Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 11:35:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Please support OpenBazaar  (Read 2451 times)
theblacksquid (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 02:24:09 PM

I haven't contributed anything to the project yet as I'm still learning how to use python and HTML5, but please, for those of you who do have the know-how, or the coin, please support OB's development by either helping develop the code at:

https://github.com/OpenBazaar/OpenBazaar

or donate using the donate widget on their site:

http://openbazaar.org/

(I wanted to paste a BTC address generated from that link, but something tells me it'd look wrong...)

Support Decentralized Commerce - OpenBazaar.org
Add some science to your mining!  GRIDCOIN

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TheTruth4

Activity: 108
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 06:25:16 PM

Is OpenBazaar a tor site or is it run as a distributed torrent based network?
rammy2k2
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 04:55:15 PM

Decentralized marketplace for instantly trading with anyone using Bitcoin
newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1049

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 05:31:53 PM

I haven't contributed anything to the project yet as I'm still learning how to use python and HTML5, but please, for those of you who do have the know-how, or the coin, please support OB's development by either helping develop the code at:

https://github.com/OpenBazaar/OpenBazaar

or donate using the donate widget on their site:

http://openbazaar.org/

(I wanted to paste a BTC address generated from that link, but something tells me it'd look wrong...)

No doubt... the idea is wonderful, but I doubt the practical implementability of it, though I'll be closely following this project. In a trustless open marketplace, chance of scam will be high. The challenge is to minimize it.

joesmoe2012

Activity: 882
Merit: 501

Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2014, 12:44:01 PM

Yeah im' curious to see how this is implemented as well. Seems like a great idea, but I'd like to see a functioning prototype.

Check out BitcoinATMTalk - https://bitcoinatmtalk.com
caedes

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 07:58:42 AM

I'd like to see a functioning prototype.

Then you definitely want to check out openbazaar because that's exactly what it is  Smiley

Not sure about the current state, but it's been a functioning prototype since day one (I know because I am one of the original authors)... maybe you mean a "production grade software" that will take more time but it can't be that far.
Chrithu

Activity: 224

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 08:18:53 AM

No doubt... the idea is wonderful, but I doubt the practical implementability of it, though I'll be closely following this project. In a trustless open marketplace, chance of scam will be high. The challenge is to minimize it.

I pretty much share this concern. Without some kind of escrowing functionality it might get largely overlooked by potential customers. When money or valuable commodities are involved people tend to value security over anonymity.

The escrowing part is easier to do in a centralized approach. In a decentralized automated approach the hard part becomes proving the actual exchange of the goods. If you take Bitcoin as an inspiration things could be handled in a three step approach. If a deal is made the buying party issues a payment, the network verifies this issue of payment and by that notifies the seller that he will get the money as soon as he delivers proof of handing the goods to the buyer, if the network verifies this proof it confirms the whole transaction which results in the money being accounted to the seller.

The tricky part in this approach is how to create a reliable proof of handing the goods over that can be verified in an automated fashion.

theblacksquid (OP)

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 11:53:18 PM
Last edit: June 25, 2014, 12:09:52 AM by theblacksquid

I pretty much share this concern. Without some kind of escrowing functionality it might get largely overlooked by potential customers. When money or valuable commodities are involved people tend to value security over anonymity.

The escrowing part is easier to do in a centralized approach. In a decentralized automated approach the hard part becomes proving the actual exchange of the goods. If you take Bitcoin as an inspiration things could be handled in a three step approach. If a deal is made the buying party issues a payment, the network verifies this issue of payment and by that notifies the seller that he will get the money as soon as he delivers proof of handing the goods to the buyer, if the network verifies this proof it confirms the whole transaction which results in the money being accounted to the seller.

Great thing about this is that it uses the same escrow-address generating feature DarkMarket has. Openbazaar is actually a fork of the DarkMarket proof-of-concept developed for the Toronto Bitcoin hackathon.

Wired has a very good post on how the prototype works:

http://www.wired.com/2014/04/darkmarket/

Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 11:55:36 PM
Last edit: June 25, 2014, 12:07:38 AM by Anon136

also you may want to look into the NXT free market. it is a very similar concept except that it will use torrents instead of centralized servers to save and access all of the information that cant be practically stored on a blockchain. also it will use nxt instead of bitcoin.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
ticoti

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 12:03:24 AM

great project!

I think we need a big market like this,maybe it is yours...
good luck!
theblacksquid (OP)

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 12:13:18 AM

also you may want to look into the NXT free market. it is a very similar concept except that it will use torrents instead of centralized servers to save and access all of the information that cant be practically stored on a blockchain. also it will use nxt instead of bitcoin.

Sounds interesting. I want to look into this. Do you have any links?

Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 12:26:34 AM

Sounds interesting. I want to look into this. Do you have any links?

Sure. Its still a work in progress but we have a few different threads about it. Ill try to dig some of them up.

https://nxtforum.org/multigateway-jl777/nxtorrent/
https://nxtforum.org/trading-exchanges/350-000-nxt-bounty-physical-goods-store/

i know there is another thread related to this project somewhere but i cant seem to track it down.

If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
theblacksquid (OP)

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 02:43:29 AM

They dont have TOR configured into the client app yet, but is working on it.

dwdoc
Legendary

Activity: 966

- - -Caveat Aleo- - -

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 02:26:26 PM

The tricky part in this approach is how to create a reliable proof of handing the goods over that can be verified in an automated fashion.

Ebay has the same difficulty with confirming delivery. All they do is essentially check tracking numbers. A trust rating system for sellers like ebay's will be an essential component. Unfortunately, whenever consumer protections are implemented, anonymity is diminished.
BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 02:58:56 PM

Ebay has the same difficulty with confirming delivery. All they do is essentially check tracking numbers. A trust rating system for sellers like ebay's will be an essential component. Unfortunately, whenever consumer protections are implemented, anonymity is diminished.

That is why Bitcoin is doing good being half-anonymous (where Tx is known, but address owner is unknown) and OpenBazaar type implementations will always find its place in SR type dark market. Normal consumer want security/insurance over his purchase. He'll spend some extra to mediator to ensure this and that is what the normal consumer sentiment is for a larger public market. So, with all due respect to the dev's sweat, I'm sorry to say, OpenBaazar is NOT going to be the next big thing in white market...

theblacksquid (OP)

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 08:24:23 PM

That's true, one could risk exposing their identity online when they file for arbitration cases and all that good stuff. They are also working on a two-layer web-of-trust system to ensure promote good seller practices. There's the trust given by other people as is, and feedback from previous transactions.

theblacksquid (OP)

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 08:25:59 PM

That is why Bitcoin is doing good being half-anonymous (where Tx is known, but address owner is unknown) and OpenBazaar type implementations will always find its place in SR type dark market. Normal consumer want security/insurance over his purchase. He'll spend some extra to mediator to ensure this and that is what the normal consumer sentiment is for a larger public market. So, with all due respect to the dev's sweat, I'm sorry to say, OpenBaazar is NOT going to be the next big thing in white market...

It doesnt have to be the next big thing. It just has to fill a niche that already exists for selling items and accepting payments using BTC, or any other cryptocurrency, for that matter.

theblacksquid (OP)

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 08:31:41 PM

They also got a very good slideshow demontrating the basics of what OB can do:

http://www.slideshare.net/openbazaar/open-bazaar

dionyziz

Activity: 3

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2014, 06:37:02 AM

To revive an old thread, since we're getting closer to a beta for OpenBazaar, I want to jump in and say that the questions about trust and anonymity are very real and challenging, so thank you for posing them.

In our preliminary documentation on the matter, A pseudonymous trust system for a decentralized anonymous marketplace, we attempt to address some of these issues to preserve both anonymity and establish trust towards pseudonymous identities. Feedback is always welcome.
dwdoc
Legendary

Activity: 966

- - -Caveat Aleo- - -

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 04:08:31 PM

Yay. Just released beta version of OpenBazaar running on Ubuntu in vmplayer on windows desktop.  Grin

iShade

Activity: 42

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 02:45:15 AM

Looking interesting! Will keep an eye out and have a look when I have some time.
GoBetCoin

Activity: 40

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2014, 04:59:19 AM

To revive an old thread, since we're getting closer to a beta for OpenBazaar, I want to jump in and say that the questions about trust and anonymity are very real and challenging, so thank you for posing them.

In our preliminary documentation on the matter, A pseudonymous trust system for a decentralized anonymous marketplace, we attempt to address some of these issues to preserve both anonymity and establish trust towards pseudonymous identities. Feedback is always welcome.

Interesting ideas you describe here, I would love to see them in action.
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 07:17:27 PM

You ought to use a hybrid of WOT and a nash equilibrium strategy of mutually assured destruction through mutually risked funds. http://nashx.com/HowItWorks

The WOT give you protection from situations where there is a large discrepancy in the value applied to money its self by each party, and so the party that values the money less highly can extort the other party by legitimately threatening to destroy both parties risked funds. Its not a particularly threatening attack vector that would only work in very niche cases, but the addition of WOT would bring the likelihood of its occurrence down to almost zero.

The combination of these should be sufficient to create a very reliable totally distributed system of accountability even in within the framework of a totally anonymous system.

Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: