Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 10:57:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Consciousness  (Read 8991 times)
amencon

Activity: 410
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 21, 2012, 04:21:16 AM

Btw BBC Horizon just put out another highly interesting 60min documentary titled "Out of control" and talking about how much of what our brain and as a effect we do is conscious and and how much unconscious. I highly recommend it.

Sounds awesome, I'll definitely check it out.  Thanks.

Do they? Or is one just an amplification of another through a feedback loop with extra qualia attached each loop around.

Hmm that might be it.  I was going off a description for self-awareness that seemed to treat qualia as coming from a separate "network" than awareness:

"self-awareness
Popular ideas about consciousness suggest the phenomenon describes a condition of being aware of one's awareness or, self-awareness. Efforts to describe consciousness in neurological terms have focused on describing networks in the brain that develop awareness of the qualia developed by other networks."

Though I realize now that that is an explanation in "neurological terms".

I've never had trouble pinning down what qualia is. I experience it every waking moment.

Which of those have qualia? Which don't? As soon as you start to say why one or more have qualia, and others don't, then you're starting to address the Hard Problem.

What I meant by "pin down" would entail knowing the answer to the lower quote.  It's true we all "experience" qualia every day, but that doesn't mean I understand how it works or why its there or even what it really is.

Personally I feel more comfortable trying to explain these questions in the manner hazek does, but this is probably because it makes more intrinsic sense to me, and not necessarily because it's the "right" answer.  I don't expect it to be "solved" definitively in my lifetime but I'm fascinated to follow developments and ponder the questions in the meantime.

I would imagine as science continues to give insights into the "easy" problems, theories on the hard problem will be refined.  In that sense I see value in the work done on struggling to answer both the "easy" and "hard" question.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  All
  Print  

Jump to: