Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 04:42:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestion: A decentralized approach to fight forum SPAM  (Read 907 times)
BitCoinDream (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 09:27:34 PM

In the last few week we have seen many forum accounts are getting banned and alts are asking for explanation. So I was thinking for some time if a generalized approach can be implemented to fight SPAM.

We already have an ignore button and that is mostly used for trolls. If it is implemented that for N number of ignore received, one will be qualified for a ban judgement of a Mod, then probably the whole SPAM-BAN act may get more rationality and at the same time may offload the effort of the Mods to find out Spammers.

We have already seen, this kind of an approach works good to find SPAM posts. So, maybe this work for finding Spammers too...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2014, 01:18:13 AM

This isn't really beneficial. One could use puppets and ask others to ignore a single person and make the mod look at the account for no reason.
Also some (anonymity) talk nonsense (not trolling), and get ignored by many. I'm pretty sure that mods can track who is spamming and efficiently ban each individual.

I know from experience.  Cheesy Cool

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
BitCoinDream (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 11:07:43 AM

This isn't really beneficial. One could use puppets and ask others to ignore a single person and make the mod look at the account for no reason.
Also some (anonymity) talk nonsense (not trolling), and get ignored by many. I'm pretty sure that mods can track who is spamming and efficiently ban each individual.

I know from experience.  Cheesy Cool

This can easily be avoided by using X activity count to be eligible for ignoring someone that would be elevated to Mods.

I did not understand your second part. Were u banned too ?

medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2014, 11:24:08 AM

This has been suggested before. Forgot how the discussion when, but it wasn't implemented. I never use the "ignore" button. Spammers do not spam in every single post, once in a while they write good replies too. I use the "report to moderator" button to report excessive spamming.
BitCoinDream (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 07:44:05 PM

This has been suggested before. Forgot how the discussion when, but it wasn't implemented. I never use the "ignore" button. Spammers do not spam in every single post, once in a while they write good replies too. I use the "report to moderator" button to report excessive spamming.

report to moderator is used to report against a post. But here I'm suggesting a way to report against the poster. I have seen sometime people use the Trust signal to identify a Spammer. This is wrong. Because a Spammer is NOT a Scammer. Unnecessarily pointing someone as a scammer may turn him into a real scammer ...which is NOT good for the community.

Brewins
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 09:32:35 PM

People will use that to make false acusations to others. Making only members up to X activity will only make it harder to do, but it still going to happen - there are many people with lots of time, or lots of btc to buy accounts

I think a warning system and a waiting time ban(people get 20 min waiting time for some days before getting banned) would be more effective, and less abuse-prone
BitCoinDream (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 09:43:49 PM

People will use that to make false acusations to others. Making only members up to X activity will only make it harder to do, but it still going to happen - there are many people with lots of time, or lots of btc to buy accounts

I think a warning system and a waiting time ban(people get 20 min waiting time for some days before getting banned) would be more effective, and less abuse-prone

False accusation is not a problem here. That takes place for reporting a post too. But ultimately it goes to the Mods for filtering out. So, anyone cant ban others only by having multiple high activity accounts.

I like this suggestion of including a waiting time rather than direct ban at first.

Malin Keshar

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 12:35:49 AM

Some people put in ignore list people that are in signature campaigns, and only "whitelist" them if they see through quotes they really make constructive posts, so anyone joining signature campaigns, or is not quoted a lot, would be automatically flagged
DannyElfman

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 04:16:45 AM

I never use the ignore button. And even with activity in mind, I doubt you could stop people from using sock puppets to get others banned. There is already a "report" button if someone is spamming.

This spot for rent.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: