Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: WHO WILL PREVAIL?
MASTERCOIN - 8 (7.3%)
NXT - 101 (92.7%)
Total Voters: 109

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MASTERCOIN VS NXT  (Read 4951 times)
Carra23
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

Need a campaign manager? PM me

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 10:25:51 PM

Does anyone still use Mastercoin?  Nxt has a developer community second only to BTC.  In 3 months you will be able to do 5x with Nxt that you can do right now, exciting times.

I bought and sold MaidSafe throught the Mastercoin system without having to buy Mastercoins... I used bitcoins... That means mastercoins are nearly useless...

Except that you paid a lot more buying through bitcoins.

That was used as a pump&dump scam to get rid of their Mastercoin. 20% of total Mastercoin supply was used in 3 hours to buy MaidSafe... That's how much strong hands like Mastercoin.

Also look Mastercoin's volume and orderbook, once you buy you are trapped bag holding.

BTW: I like Mastercoin idea, but the coin itself is not worth investing. Same applies to Ripple idea and XRP.

Regardless it still means you could have got maidsafe cheaper with mastercoin. Mastercoin can try more stunts like this in te future.
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 08:14:27 PM

Auroracoin showed how it can be done, although they ultimately failed for a couple of reasons, the concept is good. Maybe in a decade from now a similar thing will be done with a Bitcoin successor, who knows.

NEM is the best with the distribution concept. Great team too. The next big thing.

I have to hand it to NEM. Their distribution concept is novel by any definition. Whether or not it has much success, we'll have to find out.

Any coin that focuses on fair distribution or any type of gimmicky feature will sooner or later fail.  You can not innovate based on one feature that has no worth or value in the real world. only a handful of broke folks ever complain about unfair disitribution cuz they live in a world of "scarcity".  if u live in a world with an "abundance" mindset. u don't pay attention to nonsense such as unfair distribution.

I agree with you that the fair distribution aspect on its own cannot secure a long term success. It depends on utility x scarcety to create (=) value. Only when a currency has those two qualities it will be used. Nevertheless a fair distribution can greatly contribute to the long term success of any given currency in a competitive environment such as the cryptocoin space. In a theoretical case of two contenders (Acoin and Bcoin) with equal qualities and environment, the one that manages to be more equally and broadly distributed would win out over the one that pursues a narrow distribution imo. The main causes would be network effects which constitute higher adoption, recognition, larger community in holders, developers and investors and faster innovation rate. A real world example that comes close to the hypothetical case described may be the Monero/Bytecoin case where both chains have been introduced to the public almost simultaneously, they have almost the same qualities (Monero is a clone of Bytecoin with slower emission schedule and faster block times) but differ in the distribution by a large extent (Bytecoin 83% stealth mined, Monero 0% pre/stealthmined). Monero in opposition to Bytecoin has already achieved a huge appreciation in price, market cap and daily volume, however this case is very young and no conclusions can be drawn regarding the long term development of this case.

Your second argument goes in the direction of what has been mentioned here before and is also valid: that in order for acceptance a currency has to be perceived as valuable by its holders or it will be dumped at the first best occasion. In case of Auroracoin this perception was most likely not present with most of its target group. Thus the biggest part of the claimed coins were dumped immediately. With floating exchange rates and legal tender laws not strictly enforced, the reverse case of "Gresham's Law" applies, which praphrased states that "Good Money will drive bad money out of circulation into savings". Good money being the one with most perceived value compared to its exchange rate. So yes, with value people will accept the new coin and try to accumulate it (like Bitcoin). Without value, they will dump it for any other currency (like they did with Auroracoin for Krona).

Because this discussion kind of de-rails this thread I have cross-posted my response to:
Most efficient distribution strategies
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=528261.msg7456628#msg7456628
ChuckOne

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

☕ NXT-4BTE-8Y4K-CDS2-6TB82

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 08:19:56 PM

I might correct that to:

The broader distribution of else-equal coins will make the difference.

Fairness does not matter.
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 11:50:08 PM

I might correct that to:

The broader distribution of else-equal coins will make the difference.

Fairness does not matter.

Thx. I would agree in so far as fairness is less significant for a positive outcome as broad distribution but I think it does matter though. Think of the negative perception. If anything is premined or stealth mined to a significant percent (greater the 5%) nowadays it carries a stigma. (I recommend this good read: http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=a_massive_investigation_of_instamines_and_fastmines_for_the_top_alt_coins) Few coins stick out in this dimension of competition, such as Monero or Counterparty (where everybody including the devs burned their Bitcoins in order to get XCP). Bitcoin would not pass so easily today as it did in 2009, simply because there was no competition back then.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: