SysAdmin / Hobbyist Developer

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 04:43:45 AM

Regardless of your setting to have apps auto update (I don't think this is actually a setting, as I often have a lot of app updates on my iPhone), how many people do you know simply click on "update all" when they visit the app store that shows all the updates. I would say that most people do not look at the part where it says what is being updated/changed.
Just to clarify, I am not sure if there is an option for it, but the default setting is definitely not on because apps don't update automatically for me.

InwardContour

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 01:13:42 AM

Just to clarify, I am not sure if there is an option for it, but the default setting is definitely not on because apps don't update automatically for me.
Lets just say that it is not possible for apple to force update apps like you describe for conversational sake, but can rather make updates available on the app store. How often do you look at individual updates to check what is being updated and confirm that the update is actually from the dev? Do you know anyone that does this? I think that most people put a certain level of trust in apple to not push an update that is malicious verses multibit for example of signing a PGP message confirming that a new update of their client was actually developed by them.

BawsyBoss

Activity: 391

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 06:42:13 PM

Lets just say that it is not possible for apple to force update apps like you describe for conversational sake, but can rather make updates available on the app store. How often do you look at individual updates to check what is being updated and confirm that the update is actually from the dev? Do you know anyone that does this? I think that most people put a certain level of trust in apple to not push an update that is malicious verses multibit for example of signing a PGP message confirming that a new update of their client was actually developed by them.
I personally check every individual update as well as its changelog before updating each app as well as the reviews. This goes even for unimportant apps such as casual games or such, since I know from experience that some updates mess everything up. I also like to check on what's new and such. I don't really know if other people do this as well, but I assume that at least a good amount checks to see what's new with each update.

Forever strong.
InwardContour

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 02:40:54 AM

I personally check every individual update as well as its changelog before updating each app as well as the reviews. This goes even for unimportant apps such as casual games or such, since I know from experience that some updates mess everything up. I also like to check on what's new and such. I don't really know if other people do this as well, but I assume that at least a good amount checks to see what's new with each update.
Okay you check the updates prior to installing the update. But how many people do you think do anything like this? I would guess very few. Even if people did do this you cannot know for sure what is in the source code as apple apps are sandboxed.

Maidak
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

bitcoinminerz.com

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2014, 04:03:58 AM

Now that they brought it back i'm up in the air for an iphone 5s or a samsung galaxy s5... oh the choices..

Buy & Sell Bitcoin | Escrow | BitcoinminerZ.com | MMOclub.com Contact by SMS/Call(717)454-4274 or email maidak@mmoclub.com for fast service!
voisine

Activity: 120
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 04:52:54 AM

I'd like to add breadwallet to this thread.

breadwallet.com

breadwallet is the first bitcoin network client for iOS. It connects to the bitcoin network in SPV mode instead of using trusted servers for balance and transaction data. I designed it to be extremely simple, intuitive and safe for non-bitcoin experts. It's also currently the only BIP32 deterministic SPV wallet. Other SPV wallets are based on bitcoinj which doesn't have BIP32 implemented yet, though it's very close.

major features:

- "simplified payment verification" for fast mobile performance (BIP37)
- no servers to get hacked or go down
- single backup phrase that works forever (BIP32/BIP39)
- private keys never leave your device
- import password protected paper wallets (BIP38)
- "payment protocol" payee identity certification (BIP70)
- open source
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.