Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:03:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: It happened! (TIME/tech)  (Read 7522 times)
mjsbuddha

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

yung lean

View Profile
April 17, 2011, 12:39:58 AM

Thank you for your service to the community mr. jerryb. I'm sure there are a few people here that would be eager to tip you if you posted a bitcoin address.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jerryb

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2011, 02:15:16 PM

Let me know what you think.

First: great article! thanks.

There are two common inaccuracies, though:

• "all transactions are completely free"
  • "transactions are instantaneous"

I would love if someone came up with something sounding just as positive while being true.

"transactions _can_ be free, but if the amount is small and the transaction's inputs are not old, you might have to pay a small fee to get it through fast enough" just doesn't cut it marketing-wise Sad

If someone could come up with a nice way to put it without being inaccurate I would be happy.

Hi there- I'm not sure I said either of those things in the article. Do you think you may be looking at another article? I can't find those phrases using Google, though. -JB
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 17, 2011, 06:20:01 PM

"transactions _can_ be free, but if the amount is small and the transaction's inputs are not old, you might have to pay a small fee to get it through fast enough" just doesn't cut it marketing-wise Sad

If someone could come up with a nice way to put it without being inaccurate I would be happy.

"Transactions can be free, but you can also pay a small Priority fee."

Better now?
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
April 17, 2011, 06:55:27 PM

"Transactions can be free, but you can also pay a small Priority fee."

Better now?

I would rather to say that transactions fees are determined in a free market way or something.

There is no rule regarding transactions fees, except for offer and demand.

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 17, 2011, 07:19:37 PM

I would swear I saw rules regarding tx fee's someplace, possibly even talking about values, kinda BTC 0,01 per KB(or Kb, not sure) of tx size if i'm not mistaken.

But don't go by my word, just a newbie here.  Wink
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
April 17, 2011, 07:45:21 PM

I would swear I saw rules regarding tx fee's someplace, possibly even talking about values, kinda BTC 0,01 per KB(or Kb, not sure) of tx size if i'm not mistaken.

There is indeed a 'getMinFee' function in the source code but it's easy to modify.   I'm not an expert of this subject either but I'm pretty sure everyone is free to accept or decline any fee anyway.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2011, 08:12:48 PM

There is a default rule set and since most people are using it that's what you need to pay to get in reliably. It is not a hard 'rule' though.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
April 17, 2011, 08:32:25 PM

Let me know what you think.

First: great article! thanks.

There are two common inaccuracies, though:

• "all transactions are completely free"
  • "transactions are instantaneous"

I would love if someone came up with something sounding just as positive while being true.

Hi there- I'm not sure I said either of those things in the article. Do you think you may be looking at another article? I can't find those phrases using Google, though. -JB

argh, you're totally right and I am sorry.

I was looking at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSLByqTusaQ before (or after?) I read your article and must've gotten confused.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 20, 2011, 12:28:21 PM

To the author of the Time magazine article:

Well written, and very informative.

Anonymous

April 21, 2011, 12:08:39 AM

Thanks @jerryb for the articcle. What do you say about your colleagues such as @tylercowen who says that bitcoin wont work because he can move his wealth to the cayman islands right now ?

He only seems to talk about the use of bitcoin to sell drugs and that it wont succeed because "the cayman islands has more money right now".

Here is my view for his criticism of bitcoin -Economists tied to the current system criticizing bitcoin is like DuPont family and William Randolph Hearst criticizing hemp http://bit.ly/fhNtGb

Does anyone really want the government to take their store of value as easily as they seize domain names ? Is this really preferential than a system that puts me in control of my own destiny ? Bitcoin didnt cause the recent global economic crash either.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
April 21, 2011, 12:27:50 AM

Here is my view for his criticism of bitcoin -Economists tied to the current system criticizing bitcoin is like DuPont family and William Randolph Hearst criticizing hemp http://bit.ly/fhNtGb

Does anyone really want the government to take their store of value as easily as they seize domain names ? Is this really preferential than a system that puts me in control of my own destiny ? Bitcoin didnt cause the recent global economic crash either.

Criticizes their ideas, not their characters.

Anonymous

April 21, 2011, 11:57:56 AM

Criticizes their ideas, not their characters.

Where did I mention their character ?

Its about economic  incentives to not accept something that threatens your livelihood.
radracer

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 26, 2011, 05:10:41 PM

i find it hard to see how economists have their livelihoods threatened by an increase in the popularity of bitcoin.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2011, 05:23:53 PM

i find it hard to see how economists have their livelihoods threatened by an increase in the popularity of bitcoin.

Their tenure contracts are denominated in fiat.

edit: easy enough to hedge I suppose.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: