Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:54:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you communicate with your Antminer S2 outside your network?  (Read 8106 times)
pixelpowered (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 04:03:36 PM

Salutations everyone,

I've been mining a while with some Antminer S2's in different pools to test out the configuration. I only access it through the web browser from my home network on my laptop running Win7 x64. The router is a MI424WR-GEN3I (frontier service). I'm looking for a way to access it outside my network in the same way through the browser ideally. So I can change the mining configuration while out and about.

I have it on the static address (192.168.1.99), each time I switched it to DHCP the Antminer would not work correctly. I signed up for no-ip.com for DDOS to attempt to forward the access out. But after creating the last port forward rule for my Antminers address on my home router, it still isn't working correctly.

Currently when I access my home network/port (assigned to the Antminer) through Firefox. It shows the following:

CMD=GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: XXXXXXXXXXX (My network address/port)
user-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:30.0_ Gecko/20100101 Firefox/30.0
Accept: text/html\,application/xhtml|STATUS=E,When=1402685318,Code=14,Msg=Invalid command,Description=cgminer 3.12.0|CMD=xml\,application/xml;q\=0.9\,*/*;q\=0.8
Accept-Language: en=US\,en;q\=0.5
Accept-Encoding: gzip\, deflate
Connection: keep-alive

|STATUS=E,When=1402685318,Code=14,Msg=Invalid command,Description=cgminer 3.12.0|

It looks like to me I'm opening up a file/packet from cgminer. When I attempt to access it through Chrome it starts an instant 566kb file to download. Opening up the file in Notepad++ shows the same values shown above in Firefox.

Anyone know what port forward settings I need to use to have it come up correctly? If you have another way that you use to access your Antminer S1/S2 system from your home network outside it, please share it.

As a side note, I also suggest everyone that owns an Antminer S2 reads over [Dogie's Comprehensive Bitmain AntMiner S2 Setup]https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=518205.0 as well. It goes over a great deal with common and some complex issues that have been experienced so far with this hardware.

Thank you for your time and good luck mining!

Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2014, 04:34:28 PM

Wouldn't you just setup a port forwarding rule on your router to send port 80 to 192.168.1.99?

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
pixelpowered (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 05:43:29 PM

I did just that and the results were receiving the output I described above through FireFox and chrome.

jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2014, 06:56:32 PM

I did just that and the results were receiving the output I described above through FireFox and chrome.
I figured you must have, but thought I'd throw out the obvious choice first Smiley.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
Mister S

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 06:57:20 PM

Set your incoming port to some random 4 number port. Outgoing is 80.

Then you would connect to your external IP address:4numberport

such as 123.123.123.123:1234 > 192.168.1.99:80

root:root becomes out of the question, though. You'll need to strengthen your password to the miner.

Pathi

Activity: 244

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 07:48:29 PM

I have several systems at my home that I like to access remotely. What I have setup is an old desktop with vnc running on it. I have a dns entry at dyndns.net that points to this box.

I remote into this computer, then run the config page for my miners. I also have the ability to rdp into my other windows boxes, or ssh into my Linux box. From this computer.

A couple of notes:
Do not put anything important on the computer visible to the internet.
Do not use the same username/password combo for any of the systems you will access from this computer.
Personally I have vnc restricted to a couple of mac addresses to tighten things up a little more.
cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 07:54:13 PM

Check if the antminer has some sort of firewall that only lets it connect to computers on the same subnet.  Also check if you need to forward https port as well.  But, I think it's a bad idea to expose it to the internet.  I can't imagine that it's hardened against attack.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
pixelpowered (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 08:53:17 PM

@Pathi - That's what I was going to do in the next couple days if there was not an alternative that anybody found. I figured asking for an alternative or hearing what others use would be a good start first.

@sp1 - Unfortunately the Antminer S2 (newest firmware) internal menus are not the same as the S1. A lot more power, but just with basic configuration without any of the settings you're describing. Looks like I'm setting up a sock-puppet box for this. Opening it up to the internet has already crossed my mind and I don't trust it to do it itself at this point.

Thank you everyone so far for giving this a look through or responding to this post.

aosmith

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2014, 09:00:36 PM

Salutations everyone,

I've been mining a while with some Antminer S2's in different pools to test out the configuration. I only access it through the web browser from my home network on my laptop running Win7 x64. The router is a MI424WR-GEN3I (frontier service). I'm looking for a way to access it outside my network in the same way through the browser ideally. So I can change the mining configuration while out and about.

I have it on the static address (192.168.1.99), each time I switched it to DHCP the Antminer would not work correctly. I signed up for no-ip.com for DDOS to attempt to forward the access out. But after creating the last port forward rule for my Antminers address on my home router, it still isn't working correctly.

Currently when I access my home network/port (assigned to the Antminer) through Firefox. It shows the following:

CMD=GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: XXXXXXXXXXX (My network address/port)
user-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:30.0_ Gecko/20100101 Firefox/30.0
Accept: text/html\,application/xhtml|STATUS=E,When=1402685318,Code=14,Msg=Invalid command,Description=cgminer 3.12.0|CMD=xml\,application/xml;q\=0.9\,*/*;q\=0.8
Accept-Language: en=US\,en;q\=0.5
Accept-Encoding: gzip\, deflate
Connection: keep-alive

|STATUS=E,When=1402685318,Code=14,Msg=Invalid command,Description=cgminer 3.12.0|

It looks like to me I'm opening up a file/packet from cgminer. When I attempt to access it through Chrome it starts an instant 566kb file to download. Opening up the file in Notepad++ shows the same values shown above in Firefox.

Anyone know what port forward settings I need to use to have it come up correctly? If you have another way that you use to access your Antminer S1/S2 system from your home network outside it, please share it.

As a side note, I also suggest everyone that owns an Antminer S2 reads over [Dogie's Comprehensive Bitmain AntMiner S2 Setup]https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=518205.0 as well. It goes over a great deal with common and some complex issues that have been experienced so far with this hardware.

Thank you for your time and good luck mining!

Your best bet is probably using an ssh tunnel into the network.  That way (assuming you have a machine that's always on) you don't have to advertise any ports except ssh.  You should also turn off password authentication add fail2ban etc.  One command on your laptop opens the tunnel and then you'd pull up the same internal ip on a different port from your laptop.
boliu

Activity: 267

6th BTC reached. Thank you for your support

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 05:47:30 PM

I have Teamviewer install to manage my home computer, so I just use that as well. 

lowbander80
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 05:25:59 PM

hamatsi try it other wise I have been told to use a VPN server
give us feedback when you solve it I need more info too
nwfella
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1000

Well hello there!

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 10:29:47 PM

I have Teamviewer install to manage my home computer, so I just use that as well. 
Teamviewer works great as a windows-based solution if you want to avoid all the headaches associated with port-forwarding, etc.

Just setup some sort of proxy-system with teamviewer installed that has access to all the subnets for S2's that you want to be able to access.  You can then either access the web-interface or download putty and ssh into the box.

¯¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪̀●́)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Gimme the crypto!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: