Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 02:53:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: solution to rubber hose attacks  (Read 2879 times)
jonald_fyookball (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 09:41:38 PM

This is exactly true. If you are in physical danger there is no reason to try to protect you money/bitcoin.

Money can be replaced, your life cannot.

I have to disagree, at least partially.

People "refuse to negotiate with terrorists" for a reason.
And that reason, is that if everyone just gave in, terrorism
would run rampant.  By setting a precedent of refusal,
the motivation to try to steal is diminished and everyone
is safer.

Now, if someone demands my (fiat) wallet and
wields a weapon, i'll  hand it over.

But I will not turn over all my cold storage to terrorists,
even if they threaten my family.   

Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2014, 10:49:21 PM

in all possible solutions.. even moving funds during being held hostage, multisig, safety deposit boxes etc.

the guy is still in your house and knows you still have control of your funds. he knows you would rather give him the funds .. eventually .. rather then send them to an address with no known privkey (losing control yourself knowing you will never get them back ever).

so he will hammer you until he gets the multisig, privkey, safety deposit key, privkey where funds were diverted to.

i guess the cartoon did no explain that enough

This is exactly true. If you are in physical danger there is no reason to try to protect you money/bitcoin.

Prove it. How do you know death is not simply a reset button where you get to start over?

You don't know, and neither do I. I find your fear of death to be irrational, especially in light of the known suffering of existence.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
jonald_fyookball (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 10:52:54 PM

in all possible solutions.. even moving funds during being held hostage, multisig, safety deposit boxes etc.

the guy is still in your house and knows you still have control of your funds. he knows you would rather give him the funds .. eventually .. rather then send them to an address with no known privkey (losing control yourself knowing you will never get them back ever).

so he will hammer you until he gets the multisig, privkey, safety deposit key, privkey where funds were diverted to.

Prove it. How do you know death is not simply a reset button where you get to start over?

You don't know, and neither do I. I find your fear of death to be irrational, especially in light of the known suffering of existence.

You may get to start over but you can't take your bitcoins with you.
 Smiley

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4487

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 11:04:17 PM

Smiley

jumping to the other side of the opinion fence....

if you can remember your previous life, after being re-incarnated.. technically you may remember a brainwallet!  Grin  Grin

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
KonstantinosM

Activity: 1493
Merit: 763

Life is a taxable event

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 11:10:30 PM

I agree with the idea with heavy modification.

A lying gui with secret functionality is my takeaway from this.

Press the secret button, enter password and then the qt starts lying.

Hopefully you won't be killed just for money in the process.

Syscoin has the best of Bitcoin and Ethereum in one place, it's merge mined with Bitcoin so it is plugged into Bitcoin's ecosystem and takes full advantage of it's POW while rewarding Bitcoin miners with Syscoin
jonald_fyookball (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 11:22:49 PM

Smiley

jumping to the other side of the opinion fence....

if you can remember your previous life, after being re-incarnated.. technically you may remember a brainwallet!  Grin  Grin

It's Possible.

I knew one spiritual teacher who claims to have been a pirate in a past life and remembers location of buried treasure.

NotAtOld

Activity: 200
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 11:08:53 AM

Multi-sig custody where >1 signature is required to transfer XBT. Kinda like travelers checks that required two signatures to spend (remember those)?

Close. That's probably good for up to 10k... maybe $100k. But when the stakes get higher, the the chances of collution become more likely. Especially when the secondary signer can see the amount in question.
NotAtOld

Activity: 200
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 11:12:42 AM

One could automate this with a program to verify one's location and provide a co-signature. It's also possible that someone could integrate this into web wallets to provide more secure "banking" options.

The advantages of a generic physical storage system is the holder cannot see the amount in question, and will not even know if the medium (paper, stone engraving, snapshot with special encoding) contains valuable data, nor the format of the data (half a brain wallet passkey, picture files containing hidden encrypted data, or simply a clue for relatives to decrypt on the event of your death).
ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 08:12:45 PM

Do you know anyone who got to "start over" when they died?

If if I were to accept your argument that is would be a possibility, if you really started over then your bitcoin would be lost regardless.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: