Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:35:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Holy Grail! I wish I could kiss the author of Bitmessage on his face.  (Read 92687 times)
troisky

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 09:24:39 PM

Why dont they add decentralized chat in the bitcoin wallet?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
mere-mortal

Activity: 112

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 06:05:42 AM

Isn't Bitmessage incorporated into Open Bazaar?

If you look at some of the videos on OpenTransactions, FellowT mentions that different encryption methods can be used for messaging and Bitmessage is one being used, at least that is my understanding, so is this thread a discussion solely about Bitmessage and its future, or its use within OT? Its a thread that was started in May 2013, and a lot has happened since.

Pretty much everything about OpenBazaar is a carbon copy of OpenTransaction, One Works through browser, the other a desktop client
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2014, 12:30:12 AM

So what do the Snr's and legends think is going to come of this tech

Looks like just an encryption layer on top of existing centralized-server based communication mediums. BitMessage aimed to replace the actual communications channel with a decentralized peer-to-peer model, not just add encryption.

If you look at some of the videos on OpenTransactions, FellowT mentions that different encryption methods can be used for messaging and Bitmessage is one being used, at least that is my understanding, so is this thread a discussion solely about Bitmessage and its future, or its use within OT? Its a thread that was started in May 2013, and a lot has happened since.

Pretty much everything about OpenBazaar is a carbon copy of OpenTransaction, One Works through browser, the other a desktop client

I think this thread is mainly about OpenTransactions. Also, OT and OpenBazaar are very different from what I have seen so far. Sure, maybe you could make OpenTransactions do everything OpenBazaar does, but you would have to change a lot of the code and write a lot of your own, since one is specifically designed to issue digital tokens and trade them around, and the other is specifically made to market and sell physical products.
vipgelsi
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 02:52:54 AM

Because it would make to much sense.  Wink
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2014, 04:42:19 AM

Because it would make to much sense.  Wink

No, because decentralize everything means decentralize everything. We don't want to lump everything together, because it would make the Blockchain bloated, bitcoin wallets cumbersome, and lock us to a single main way of communicating, instead of being able to experiment with new ideas on the site, such as with BitMessage.
mere-mortal

Activity: 112

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 07:50:01 AM

So what do the Snr's and legends think is going to come of this tech

Looks like just an encryption layer on top of existing centralized-server based communication mediums. BitMessage aimed to replace the actual communications channel with a decentralized peer-to-peer model, not just add encryption.

I think this thread is mainly about OpenTransactions. Also, OT and OpenBazaar are very different from what I have seen so far. Sure, maybe you could make OpenTransactions do everything OpenBazaar does, but you would have to change a lot of the code and write a lot of your own, since one is specifically designed to issue digital tokens and trade them around, and the other is specifically made to market and sell physical products.

Fair enough, and I am not here to compare either. I believe there is more to OT than you say, and its Bazaar feature is what I am talking about, which is to market and sell physical products. Using multisig and bitmessage.
fellowtraveler (OP)

Activity: 440
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 02:08:31 PM

Just noticed there is some activity in this thread, so I wanted to answer these questions...

Quote from: sukrim
So ~1.5 years later... what exactly is still missing that OpenTransactions can finally take off?

Open-Transactions itself is fully-functional.

What's still missing is the voting pools (using multi-sig to prevent the OT server from stealing any Bitcoins transacted there.)

However, Monetas is hard at work building the voting pools...
You can read updates on the Monetas blog: http://monetas.net/blog/

Design info for voting pools has started popping up on the OT wiki: http://opentransactions.org/wiki/index.php/Voting_Pool_Deposit_Process

Once voting pools are ready, it should "take off," as you say. It will take a few more months.

Quote from: mere-mortal
If you look at some of the videos on OpenTransactions, FellowT mentions that different encryption methods can be used for messaging and Bitmessage is one being used, at least that is my understanding

Here's the latest video update: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJKWDC4q5rA

As you can see from the video, we are agnostic to the exact transport method, with Bitmessage being only the first integration.

However, Bitmessage is now fully-integrated and working in the Moneychanger desktop client! (As of the past couple months, as shown in the video.)

Now that we have Bitmessage integrated, we can start adding the features described in this thread, such as cross-server discovery for trading, legacy bank integration, etc. (And of course, the Bazaar feature.)

Quote from: mere-mortal
Fair enough, and I am not here to compare either. I believe there is more to OT than you say, and its Bazaar feature is what I am talking about, which is to market and sell physical products. Using multisig and bitmessage.

To be clear: Bitmessage is not integrated into OT itself. Rather, it's integrated in the Moneychanger desktop client.

Similarly, the Bazaar will not be built into OT itself. Rather, it's now being built into the Moneychanger desktop client. Here is some of the design info: http://opentransactions.org/forum/index.php?topic=3821.0

The basic concept is to have decentralized markets for goods and services, sort of like e-Bay, except without the server. Like a P2P version of e-Bay.

To whatever degree we have inspired any other projects, that's great! Let's change the world.

co-founder, Monetas
creator, Open-Transactions
TheFascistMind

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 01:42:47 PM

Official version of Bitmessage is functioning for me again, even though the broadcast spam is still high.

Apparently many users moved to the new experimental version.
lclc

Activity: 298
Merit: 275

Bitcoin Association Switzerland

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2015, 03:23:33 PM

Any plans for a release 1.0 ?

I said I'd collect my bounty when 1.0 is released, but that was very long time ago.

Would be nice if I can get the bounty paid out to this address within the next days:
1VhNZaUAxQXxbRFuxtL8ZoqE6WnJ4Bpqu

If anything needs additional fix please let me know.

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 08:27:38 PM

I said I'd collect my bounty when 1.0 is released, but that was very long time ago.

Would be nice if I can get the bounty paid out to this address within the next days:

Hmmm, that reminds me of all that library work done on Moneychanger ...

fellowtraveler (OP)

Activity: 440
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 13, 2015, 01:39:59 PM

Absolutely.

The appropriate thread is the bounty thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=225954.240

Go ahead and post there to refresh my memory on the job you did, and I will verify it and pay out the bounty. (I believe it was internationalization? But let's take this to the appropriate thread.)

co-founder, Monetas
creator, Open-Transactions
minimalB
Donator

Activity: 674
Merit: 522

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 11:13:57 PM

Chris, any comment why you left Monetas?
_mr_e
Legendary

Activity: 817
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 18, 2015, 02:18:02 AM

Chris, any comment why you left Monetas?

Chris Odem left Monetas???
minimalB
Donator

Activity: 674
Merit: 522

View Profile
March 18, 2015, 08:24:57 AM

Chris Odem left Monetas???

According to this news, yes.

http://monetas.net/news/
Elokane

Activity: 817
Merit: 1000

Truth is a consensus among neurons www.synereo.com

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2015, 03:07:05 AM

Hey guys. Have you heard about Synereo?

We're building a fully decentralized social networking platform. It's based on a distributed tech stack that's been in development for over four years.

We don't suffer from any of the problems that have plagued BitMessage as we do not rely on the blockchain for message transfer, but rather on our DendroNET.

We have a *working* distributed storage solution, a smart contracting system that’s based on decades of research and established practices (see code examples and implementation details in our whitepaper), and an attention economy model inspired by the brain’s neural networks.

Come check it out. Crowdsale starts tomorrow for our token, which has an inherent value in the network.

www.synereo.com

Synereo: liberating the Internet from abusive business models.

Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart, he dreams himself your master.
<br>
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20]  All
  Print  

Jump to: