Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 06:19:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I'll trade my rare metalloid Tellurium for your bitcoin  (Read 913 times)
godislove (OP)

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

Devout Atheist

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 02:21:25 PM

I'll trade a 2 pound ingot bar of tellurium for 0.2 bitcoins. It's 99.7% purity, so it's currently worth in China and the U.S. roughly $110.  Maybe slightly lower in Europe. So my current bitcoin price is about 10% high.  On the other hand, there is probably not any other place to get small quantities of tellurium for this price.  It's toxic and should not be touched with bare hands or melted where vapors can be breathed. It is not considered as toxic as lead or cadmium, but you can safely touch lead. It seems to be usually safely excreted from the body like it's sister compound selenium.  Sign of exposure is garlic breath. Harm from exposure generally seems mild and not lasting, but exposure and epidemiological data is limited. It seems to not be cancerous and affecting the nervous system seems like it might require an extreme and unlikely form of exposure such as intense exposure to vapors during smelting.  If interested, send me a private message.  Tellurium is one the rarest elements, produced at about 500 tons per year, used by FirstSolar to produce solar energy from CdTe.  Tellurium is produced from copper mining which contains it at 100 to 150 ppm as an impurity.  If copper production tanks at the same time electrical energy from the desert is needed, then tellurium will increase in value.  A couple of years ago it was worth 4 times more than this price I'm offering, but in the distant past before firstsolar and the metal commodity increase since 2000, it was 1/10th as much.  

Is there a website that can help people trade like this?    It seems ebay and paypal are outdated.  Seller's reputation would be the only "recourse" a buyer has and sellers do not need recourse.  And by using coinbase, conversion to dollars is 1% instead of the combined 15% ebay and paypal charge.  An ebay-like website with bitcoin and using coinbase as the conversion to dollars should add another 1%, but still that's a lot cheaper than trying to be a seller or buyer on amazon or ebay.  Bitcoin should begin by replace amazon and ebay.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2014, 03:19:17 PM

"SaltySpitoon" is a reliable escrow. I suggest contacting him.
lawday

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 03:36:41 PM

I'll trade a 2 pound ingot bar of tellurium for 0.2 bitcoins. It's 99.7% purity, so it's currently worth in China and the U.S. roughly $110.  Maybe slightly lower in Europe. So my current bitcoin price is about 10% high.  On the other hand, there is probably not any other place to get small quantities of tellurium for this price.  It's toxic and should not be touched with bare hands or melted where vapors can be breathed. It is not considered as toxic as lead or cadmium, but you can safely touch lead. It seems to be usually safely excreted from the body like it's sister compound selenium.  Sign of exposure is garlic breath. Harm from exposure generally seems mild and not lasting, but exposure and epidemiological data is limited. It seems to not be cancerous and affecting the nervous system seems like it might require an extreme and unlikely form of exposure such as intense exposure to vapors during smelting.  If interested, send me a private message.  Tellurium is one the rarest elements, produced at about 500 tons per year, used by FirstSolar to produce solar energy from CdTe.  Tellurium is produced from copper mining which contains it at 100 to 150 ppm as an impurity.  If copper production tanks at the same time electrical energy from the desert is needed, then tellurium will increase in value.  A couple of years ago it was worth 4 times more than this price I'm offering, but in the distant past before firstsolar and the metal commodity increase since 2000, it was 1/10th as much.  

Is there a website that can help people trade like this?    It seems ebay and paypal are outdated.  Seller's reputation would be the only "recourse" a buyer has and sellers do not need recourse.  And by using coinbase, conversion to dollars is 1% instead of the combined 15% ebay and paypal charge.  An ebay-like website with bitcoin and using coinbase as the conversion to dollars should add another 1%, but still that's a lot cheaper than trying to be a seller or buyer on amazon or ebay.  Bitcoin should begin by replace amazon and ebay.
What in the world is that supposed to be used for as I've never in my life every heard of that please explain as I am very curious and love to learn new things every day Thank You And God Bless Cheesy
godislove (OP)

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

Devout Atheist

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 06:10:07 PM
Last edit: June 19, 2014, 07:35:10 PM by godislove

Like bitcoin, Tellurium is distinct, rare, divisible, and supply-constrained.  It is more supply-constrained than gold, and it has a real-world use that determines its value in terms of joules of energy instead of personal opinion or speculation.  Unlike bitcoin which requires energy, it creates energy which determines its value. 1 gram Tellurium will help produce about 1000 kWh in the 30-year lifetime of a CdTe solar cell before needing to be recycled.  It is currently the lowest-cost method of producing energy in desert-like conditions.  Likewise, a gram of silver in the contacts is required to produce each 1000 kWh of silicon solar cell electricity. silicon solar is the low-cost leader on roof-tops and more northern latitudes. They have been looking for a silver substitute for 40 years but have not had any economic success with alternatives.  So silver and tellurium have equal energy-production value and therefore might arguably be justified in having the same price based on energy production, especially if silicon solar cells continue in their expansion. They will be 50% of silver's use in 5 to 10 years.  As copper mines switch to newer technologies, the older methods that allowed for tellurium extraction are no longer feasible.  Tellurium and silver supply (price) will determine how many solar cells are made for the next 20 years as other technologies take up the slack.  As solar cell production costs reach $0.05/kWh over 30 year lifetimes and if tellurium and silver consume 5% of this production cost, then 1000kWh*$0.0025/kWh = $2.5 per gram value of Te and silver based on their energy-production capability, about 5 times more than silver's current price and 20 times tellurium's. So this $130 bar I offer is arguably worth $2,600 in a real sense.  When bitcoin hits $10,000, I'll buy back my sold tellurium.  Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: