Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:13:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Idea: revealing Bitcoin users' identities AND improve anonymity  (Read 2156 times)
cjp (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 124

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2012, 05:35:13 PM

I am glad to see that not everyone is obsessed with anonymity. There is so much more to Bitcoin, just like there is so much more to education and grades than keeping your grades secret from others.

The original poster is obsessed with anonymity  Roll Eyes
He just thinks this would be a great tool for people to check their anonymity. Just like port scanners and exploit frameworks are great tools to check the security of web servers.

I also like the comment of Phinnaeus about the "look-at-me society". People do not always choose for anonymity: sometimes publicity is more attractive. However, I believe this should always be a choice. And I don't think this datamining-idea is the right thing for showing that a certain transaction belongs to you. It is much easier to do that reliably with a sort of signed message system, maybe with a sort of Public Key Infrastructure for identity verification.

Donate to: 1KNgGhVJx4yKupWicMenyg6SLoS68nA6S8
http://cornwarecjp.github.io/amiko-pay/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2012, 05:40:23 PM

I am glad to see that not everyone is obsessed with anonymity. There is so much more to Bitcoin, just like there is so much more to education and grades than keeping your grades secret from others.

The original poster is obsessed with anonymity  Roll Eyes
He just thinks this would be a great tool for people to check their anonymity. Just like port scanners and exploit frameworks are great tools to check the security of web servers.

I also like the comment of Phinnaeus about the "look-at-me society". People do not always choose for anonymity: sometimes publicity is more attractive. However, I believe this should always be a choice. And I don't think this datamining-idea is the right thing for showing that a certain transaction belongs to you. It is much easier to do that reliably with a sort of signed message system, maybe with a sort of Public Key Infrastructure for identity verification.

This, to address the bolded phrase above:

Bitcoin has properties only barely explored yet. We don't have to be limited to commonly known forms. We can invent new forms. Some will ensure privacy and anonymity, some will provide positive identity. We can wear payment codes publicly and we can conceal private keys in many ways. Without the Authoritarian Architecture of a Central Bank, we are free as individuals to invent new ways to create transactions and will inspire the Open Source developers to create new tools for us to make our lives easier and more convenient. And we will never have to worry again about someone stealing our money through the many frauds of identity theft.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: